Atlanta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

Just got back from a LONG weekend in Atlanta for my nephew's wedding. While I was there to kill some time between family events (actually it was all inlaws) I searched out some Atlanta woodworking stores. First was Woodcraft, looked pretty much like they all do with lots of expensive stuff and I didn't spend a penny. The next day I went to Highland Hardware, what a great experience! Full of hard-to-find items including some small brass knobs I needed for a jewelry box I was delivering to my niece as a Christmas present. Very helpful folks with a down-home old-fashioned atmosphere. Lots of turning tools and other turning stuff, some of which I just had to have. Then on Saturday I decided to seek out the Rockler store, it's not very big but sure was loaded. It was like walking through their entire catalog, but with more stuff. Good coffee, great sales staff, and beautiful wood. Spent way too much. If any of you ever get to Atlanta stop in Rockler and Highland Hardware, and thumb through a Woodcraft catalog :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I live in Atlanta and frequent all 3 but practically live at Highland Hardware. If you want a true 'experience' in shopping for rare wood go to Carlton McClendon Rare Woods. It has been there for decades and is piled high with some of the rarest woods you will ever see. That and Highland Hardware are probably my favorite places anywhere.

RPM

I live about 10 minutes from Highland Hardware and that's dangerous for your wallet. It is a great store to just wander around in.
Richard

woodwish

Chris, I'm going back up there at the end of the month so I may give McClendon a stop. Thanks for the tip! If I lived that close to Highland Hardware I probably would not spend nearly as much time in the shop as I do here, hanging around Home Depot just doesn't have the appeal that Highland Hardware has.[;)]

Czarcastic

I second the suggestion for Carlton's Rare Woods. I stopped there this summer on the way through Atlanta. Blew the remainder of my vacation budget on some awesome burls.
The place is a dive... Its an old brick building situated behind a gas station on a busy street (Hemphill ave). You walk in and its wall-to-wall exotic wood and a layer of sawdust that looks like it hasn't been wiped down since 1965.
But the folks there REALLY know their stuff, and are great to talk to... plus, you'll see woods there that you've never seen before and probably won't see again.
If you're going back to Atlanta, its well worth the trip.
BTW... Link to their website --> http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom