Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

I have a few pieces of lignum vitae that are cutoffs from some underwater bearings we made at the machine shop I work for. It's all been sitting in a bucket of water to keep it from cracking.

I'm wondering how to go about processing this for turning. There might be a couple of pieces large enough for a small bowl, but the rest is too small for anything bigger than a pen. Should I cut it into pen blanks while it's wet and hope for the best as they dry? Or is there a way to dry it out slowly to minimize cracks before I cut it up? Does the boiling trick work with lignum vitae?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Boiling seems to work for many, but the follow up is equally important. After boiling and cooling down to room temperature, some turners will put it in a paper bag and put that in an attic or just leave it in a room for 6 months to a year. The paper bag allows it to breath but at a controlled level and drying speed is greatly reduced, which helps prevent splitting.

If you cut it into blanks while wet, cut them oversize such as 7/8" square or even 1" square. Put them in a paper bag and check them weekly. Close the bag after each time.

I haven't used any lignum vitae, and I am just guessing based on other woods that I have tried over the years. So, Listen to other opinions.

Woodchipper

My grandson picked out a piece of LV for his father's pen. It was dry and wasn't cracked but drilling for the tube was like drilling through tool steel.

Top Bottom