Magical Wands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

Just kidding. But these are what have kept me busy turning these last few days. This a replacement batch for a set that the post office helped to truly become magical - as in they disappeared.

These are on their way to Ken Nelson (Kallenshaan Woods) to be engraved with the phrase "Automagic".

The wands are Padauk and Walnut. They are approx 9"long, 1/2" diam (handle), and less than 1/4" diam (blade). They are intended to be corporate gifts from a former manager where I work. Her director was constantly dropping projects in her lap till it became a joke that she was expected to wave her magic wand. When she left the company, she wanted to give all of her co-workers a wand of their own :).

Fun to make the first few times, but after 32 of these, I hope I'm DONE.
Wands2%20001_sized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Those are super neat. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea and make one or to of them. Thanks for sharing them with us.

C_Ludwigsen

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Those are super neat. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea and make one or to of them. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Help yourself. I suggest a set of #1 jaws for your chuck. It can be done without it, but it helps a lot. [:D]

Mikey

Nice!

how does one get the long, thin wand end? If I tried something that thin on my lathe, I'd have toothpicks flying around my head[:(]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />Nice!

how does one get the long, thin wand end? If I tried something that thin on my lathe, I'd have toothpicks flying around my head[:(]

I made some wands using maple dowel and held the thin end in my live center tailstock. After tapering, I wasted about 1/2" and parted off.

200614143825_HP%20magic%20wands.jpg
<br />

C_Ludwigsen

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />Nice!

Thanks all,

Mikey, I cut the blanks at 3/4" square by 10" long. I put the headstock end in the #1 jaws of my chuck and bring the live center up to support the tailstock end.

I start cutting at the tailstock end so there is wood to support it at the headstock end. I get about an inch turned and rough sand it, then work on the next inch. As you move farther down, just take light cuts with a sharp tool. Trust me, I broke a few.

I do not part the tailstock end off until the whole wand is turned, sanded, and finished. I then finish turning the ball at the tip and part the last little bit off. There is still enough support at this point to part the headstock end.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom