Ma latest pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CjG78

CjG78

Well this weekend was filled with turning these stunning blanks from an absolute guru and one of the nicest blokes I've ever met from the pen blank world, George ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ. His guidance and friendship has been invaluable and I couldn't have made such nice pens without him and and my sensei as I call him, Stephen Just, a very talented turner who inspired me to start turning when I sold him some wood about a year ago, asked him what he makes, saw pictures and was instantly fixated and curious. I want to try that I said!!
A few little finishing touches to improve on, but overall I'm very happy. I've been turning for about 8 months and I am completely hooked.
Left to right;
1/Cocobolo root burl on a Hurricane rollerball.
2/Honduras rosewood burl on Aston Martin fountain
3/PNG Rosewood burl on Aston Martin rollerball
4/Silver leaf maple burl on Aston Martin fountain
5/Desert Ironwood on ultra cigar
6/Afzelia xylay on ultra cigar
7/Redwood lace/curly horse chestnut Jr. Statesman fountain
8/Pheasantwood rollerball

Thanks for looking, I aspire to be a great pen maker in the future!
Cheers.
Casey Giddins ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ–‹๐Ÿ–‹๐Ÿ–‹๐Ÿ˜ƒ
20200413_215109.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Hello Casey, to me, it sure looks like you've reached the level you were aspiring to reach. These pens are beautiful, I love them all but one. And the one I don't care a lot for, is the segmented one. I'm sorry, but I never have cared much for a plain segmented pen like you've made. For me, a segmented pen blank should look a lot like Mark makes. The blanks don't have to be as fancy as he makes, but I prefer to see the wood worked on. What a segmented blank like this looks like to me, is that the blank maker didn't have enough wood to make the kit. And that the two woods were used, just to make a blank. Once again, I'm sorry if you find this reply to harsh, I can change it if you prefer? I don't reply to a lot of these type of postings, because I have a habit of upsetting people with my critiques of their work. But I prefer to be honest, rather than blowing smoke up someone's ass.

Len

CjG78

Hello Casey, to me, it sure looks like you've reached the level you were aspiring to reach. These pens are beautiful, I love them all but one. And the one I don't care a lot for, is the segmented one. I'm sorry, but I never have cared much for a plain segmented pen like you've made. For me, a segmented pen blank should look a lot like Mark makes. The blanks don't have to be as fancy as he makes, but I prefer to see the wood worked on. What a segmented blank like this looks like to me, is that the blank maker didn't have enough wood to make the kit. And that the two woods were used, just to make a blank. Once again, I'm sorry if you find this reply to harsh, I can change it if you prefer? I don't reply to a lot of these type of postings, because I have a habit of upsetting people with my critiques of their work. But I prefer to be honest, rather than blowing smoke up someone's ass.

Len
Len this reply is exactly what I like to hear. Yes, unfortunately, the segmented pen wasn't intended to be as such, I had a blow out on the redwood lace pen blank, the cap blank was already turned and I loved it, was the only piece I had and it was kinda expensive! I used the remaining offcut and put the piece of remaining chestnut that I didn't want to waste.
I have seen the segmenting work of alot of turners and am amazed in it's beauty, very precise and patient craftsmanship, it is art form in itself!
Cheers mate.
Casey

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There are some mighty nice blanks in that set! For only turning for 8 months you are doing a great job. Stay healthy. ๐Ÿ˜ท

robutacion

Nah mate, we just burn the burls! Lol
Hahahaha, I don't think you would but I've seen people doing it and they still complain that burns too fast...! :mad: idiots.

Imagine my pain seeing that and not being able to save it...!:(

As for your pens, great work for 8 months of experience and those woods are just stunning in anyone's language...!

Keep up the good work.

PS: Thanks for the "plug".;)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom