Magical Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I saw an ad for a Magical Skew made by T. Shadow & CO (DELUXE MAGICAL SKEW - T. Shadow & Co. LLC). I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's used it or who knows where I can find videos of it or something. I've used traditional skews and EZ Wood carbide tools. I would like to know more about this tool.

I'm not interested in a discussion of whether or not this is really a skew. Thanks in advance to anyone who has relevant info.

Steve

JimB

It appears to be a carbide tool that is used as a shear scraper. If you want to know how it is to use just take your EWT and roll it over 45 degrees and go. This is a common method used with HSS scrapers. There is nothing magical about it. It is still a carbide scraper, not a skew.

Magicbob

The Magical Skew presents the cutter at a 30 degree angle to the work.
It cuts it does not scrape.
The shape of the bar allows for repeatable angle placement.
On hard, soft or punky woods and plastics it does not tear the chips away it cuts, and it leaves a smooth skew like finish.
The magic comes in the 2 minute learning curve as opposed to a regular skew.

Berea Hardwoods, Signature Pen Supply, and The Classic Nib all have stock.
Hartville Hardware will be adding it soon, or see the website T. Shadow & Co. LLC.

No videos yet, sorry, but we are working on it.

brownsfn2

I have seen these in person at MPG. In my opinion it is a high quality made tool that allows for a comfortable repeatable angle and provides a more steady angle for a carbide cutter. I almost always address my work piece at a 30-45 degree angle to get more of a cutting action than a scraping action. This would do it for you. Nice work Bob. ;)

MTViper

The Magical Skew presents the cutter at a 30 degree angle to the work.
It cuts it does not scrape.
The shape of the bar allows for repeatable angle placement.
On hard, soft or punky woods and plastics it does not tear the chips away it cuts, and it leaves a smooth skew like finish.
The magic comes in the 2 minute learning curve as opposed to a regular skew.

No videos yet, sorry, but we are working on it.

Thanks Bob,

I've looked at it on your site and on Berea's site. I'd like to see it in operation before I buy one so I was hoping for a video, but after searching YouTube, I knew if there were any someone here might know. Looks like a quality product.

Steve

keithncsu

I bought one a few weeks to a month ago and haven't used anytning else. I use the square cutter start to finish. Depending on what I'm doing at the moment I either use it flat to the work or at the 30 degree angle. Works great!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Won mine at the last bash. Works fine as advertised. I've even turned metal (mostly nickle silver) with it. My only complaints are that I wish the handle was longer and that a square cutter (no radius) was available. I know its designed mostly for pens, but for me, I would like it at least 12" instead of about 6" handle. The no radius cutter is needed to make 90 degree tenons. Still a good tool and a nice addition to my set.

We sell (and use) The Magic Skew at the Classic Nib - It does all it is advertised to do. Regarding the radius versus square cutter mentioned by Bruce - While the tool comes with a 15MM radius cutter please be aware that any 18MM square cutter will fit the handle. Also when I spoke to Bob at MAPG he said development is already in the works to make the tool handle longer. I have large hands and the current handle is a little short for me.

Gunnarkouper

Passed Away Sep 21, 2018
In Memoriam
Magic Skew

I bought a round carbide Magic Skew at the MPG and used it for about a month and then I ordered the Magic Skew with the square cutter. Both tools are fantastic and all I use presently. Worth the investment.

low_48

It's my guess it would be hard to get a smooth long taper or straight long cylinder with it. The advantage of a real skew is the you have the long bevel, and it acts like a hand plane. Nearly all carbide tools suffer the same disadvantage. They cut only as smoothly as you can move it along the tool rest.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for all the testimonials. I guess this is next on my tool list.

Thanks for asking this question. I have had trouble with anything but round shafts because so far square shafts act like scrappers. I have my perfect scraper and nothing else comes close (for me.) This one is square but presents the cutting blade at an angle. Seems intriguing.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have been following this thread, and intentionally did not post for a bit.

Disclosure: Magicbob is a friend of mine, we both are active in the Ohio IAP Chapter and have gone together to the last two MPG's as well as the last MAPG.

I wanted a few others to give some opinions first.

However - I did a "pre-production" test-drive on the Magical Skew earlier this year. I was very impressed with the MS.

Hank: The tool shaft is not square riding on it's point - it rides on a flat, with the shaft on an angle.

Some pics will help:

Some of the tool; some with comparisons between the Easy Wood Round; and of my tool. Note: Magicbob did not have handles at this time, and as Bruce has indicated, you may want to go with a longer handle; I believe mine is about 14".

The three blanks are: #1 - Cherry, # 2 - Walnut, # 3 Oak

The tight grained Cherry had a noticeable advantage for the Magical Skew; the Walnut and Oak, less so, but still a cleaner cut.

These are my opinions only. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

low_48

What keeps it from loosening the squared carbide when you cut to the left, if you get the cut a little below the center of the carbide? Won't it try to unthread the screw?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
What keeps it from loosening the squared carbide when you cut to the left, if you get the cut a little below the center of the carbide? Won't it try to unthread the screw?

