Magnetic in Segmented Walnut, Cherry, and Tongue Depressor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Hello fellow IAP members,

Today I tried my had at a more complex segmented blank. It isn't perfect, but I did learn a lot and have some new tweaks to try the next time. The blank is made from Walnut, Cherry, and Tongue Depressor in the style some would refer to as Gisi. I finished it with GluBoost that came from Ed at Exotic Blanks. The kit is a Gunmetal Magnetic from Crooked Mill that I got before I realized I could get the Zen from EB instead.

I used my own 30-degree fixture with the technique I learned from Ken Burgess (KenB259) to cut the segments. One of the things I think that will improve things the next time is to build a sanding fixture so that I can touch up the saw cuts while keeping a more perfect angle.

Anyhow, here are the pictures,
Dave

IMG_3776 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3778 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3779 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3780 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

That looks great. Funny thing I was thinking about popsicle sticks just yesterday. I looked them up and learned most of them are made of birch, I imagine tongue depressors are too. Glad to know I helped in a small way.

monophoto

Yeah! I keep both tongue depressors and popsicle sticks in my shop - great for use as fillers, glue spreaders, pain stirrers. etc. Find them in the crafting area in the dollar store.

MedWoodWorx

Hello fellow IAP members,

Today I tried my had at a more complex segmented blank. It isn't perfect, but I did learn a lot and have some new tweaks to try the next time. The blank is made from Walnut, Cherry, and Tongue Depressor in the style some would refer to as Gisi. I finished it with GluBoost that came from Ed at Exotic Blanks. The kit is a Gunmetal Magnetic from Crooked Mill that I got before I realized I could get the Zen from EB instead.

I used my own 30-degree fixture with the technique I learned from Ken Burgess (KenB259) to cut the segments. One of the things I think that will improve things the next time is to build a sanding fixture so that I can touch up the saw cuts while keeping a more perfect angle.

Anyhow, here are the pictures,
Dave

View attachment 358898

View attachment 358899
View attachment 358900
View attachment 358901
very nice work!! tongue depressors are tricky:very thin (~1.5 mm) birch that is not rigid enough when layered and clamped together. a small bent is formed at the point where the clamp is applied affecting the segmentation. I know its tempting but cutting your own strips from hardwoods improves the end result greatly. cheers

GaryMGg

This is a very attractive pen.
I'm not sure but Picture #3 shows some issues which suggest a need to back up the cut to prevent blowout. It appears that could be why there's a filler?
I've taken to ripping very thin strips of maple using an oversized (very long) push stick which I hold against the fence with a second long-handled push stick.

I can thus create extremely thin rips safely.
It's worth thinking about.

egnald

This is a very attractive pen.
I'm not sure but Picture #3 shows some issues which suggest a need to back up the cut to prevent blowout. It appears that could be why there's a filler?
I've taken to ripping very thin strips of maple using an oversized (very long) push stick which I hold against the fence with a second long-handled push stick.

I can thus create extremely thin rips safely.
It's worth thinking about.
Yes, the 3rd picture shows an area on one of the chevrons that just didn't get glued tightly enough. I think it was due to a slight mismatch of the angles between the two pieces. I considered this a "learning" blank so I could work out some of the kinks. I think it did its job. - Dave

egnald

David
You did a great job.
What tools are you using for your segmenting: TS, BS, or MS?
I started out with a sled on my table saw, but it is way too cumbersome to use (small shop). Then I went to the bandsaw with a sled/jig for this one, I will be making a complimentary sled for my sander so I can clean up the saw marks without tweaking the angles. - Dave

GaryMGg

I've never found the BS to be as accurate as the TS so I'll be watching with interest.
Personally, I use a TS for most of my WW and hope to get back to pen making around March.
For pen-making, I had a number of small, specialized sleds.
They don't fit my current saw and I'll be re-making them.
It's been a long time since I've done any real turning.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very well done. Something to consider... Adding a veneer between the Chevron sections (top to bottom) will break the visual where any misalignment with the Chevron tips align, will help. With no veneer, any minuscule misalignment (2'nd from the left) is noticeable. With a veneer it really masks misalignment alot (if it is close - your's are darn nice). If it was me, for consistency I would use the tongue depressor for the veneer. Many of my Chevrons had slight misalignments, but the middle veneer hid alot. Mine are thinner, but the thought still stands.

Nice work; thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• AD3AAA53-0D77-4C70-AA36-DA4473672D2C_1_201_a.jpeg
    AD3AAA53-0D77-4C70-AA36-DA4473672D2C_1_201_a.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 41

egnald

Very well done. Something to consider... Adding a veneer between the Chevron sections (top to bottom) will break the visual where any misalignment with the Chevron tips align, will help. With no veneer, any minuscule misalignment (2'nd from the left) is noticeable. With a veneer it really masks misalignment alot (if it is close - your's are darn nice). If it was me, for consistency I would use the tongue depressor for the veneer. Many of my Chevrons had slight misalignments, but the middle veneer hid alot. Mine are thinner, but the thought still stands.

I never thought of that. I think I can also use that to my advantage as far as the steps I will go through for glue up. - Thanks for the idea - Dave

sorcerertd

That's really nice, Dave! The segmenting and the finish are both great.

That looks great. Funny thing I was thinking about popsicle sticks just yesterday. I looked them up and learned most of them are made of birch, I imagine tongue depressors are too. Glad to know I helped in a small way.
Ha, we all know what birch tastes like now. :p

Mark, that's cheating... and also brilliant. :D

Top Bottom