Looking for this wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

Last year when I went to the turners convention in Utah at the parking lot sale a fellow had some wood for sale that I goofed up and did not purchase. It was bright yellow and black or dark brown and I think that he said that it was from Arizona but I'm not sure about that part. It was not Desert ironwood, at least not what we usually see here. I think that I showed it to either Don or Anthony if either of you two remember but anyway I would like to find out what kind of wood this is and maybe pick up a little. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Sorry Wayne, I can't remember what wood I looked at last week, let alone last year [:eek:)]
But what you described, sounds like desert ironwood.

its_virgil

Wayne,
My memory is better than Anthony's, but not my golf game.[:D] I think the wood is Mahonia. He was there in 2004 and I missed out and in 2005 I found his truck just as he sold the last he had. He has one small piece in his truck so I got just enough to make one slimline...I can post a picture of the pen this evening if that would help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Last year when I went to the turners convention in Utah at the parking lot sale a fellow had some wood for sale that I goofed up and did not purchase. It was bright yellow and black or dark brown and I think that he said that it was from Arizona but I'm not sure about that part. It was not Desert ironwood, at least not what we usually see here. I think that I showed it to either Don or Anthony if either of you two remember but anyway I would like to find out what kind of wood this is and maybe pick up a little. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Wayne

Dario

Curious minds want to know what's special with this wood. Is it something I have to try? [:D][}:)].

Hey, If Wayne wants it bad it must be GOOD!!! [;)]

wayneis

Don if you could show me a photo I would appreciate it very much. That guy is the only person that I have run across that sells it. I had put some aside last year before they would let anyone sell and never got around to getting back to buy it, bummer. I've seen photos of it made into a bowl and plates and it is pretty nice looking wood.

Wayne

wayneis

Dario like I said it is bright yello gold color with a dark brown black and the good pices have a lot of yellow. Its really a beautiful wood.

Wayne

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Curious minds want to know what's special with this wood. Is it something I have to try? [:D][}:)].

Hey, If Wayne wants it bad it must be GOOD!!! [;)]

Dario

Wayne,

Almost describes Texas Ebony with sapwood. I'll make it a point to send you a couple to try along a camphor burl...probably next week. [;)]. Part of what I owe on our trade.

its_virgil

Wayne,
I'll post a picture of the pen late this afternoon. I'm almost sure he called it mahonia: not sure if I'm spelling it correctly and I'm very sure it was not Texas ebony, but you'll like the Tx Ebony that Dario is sending. It is a really nice wood to turn.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don if you could show me a photo I would appreciate it very much. That guy is the only person that I have run across that sells it. I had put some aside last year before they would let anyone sell and never got around to getting back to buy it, bummer. I've seen photos of it made into a bowl and plates and it is pretty nice looking wood.

Wayne

Randy_

<br />.....anyway I would like to find out what kind of wood this is and maybe pick up a little. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help......

Wayne: If Don is correct in his ID of the stuff as MAHONIA, then the first thing you should do is check your back yard. Mahonia is actually a family of evergreen "shrubs" that range in size from a couple of feet tall to about 10'. Apparently, they are most prevalent in the Northwest; but are pretty hardy......we even have a few varieties in Texas. You might check with your local nursery and see if the plant will survive the hard Michigan winters. Even then there is no garantee that the variety you saw in Utah will be one that you can find locally or that other varieties will have the same color as the one you saw last year. An Internet search might turn up more information. Good luck!!

P.S. The common name for the stuff here locally is Grape Holly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom