Pen inventory storage? Looking for suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wrjones224

I'm curious how members store their inventory of pens. I've been really cranking out pens and have a few events in the early summer where I need a ton of inventory. I am looking for a good way to store around 2500 to 4 thousand pens.

I have these black leather pouches that hold 48 pens. But was curious what others do as well. I've looked on alibaba to order in bulk but MOQs are a little higher than I I'd like to spend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I bought a bunch of display boxes off ebay and will use them as displays at shows as well as holding my pens. If I have extras of certain pens I just store them in those black little pouches and store in a cardboard box and bring along with me to shows. When I get my display case for my own use I will keep my best of the best pens in them so will free up room there.

Well, that is a lot of pens and I do not know that any one solution provided here will be a cover all. Something to consider is using slotted, pen display inserts. You can stack the inserts in a box or make something more fancy from them. The nice thing about these trays is that you can stack them on top each other, keeping them flat in a control space or make fancy trays for each individual insert. To me, these trays would allow you to load trays and stack them in a controlled space to reduce movement while being more cost effective, lighter and using less space than dozens of zippered pen cases. Below are a couple of links as examples to work from.

wrjones224

Well, that is a lot of pens and I do not know that any one solution provided here will be a cover all. Something to consider is using slotted, pen display inserts. You can stack the inserts in a box or make something more fancy from them. The nice thing about these trays is that you can stack them on top each other, keeping them flat in a control space or make fancy trays for each individual insert. To me, these trays would allow you to load trays and stack them in a controlled space to reduce movement while being more cost effective, lighter and using less space than dozens of zippered pen cases. Below are a couple of links as examples to work from.

This seems like a very good solution and one I did not think of. Thank you!

derekdd

After looking at them over the years, I decided on the aluminum cases Woodcraft sells as I'm humping them around to craft shows.

Each holds 36 securely. I have 3 at this point but likely will buy a 4th in a few months.

I owned the padded case in the past Penn State makes, but wasn't impressed with the sturdiness. I can't imagine making and storing that many. Good luck!

Last edited:

David350

You have probably already considered this, but do you need to have all 2,500 to 4,000 on display simultaneous, or will some combination of displaying a few hundred with bulk storage of the rest to replenish the displaying pens work? From a practical standpoint, I would recommend displaying in a case / methodology where it is obvious that a pen has been removed for closer inspection. In an environment where you might have many potential customers at the same time, any system that can help you keep track of your pens would be a plus... Good Luck!!!

jttheclockman

Now everyone can do whatever they wish but would like to caution you on a couple things only because after being here on this site for 19 years I have read many threads and this question comes up now and again just like most questions. My point is that there are things you should be aware of when storing our pens. First is we take so much time in trying to make those perfect shaped pens with that perfect finish so that when we sell them people appreciate the difference between hand made pens and store bought. You need to watch those carrying cases that have the elastic strings to hold pens in more so than the wider bands but both can over time indent into the finish of the pen or into the body of the pen such as acrylic pens and even wood pens. They then leave a ring. Next is the idea of storage trays and stacking them is fine but again the material that they are made of is a stiff cardboard that is covered. Not sure what the bottom of those things are like but if you are stacking on top of other pens now that tray can scratch the finish of the pen unless you use some sort of soft cloth between the layers of trays. I only bring this stuff up because as I said I seen threads here talking about these same things and mistakes others before us have encountered. But do as you wish. I took all that in consideration and have gone to boxes. yes you can not store alot in them or else they become too heavy so I bought about 6 of them. May have to buy more for as fast as I make special pens. Duplicates get stored seperately in those felt bags. Good luck .

This seems like a very good solution and one I did not think of. Thank you!

Thought of another option today that might be better but more labor intensive to setup: pick and pack foam sheets. You can buy sizable sheets of this foam and then cut to the dimensions of a transport box and then cut out inserts for each pen. This will take a while to setup but the pens will be secure and it would eliminate most chances of damage.

Top Bottom