Looking for another source of "exhibition-grade" Bethlehem Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

The first time I imported a bunch of blanks, I would consider 90% to be excellent. The second time, I would consider 30% or less to be excellent (bought from the same source). I know PSI and the like sell hi-end grade, but wanted to ask if folks know of other sources. I don't want to identify or knock my source. He/she/It/We/They/Them was politely informed. No biggie.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Whatever you do, do NOT buy from Tree of Life Olivewood/Bethlehemolivewood.net. I ordered some blanks from them, supposedly the Jerusalem olive wood from the Mount of Olives. Got a confirmation. They charged my card $25. Never shipped. This was back in July that I ordered. I've emailed them a half dozen times. I called the number on their website; got some random business in Brooklyn, not them. Don't really know what else to do other than write off the $25. I'm pretty bummed because they seem to be the only ones that are selling stuff from Jerusalem. A buddy of mine got ordained a Jesuit deacon over the summer; will be ordained a priest in May and I was hoping to make him something from the Jerusalem blanks. Live and learn, I guess...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Whatever you do, do NOT buy from Tree of Life Olivewood/Bethlehemolivewood.net. I ordered some blanks from them, supposedly the Jerusalem olive wood from the Mount of Olives. Got a confirmation. They charged my card $25. Never shipped. This was back in July that I ordered. I've emailed them a half dozen times. I called the number on their website; got some random business in Brooklyn, not them. Don't really know what else to do other than write off the $25. I'm pretty bummed because they seem to be the only ones that are selling stuff from Jerusalem. A buddy of mine got ordained a Jesuit deacon over the summer; will be ordained a priest in May and I was hoping to make him something from the Jerusalem blanks. Live and learn, I guess...

You have to be careful when purchasing "Jerusalem olive wood". There are only a very few olive wood trees on the Mount of Olives any longer, so wood from those specific trees is quite rare.

Bethlehem is only 5 miles from Jerusalem and that general region is often referred to as "Bethlehem" or "Jerusalem" interchangeably when it comes to products produced there. If you want wood that was specifically harvested within the boundaries of either of those towns, you almost need to know the supplier personally.

KLJ

Cormark International in Weaverville NC has some really nice wood. If you are close enough to visit them in person they let you shop out of their warehouse and you can get some real nice stuff from their scrap bins. They are showing some exhibition grade olive wood on their website.

its_virgil

Tony Tony Tony. There was a whole thread about the guy selling the best of the best olive blanks here and he sells through ebay. Where have you been??:)
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ded-extremely-figured-premium-quality.162642/
I've ordered from Mike Saad a few times. I have not been disappointed. I'm not qualified to call them exhibition grade but the words "dark grains four sides extremely figured" seemed appropriate. I will order again when needed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker

Go to your bank and dispute the charge. Tell them you tried contacting the company, but the number on the website was bogus. You may be able the get your money back by doing this.

robutacion

Tongue in cheek George. Read the whole thing. :) I talked to Tony already.
I actually read the whole thread from the top down until I saw your statement, and when you referred to Olive wood as Olive wood and not Bow this guy sells, with all due respect and not willing to go into the argumentative rout the issue normally takes, I respect your opinion but I disagree with you, I'm yet to see other Olive wood sellers, identifying each blank or packs that the customer can have the freedom to select what they like/want and get exactly their selection., this is in general how I sell all my blanks with a very few exceptions such as the case with my recent Olive wood "Gems" grade thread that I started with no intentions to start selling immediately but a couple of requests from some members I have a great respect for, they wanted to secure some of them (and I don't blame them, these come few and far in between) of my choice, therefore, I open the sale offering this terms to everyone else and everybody seemed to be OK with that, and if they are OK with that, that's fine by me, I know them are not going to be disapointed, guranteed...! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Merry Christmas...!๐Ÿ‘

PS: If Tony hadn't specifically requested Bow, I would be offering him some of these "Gems", he still can ask me for some if he so wishes, It would be my pleasure to share some with Tony, you or anybody else.

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

George I understand you are a seller and no I have no idea what one olive branch is from another and do not care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My point is I used the word olive blank and if that is not the right word than my bad. The point of my statement was for Tony to look at the ad that guy recently posted on the site and by the way you are not the only blank seller here. I have no idea if what he says is true or what you say is true I never bought yours or his OLIVE blanks. I was trying to help Tony. Again where these or your blanks or anyone elses blanks come from I have no knowledge of. My last statement on this silly thing.

MiteyF

Excuse my ignorance, but is "Bethlehem" olive wood a special sort of olive wood, or only desirable because it's from a certain "magical" place?

TonyL

I am not sure. But, I think this post has run its course. I did get the information that I was looking for and grateful to all.

Time to close this puppy down ๐Ÿถ:)

Curly

Excuse my ignorance, but is "Bethlehem" olive wood a special sort of olive wood, or only desirable because it's from a certain "magical" place?
The location has significance to some so does the wood from there. I believe the wood itself is the same species that has been carried and cultivated around the Mediterranean by people since ancient times.

robutacion

George I understand you are a seller and no I have no idea what one olive branch is from another and do not care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My point is I used the word olive blank and if that is not the right word than my bad. The point of my statement was for Tony to look at the ad that guy recently posted on the site and by the way you are not the only blank seller here. I have no idea if what he says is true or what you say is true I never bought yours or his OLIVE blanks. I was trying to help Tony. Again where these or your blanks or anyone elses blanks come from I have no knowledge of. My last statement on this silly thing.
Yeah, you're right, the more I read the OP the more I realised that I may have miss-read the whole thing, which sometimes gets me into "hot water"

Was never my intention to upset anyone but when I read you saying "the guy selling the best of the best olive blanks here" I completely forgot what Tony was asking and I've thought to myself, he may sell the best Bow blanks here or on eBay but he couldn't possibly sell the best of the best Olive blanks in here or anywhere, after all, many discussions have happened about the difference between BOW and "regular" Olive wood grown in non-holy land such as Australia, the major difference is not in the wood itself but in where it grows, this is what I always believed BOW is or should be, growing up in a very Catholic environment, has gave me a great respect for peoples beliefs particularly Catholic even though I have absolutely no association in any way shape or form with ANY religion.

My reaction to your comment in that post was not malicious in any way, I believe most of my higher grade Olive blanks are as good if not better than what I see on sale elsewhere and it happens that I'm selling some of my best grade Olive blanks at the moment here on IAP after a very long time not doing so and like yourself that like the call it as you see it, I have the same inclination reason why we both reacted but from very different reasons, no problem as I see it.

I felt that I need to offer some explanation to my reaction with apologies to Tony and John, there is no reason to request the thread to be closed Tony, we are all grown-ups in here (or at least we should be) therefore, we are perfectly capable to deal/diffuse these situations, after all, is Christmas so who wants to be "arguing" at this time of the year..?

Merry Christmas everybody...! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿฆ˜

Cheers
George

Top Bottom