little things for my lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I had a Taig vise that has been laying around many years now without being used. Rather than sell it I decided to use it as a quick depth stop for my lathe. I simply drilled and tapped for a 10-32 thread and used a socket head cap screw with a thumb nut for adjustment.
vise%25203.JPG

I also had the problem that Mike of Indy Pen Dance did with having a tool rest for hand turning on the metal lathe.
I decided to use the Taig vise as a model for a clamp on tool post.

I took a piece of 1/2 x 2 inch aluminum and milled it to shape. I adapted the design to accept a 1/2 round post and robbed a Taig wood turning accessory for the parts. Since Im having so much fun anodizing and need the practice I anodized the base. The square stock is 1/2 stainless stock left over from making a carbide cutting tool.
vise%25205.JPG

The tool post in place.
vise%25204.JPG

I realize this may have limited use for many of you but you might be able to adapt the idea for your own use.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

Thats cool, but I got a suggestion, how about cutting dovetails on the sides then make a matching plate to slide on the top that holds the tool post, and some kind of quick relase knob.

That way you can move the post in and out in a straight motion fairly quickly.

Just a thought :wink:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
More work than I need at the moment Danny. My next step was to buy one of those black knobs meant to slide over the hex head of the 1/4 bolt and eliminate the need for the 7/16 wrench. This is meant strickly for pen blanks or simular small projects. I have enough adjustment for what I need although it wont be as quick. Larger turning projects will go to my wood lathe.

jd99

Just a thought, :wink: maybe down the line you could turn it into a product for those that have metal lathes, that design that clamps into the tool holder isn't that great, I like your idea. :biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I tried mounting the smaller blue arm on the cross slide but the tool post would not be low enough to be able to use it. How ever a long Tnut that stuck out from the tool holder slot with a 1/2 hole for the tool rest might work well I will explore that further.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have retired it for the moment. I have put stepper motors on it and I am researching software to use. But I have moved on to the Atlas as my main manual lathe. It is so much stiffer than the Sherline was the way I was using it.

Mapster

Very cool Mike, I will have to check that tool rest out sometime. The blue is looking good, looks like you might be getting better at anodizing. Ready for round 2?

Top Bottom