Hi Rich: I have not used it yet for anything larger than pens, and have not had that issue. I suppose for stoppers, bowls, etc that is a possibility. I have also been using it turn down segmented blanks (Brick style), so I have been using a "light touch."

I have used the Easy Wood cutters as that is what I had, and they tightened down just fine. Now that Magicbob is carrying cutters, I'm not sure if that is an issue.

Magicbob

I recommend a drop of thin CA on the side of the cutter -to- bar joint, this will keep it from coming loose(at least for me) I have used it right to left and left to right on larger turnings with no problems, just be careful not to let the corner of the cutter dig in. I like the 16mm round myself, but do have one of each at my lathe and use them both alot.
The long handle will be available around the end of the month, along with some new items.
Bruce, I can get 15mm square carbide if you want, just let me know.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I have large hands and the current handle is a little short for me.[/quote

Niels, How short is short? 6" handle? How much longer will the new handle be? Inquiring minds want to know!
Freddie

BKind2Anmls

I am not an expert but I don't find it any easier to use than the other carbide tools. I can keep the others on any angle I need. This Magic Skew is a little bit harder to use on a round tool rest, IMHO. I also don't like that it has a very short handle.

I have large hands and the current handle is a little short for me.[/quote

Niels, How short is short? 6" handle? How much longer will the new handle be? Inquiring minds want to know!
Freddie

I would have to measure for accuracy Freddie, however I think about 8 inches or so. Bob has not graced me with the specs for the new handle yet. I prefer a longer handle in general - different tastes for different turners - I am tall (you know LOL) and have long arms so it just feels small to me - for most people it is made at a nice length.

MTViper

Got my Magical Skew with the long handle earlier this week, but today was the first chance I had to try it out. I love it! After about 2 minutes, I was very comfortable using it. I have never used the tool with the short handle so I don't have that to compare to. The new handle feels very secure and very comfortable in my hands.

I practiced with a piece of red oak in spindle mode. Turned it round, then used the Magical Skew on half of the piece and a traditional skew (5/8" Alan Lacer with round grind) on the other half. I found no difference in the size of the shavings or the quality of the cut. This tool is not as grabby as a traditional skew. I'm very happy with the Magical Skew. Good job Bob!

Steve

Magicbob

Thanks for the kind words.

FYI
The long handle is now in stock 12 3/4" long
I hope to have it on the website early next week (very busy weekend)
If you want one sooner, just call, cost is $39

Paul in OKC

I make my shanks round for both round and square carbide inserts. I can use them flat or at an angle. Never understood square shanks.

Made a carbide tool years ago before they were popular. Made a round shank round cutter. The issue with the round shank is if the insert gets a hard catch, it will turn in your hand. I didn't like it. didn't think about doing a square shank until I saw one.....duh! That my .02

mecompco

I will look into those.

It seems like I am hearing that either the square or the round head can be used start to finish?

I've been using mine for over a year now, haven't touched my HSS tools since. It really is a pen turning machine, at least for me. The hefty metal handle is top quality--it's a really beefy tool.

I alternate between cutting and scraping as I see fit. With a reasonably sharp cutter I can easily leave a finish on plastic blanks that require little to no sanding.

I'm sure a tool with a round shaft could also be used this way, but as Bob says, the hex shaft gives you an easily indexed and repeatable angle. If you want to scrape, simply hold the tool flat to the work.

I highly recommend the R2 cutter--it is what I use start to finish, but it will also take square and round cutters.

Regards,
Michael

chartle

Not sure if I should tack on to this thread or start another, but Bob I finally got to use the Magical Skew I won at MPG (My hobby time is limited). But just started to use it on some Xmas items.

Is there a reason the end of the bar is squared off? Its like if I angle the bar just a little over 90 degrees either way the corner hits the blank.

Is it a way to sort of force us to make sure the tool is almost 100% square to the cut?

Just wondering before I take a grinder to the corners. :)

CaptainJane

Magic Skews on sale

I just ordered the triple combo, but was able to customize my bar choices. Use code Christmas18 to get 10% off. (There was an IAP thread last week announcing this)

Magicbob

Cliff,

The tool was originally designed using and 18mm round cutter. But when we got it in production we could not find the 18mm rounds so we used 16mm.
Feel free to grind as you see fit, it is yours.
I have modified one myself.
BTW, we have 18mm rounds now.

chartle

Cliff,

The tool was originally designed using and 18mm round cutter. But when we got it in production we could not find the 18mm rounds so we used 16mm.
Feel free to grind as you see fit, it is yours.
I have modified one myself.
BTW, we have 18mm rounds now.

Ok just making sure grinding the end wouldn't let any magic out. :biggrin:

TurnKC

Is there anything different with the MS than the other pen carbide tools from Rockler or other companies? The concept looks exactly the same? Or am I missing something?

Top Bottom