Manu Propria Pens - Bamboo Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Since I started making pens I was thinking about a clip concept that matches the Urushi Lacquer pens.
Lately I had the idea why not using bamboo. Bamboo is extremely durable, hard and also flexible.
This pen shows the first Bamboo Clip. The concept is not perfect yet and has to be refined also for lacquer pens

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Bamboo clip looks great...provides a nice organic sense to the pen. It seems that mounting a clip like this to the cap is a challenge due to the potential stresses that may be applied. Are you satisfied with the method of mounting the clip? Care to share details? Great work and fantastic result, as is your trademark!

manupropria

Thank's for the encouraging comments.
I have mounted the clip with urushi lacquer.
Urushi lacquer is a very durable glue, used for mounting spear and arrow heads.
Urushi cannot be destroide by acit, oil or water and copes with temperatures up to 300 degree C. The surface size in contact (glued) with the cap is around 0.75 cm2 and I cannot imagin that it can fall off respectively be pulled off

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank's for the encouraging comments.
I have mounted the clip with urushi lacquer.
Urushi lacquer is a very durable glue, used for mounting spear and arrow heads.
Urushi cannot be destroide by acit, oil or water and copes with temperatures up to 300 degree C. The surface size in contact (glued) with the cap is around 0.75 cm2 and I cannot imagin that it can fall off respectively be pulled off

We have been using the WRONG Finish on our pens! That is what we need! :) . . . but I am afraid . . . that the learning curve is more difficult than CA!

TG Design

Awesome looking pen. I really like the bamboo clip, very nice, it makes the pen.
What challenges do you face using bamboo for the body. Can you turn it? Or do you have to work it length wise?
How do find out more on Urushi lacquer?
Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TG Design

So I did some quick reading on Urushi, "Urushiol is the exact same substance found in poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac which causes rash and itchiness, so it is not advisable to handle liquid urushi with your bare hands unless you are one of the lucky few who are immune to it."
Looks like this is not a finish for me to attempt, I'm very susceptible to poison ivy, I just look at it and start itching. Darn, it looks like a very interesting process. I really like the history, tradition, and craftsmanship I read about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

manupropria

Thank you again.
The bamboo was carefully selected and drilled and filled with a Ebonite rod tat was glued in. To work with Urushi is definitely tricky and not easy but if one keeps the working place tidy there is no fear of rash and if, it is not killing you and the body get used to it with the time. I personally am immune to it.
In the Library on my website you can find many interesting information and publications on urushi
https://www.manupropria-pens.ch/welcome/Library.html

Best regards,

Martin

Top Bottom