Making bushings from Brass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

Any downside to using brass?

I'm making a set of bushings for the MAJESTIC kit, and realized I needed 3/4 stock to make the bushings for the lid (Damn, its a big kit! :bulgy-eyes:). and all I in had in the basement was brass.

I just wondering if they would wear signifigantly faster?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I would say that is the biggest downside. They will wear down fast. If you touch the brass with sandpaper by accident, it's probably going to increase your chances of black dust penetrating your wood too. But, they would be very pretty bushings.

Sylvanite

I make bushings for rifle cartridge pens out of the case head. Even the nickel-plated ones are pretty soft and wear more quickly than steel. You'll need to be careful when sanding.

Besides that, brass works just fine.

Regards,
Eric

leehljp

Member Liaison
IF you measure/size with calipers, it won't matter if the bushing shoulder wears. Even old ones that have enough shoulder to hold the tube firm can be used over and over if the sizing is determined by calipers.

If the bushings are removed before final sanding, that will eliminate the sanding dust. If you don't want to do that, make some "washers" from throw away plastic/nylon lids (tupperwear type) and this will give you a small amount of "breathing room" for sanding without hitting the bushings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom