Leather journal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

A while back my wife asked me to make a leather journal for her. Once we figured out the design I sat down and made this for her.
The pattern was taken from Wild Roses on our property and all images were hand cut on 5/6oz leather. This will hold a standard 5 x 7 journal available at any stationary store. The stitching was all done by hand with the final dye color being Saddle Tan. The most time consuming part of making this was using the backgrounder to put the back ground design/texture on the leather. The button is a Celtic knot. Total time start to finish was around 12 hours. Thanks for looking.

PXL_20210124_164446911.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

A while back my wife asked me to make a leather journal for her. Once we figured out the design I sat down and made this for her.
The pattern was taken from Wild Roses on our property and all images were hand cut on 5/6oz leather. This will hold a standard 5 x 7 journal available at any stationary store. The stitching was all done by hand with the final dye color being Saddle Tan. The most time consuming part of making this was using the backgrounder to put the back ground design/texture on the leather. The button is a Celtic knot. Total time start to finish was around 12 hours. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 296170
Beautiful work - I used to do leather carving many, many years ago. It's encouraging to see that the craft is still alive.

Beautiful work - I used to do leather carving many, many years ago. It's encouraging to see that the craft is still alive.

Thanks for the compliment. I learned how to carve leather from my father in law. This is one of many things he taught me and as with most things he far, far outshines anything I'll ever be able to do. He'll be 98 in March, still going strong and critiques everything I do after I send him pictures of what I've done.

MPVic

Thanks for the compliment. I learned how to carve leather from my father in law. This is one of many things he taught me and as with most things he far, far outshines anything I'll ever be able to do. He'll be 98 in March, still going strong and critiques everything I do after I send him pictures of what I've done.
Tom, wonderful story - I only hope you find someone to pass on this elegant craft - as you probably can relate, there is so much artistry being lost to the ages.

Tom, wonderful story - I only hope you find someone to pass on this elegant craft - as you probably can relate, there is so much artistry being lost to the ages.

My youngest granddaughter, 16, is showing some interest in wood working, leather craft and knife making and I hope I can pass it down. Some day this will probably all just go away and these talents will be lost to the ages if our youth don't take over. I'll be joining a wood turning club in Great Falls when I move but I've noticed that all but of few of the members are all in the older/retired crowd. I'm thinking about trying to reach out to the Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts and other youth clubs to get them more involved and learning how much fun just turning a pen can be. I'll have to wait and see.

goldendj

My youngest granddaughter, 16, is showing some interest in wood working, leather craft and knife making and I hope I can pass it down. Some day this will probably all just go away and these talents will be lost to the ages if our youth don't take over. I'll be joining a wood turning club in Great Falls when I move but I've noticed that all but of few of the members are all in the older/retired crowd. I'm thinking about trying to reach out to the Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts and other youth clubs to get them more involved and learning how much fun just turning a pen can be. I'll have to wait and see.
I've got my 9yo daughter hooked. I helped her make her own fountain pen, which she immediately used to write all her friends offering to make them pens as well.
media-1610902629467-Jan_16_2021_2_50_PM.jpg

I've got my 9yo daughter hooked. I helped her make her own fountain pen, which she immediately used to write all her friends offering to make them pens as well.View attachment 296436

Good for her and great that she had a teacher that could help. That's a nice looking pen and I'm impressed that someone of her age, with instructions, was able to make this. Good job!

howsitwork

Well done to both of you

Also a fantastic result with that Journal for the good lady ( SWMBO ) Tom.

Nothing like convincing the father in law she ( your good lady ) made a decent choice of son in law !

Well done to both of you

Also a fantastic result with that Journal for the good lady ( SWMBO ) Tom.

Nothing like convincing the father in law she ( your good lady ) made a decent choice of son in law !

Funny story Ian. Years ago (my wife and I have been married 46 great years) my in laws commented to us that if we ever divorced they would disown her and adopt me. Never could figure that one out...at all.

Top Bottom