Elegant Monarch in Bocote

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska IAP,

This afternoon I cut a leftover piece of Bocote that I got from WoodCraft into blanks. It made about a dozen that are 1" square by 5" and about a dozen that are 1" square by 9" for closed end desk sets and in case I ever get started doing kit-less.

There was a short cutoff that was left just big enough for a Sierra style, so I grabbed an Elegant Monarch in Antique Bronze from The Classic Nib. I really like their Elegant Monarch kits especially the ones that have the cross on the center band. The Bocote did surprise me a little because it turned a lot lighter in color than I am used to seeing for Bocote. I used my standard CA regimen for the finish. I may have to try some Boiled Linseed Oil on one to see if it darkens it up. Either that or just let it age a few weeks before putting on a finish to see if the color matures with time and exposure.

Anyhow, here is how it turned out.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3768 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3764 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3765 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3766 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3767 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Great looking blank, Dave. I think darkening it with BLO or some other darkening finish would take away from the fabulous grain presentation of that gorgeous hunk-o'-wood.

derekdd

These days, Bocote is just about my favorite wood to make pens with.

Always eye popping grain like yours, Dave. That pen looks great and what an elegant looking kit.

People regularly pick up pens made of Bocote at shows.

sorcerertd

Nice pen! The lighter color is not a bad thing at all. It's still a beautiful piece of wood and well paired with that kit. I didn't realize they had the cross bands available. The Joshua band looks really nice, too.

Top Bottom