Maple Bowl: Chatoyance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

Maple bowl, 5 1/2" x 2" This guy has a lot of chatoyance! Really hard to a good photo. The thing is just glimmering. Just slightly moving the bowl the grain moves and changes color and glimmer... like it is 3D.

Ten coats of Friction Polish. (Boiled Linseed Oil/Shellac/DeNatured Alcohol.)

Attachments

• Maple 2g.png
    Maple 2g.png
    780.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Maple 2h.png
    Maple 2h.png
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • Maple 2b.png
    Maple 2b.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • Maple 2c.png
    Maple 2c.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • Maple 2f.png
    Maple 2f.png
    851.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Maple 2e.png
    Maple 2e.png
    677.1 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. Very cool! It is too bad that pictures just cant do justice to chatoyance in wood. I'll bet it is gorgeous. Maybe someday I will be able to muster up the bravery to turn something bigger than a pen. - Dave

PreacherJon

Greetings from Nebraska. Very cool! It is too bad that pictures just cant do justice to chatoyance in wood. I'll bet it is gorgeous. Maybe someday I will be able to muster up the bravery to turn something bigger than a pen. - Dave
You can kinda see it in the photos where it is still mounted on the lathe.

I think bowls are actually easier to do than pens.... I started on pens too and did them for about 5 years before I turned to bowls and pepper mills... I tell people it took me 5 years to learn to turn a bowl.

One issue was my first lathe was a Home Depot lathe, I forget the brand name now, but it was actually a spindle lathe as the slowest speed it had was 750 rpm and an out of balance blank would cause the lathe to start walking.... I'll turn a bowl at 800-1000 rpms, but only after I get it rounded.... my current lathe is heavy enough to handled a little bit of out of round, but still keep the speed slower.

I've given up on pens because it's more fund to do the bowls and pepper mills. And I don't have to have a magnify glass to see what I'm turning.

Joebobber

I like to turn bowls when I get sick of pens. Doing 1 thing over n over again is more like a job than a hobby n I don't want to get sick of turning.

penicillin

That friction polish finish looks so good! Is it your homemade recipe or a commercial product? Would you care to share hints about how you applied it?

Joebobber

That friction polish finish looks so good! Is it your homemade recipe or a commercial product? Would you care to share hints about how you applied it?
Its on YouTube. I believe it's called "Shine Juice". It's ⅓Boiled linseed oil, ⅓ denatured alcohol, and ⅓ shellac. You have to shake it alot before every time you use it. I use it on all of my stuff.

PreacherJon

Joe's got it. One equal part of Boiled Linseed Oil, Shellac and, Denatured Alcohol. I just use a blue shop towel and fold it over several times to put on the polish. I press/wipe it on until my fingers get that hot feeling. Let it set a few minutes... do it again. Usually 7-10 coats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom