Living in the shadow of a legend...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwinSSIV

I feel for all the new pen turners who have to go through this...

Yesterday I ran out of 400 sanding strip paper and so I headed down to our local Woodcraft store to pick some more up. I grabbed my Morning After pen to show off to Terry (She helped encourage this passion). So I arrive and make my way over to the pen stuff...Terry wanders over and asks if she can help me...of course I said sure. So I ask her if she wants to see one of my latest pens and proceed to show off my pen...she starts showing it off to all the people in this part of the store and I am so proud, getting compliments with one lady commenting "We will be there soon". [^]
Well I grab my 400 sand paper, a block of yellow heart to turn a bowl later and up to the register to pay. The owner Phil is taking care of me when Terry comes up and says "Did you show him your pen?". So, I can not turn down another chance to bask in the glory...whip out my pen and show it to Phil..."Nice" he barely says and in the next second has pulled a beautiful slimline from his shirt and says "Look at the finish on this one". I say "Very nice. What kind of finish is it?". "Super Glue" says Phil and "It was made by a very nice lady who did a class for us". "Janet Smith?" I ask..."Why yes" says Phil. "I know of her from the IAP board" I tell him. "The finish on my pen is the same thing"...he takes it from me a second time and actually looks at the pen for a moment and then hands it back and barely says "Nice"...now personally I think the finish on my pen is very good...but after this exchange I have been crushed under the shadow of the Famous Janet Smith of Albuquerque...my pen was not worthy in his eyes[B)]
So I look forward to meeting this legend one day and maybe someday my pens will be looked upon with the admiration this legend gets at this WC store.:D

Sorry Janet I could not resist passing this story along!!!! I had to smile at how these people just love you over there...every time I bring in a pen or two to show off, they always talk about you, your pens and the class you put on for them! ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

I can sympathize.

I have a pensmith pen and the finish is exemplary.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I showed off some of my woodworkings to a Japanese fellow that I just met one day, after he had said he was a woodworker. Very down to earth kind of fellow. We became friends but he always came to my house over the next few months. Then I didn't see him for several months. (This was in Japan)

One day he showed up and started asking me questions and talking about a trip to San Diego. I asked what he did there and he replied that he did a several day seminar on Japanese woodworking techniques. The he asked me if I knew a fellow by the name of Sam Maloof? "SAM MALOOF?" I replied! He said yes. Then Keiji showed me his copy of Sam's book that Sam autographed personally for him with a special note on how he (Sam) enjoyed Keiji's woodworking seminar.

Then I went to Keiji's house and saw the most beautiful teak finished cabinets and teak table and other fine, nice furniture . I felt so little after showing off my stuff to him and then seeing how much of a Master he was/is. A very humbling experience.

jssmith3

Ed, sorry about that. I am sure your finish is just as good as mine is. I have seen your album and I would love to be able to do some of the segmented work you have done.
Janet :)

EdwinSSIV

Janet, please don't be sorry!!![:I]
I think it is wonderful how everyone there admires you and your pens! You have a very loyal fan base over there. [:)]

Ron Mc

Ed,
How close is Rio Rancho to Albuquerque? I'll me in Albuquerque later this month and would love to meet you and Janet at this particular WoodCrafts store. Imagine the fun we could have![;)]
I would also love to see both yours and Janets pens in person.[:D]

Dario

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />I showed off some of my woodworkings to a Japanese fellow that I just met one day, after he had said he was a woodworker. Very down to earth kind of fellow. We became friends but he always came to my house over the next few months. Then I didn't see him for several months. (This was in Japan)

One day he showed up and started asking me questions and talking about a trip to San Diego. I asked what he did there and he replied that he did a several day seminar on Japanese woodworking techniques. The he asked me if I knew a fellow by the name of Sam Maloof? "SAM MALOOF?" I replied! He said yes. Then Keiji showed me his copy of Sam's book that Sam autographed personally for him with a special note on how he (Sam) enjoyed Keiji's woodworking seminar.

Then I went to Keiji's house and saw the most beautiful teak finished cabinets and teak table and other fine, nice furniture . I felt so little after showing off my stuff to him and then seeing how much of a Master he was/is. A very humbling experience.

Very humbling indeed. [^]

EdwinSSIV

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Ed,
How close is Rio Rancho to Albuquerque? I'll me in Albuquerque later this month and would love to meet you and Janet at this particular WoodCrafts store. Imagine the fun we could have![;)]
Ron, I am about 25 minutes from the WC store if the traffic is right...I would love to meet up with you and of course the legendary Janet Smith! [;)][:p][:D][^][:0][B)]. Just tell me what time and what day and I will be there!!!!

jssmith3

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Ed,

Hey Ed, I'm game if you are. Ron, email me.

Ron Mc

Well it sounds to me like we have a gathering brewing!
I'll send e-mails out with the dates I'll be in town.
I look forward to seeing pens in person and will bring some show and tell myself.

L32

Hey Ron, I got an Idea......Why dont you and Janet each send me a pen and I will Impartially [;)]judge the finishs. Great Idea dont you think[:D]........I will even send them back[;)][;)][}:)]

Ron Mc

Great idea Bob if I didn't already know the winner! I believes Janet's finish is superior to mine. [:eek:)]My finish is not to be admired at all. It is good but not great! Luckily I don't sell any pens due to my finish.[;)][:D]
That's the great thing about this type of forum. We all have our individual strong points and we can all learn from each other.
Maybe I'll just send you a pen to judge on the tightness of the tube in the barrel?

jssmith3

Ok boys, Ed see what you have started!!! I am sure my finish is no better than any of ya'lls (yes, I lived in the hills so I can say "ya'll" :) I think all 3 of you should send me a pen so I can be the judge of the finish and get to keep the pens to boot [:p]
Have a great day guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom