loking for info on wooden glass stems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penmaker1967

penmaker1967

hi guys I was wanting to try my hand at doing some wooded glass ware stems but I can not seem to find it in the library could some one send me the link to it or tell me where I can find it
thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hi guys I was wanting to try my hand at doing some wooded glass ware stems but I can not seem to find it in the library could some one send me the link to it or tell me where I can find it
thanks for the help

I don't know where it is in the library, have never looked for it, but wooden wine glass stems are one of my regular inventory items. I can try to answer your questions.

attached are some of my glasses..

Attachments

• 40-1904_0.JPG
    40-1904_0.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 40-1981_1.JPG
    40-1981_1.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 40-1990_0.JPG
    40-1990_0.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 40-1984_1.JPG
    40-1984_1.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 40-3200_2.jpg
    40-3200_2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 210

PapaTim

Penmaker1967,
I've seen Chuck's (Tellico Turning) work in person. You can't do better than having him help you. He does an outstanding job with those glassware stems.

MTViper

The one thing I do differently from Chuck is that my stems are 2 piece. I start with a 1x1x5" stem and a 3x1" circle for the base. Grain on the stem runs up and down, grain on the base runs parallel to the ground. I usually cut my base with a circle saw bit on the drill press and cut out a 3/4" hole in the middle. Then I turn a 3/4" tenon on the bottom of the stem to fit the tenon and glue and clamp for 24 hours. I find the grain running parallel to the ground makes the base less likely to chip around the edges than if the stem is all one piece.

Attachments

• DB-Mahogany02.jpg
    DB-Mahogany02.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 192
  • JC-Walnut02.jpg
    JC-Walnut02.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 223

penmaker1967

thank you all for the help I cant wait to try one of these I have another question how do I cut the stems of the glasses.

The one thing I do differently from Chuck is that my stems are 2 piece. I start with a 1x1x5" stem and a 3x1" circle for the base. Grain on the stem runs up and down, grain on the base runs parallel to the ground. I usually cut my base with a circle saw bit on the drill press and cut out a 3/4" hole in the middle. Then I turn a 3/4" tenon on the bottom of the stem to fit the tenon and glue and clamp for 24 hours. I find the grain running parallel to the ground makes the base less likely to chip around the edges than if the stem is all one piece.

Actually, most of my stems are also two piece construction... being a little on the chintzy side, I hate to waste wood and using one piece to make the stem uses a lot of wood... I start with about 1x1 blocks too and cut my bases from a board... I do everything on the lathe, turn the stems round with a tenon, then drill a hole in the base which is first turned round on a waste block... I use a forstner the same size as the tenon... like the Viper, I let them set 24 hours before turning the stem and base to form... I drill the hole in the end of the stem to accept the nub of the glass stem and enlarge as needed so the stem fits the base.

thank you all for the help I cant wait to try one of these I have another question how do I cut the stems of the glasses.

I cut my stems with a high speed dremel tool with a cut off disc in it... takes about 3 seconds to cut the stem... I also buy most of my glasses from either the local KARM (Knoxville Area Rescue Ministry) store, GoodWill or the local Habitat for Humanity store. Only on rare occasions will I go to Carolina Pottery or such stores for glasses...if I need some specialty type of glass.

mikelsdo

Old time pottery has flat bottom wine glasses that are perfect for wood stems. Just turn your stem rough up the glass with sandpaper and silicone the stem to it.

Top Bottom