Le Roi's got a twin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skie_M

Skie_M

Well ... I finally got round to getting those bushings for the Le Roi .... grabbed a few pen kits to go with it, since I was shopping out that way (thanks, Smitty! :cool: ).

I was looking around my shop for something worthy of gracing such nice pens and lo and behold ... I came across a blank sent to me by Brian G ... Stabilized Buckeye Burl! Well, I pulled it out, drilled my center marks, turned it round, and then I measured for my barrel length and cut it off ....

Oops! I dropped the one I measured, which one was it??? Grab the brass tube and compared to the blanks .... oh .... I can make TWO??? :biggrin:

Well ... I did! :)

attachment.php

Pair of Le Roi V2's sharing a single blank of Stabilized Buckeye Burl

attachment.php

Nearly had a blowout while drilling, though .... I gotta invest in more of those acrylic bullet point bits or a drill doctor... :tongue: There's a crack running down the barrel directly under the clip on one of the pens. I dripped CA in it before I started the final turning. It was barely visible after finishing ...

Turned with a 1/2" bowl gouge (both of them, exclusively just the one tool), sanded up to 1000 grit, cleaned, applied Minwax Stain and Seal (natural), followed by 6 coats CA. Micro-mesh wet sanded up to 12k, with Plast-X polish and Turtle Wax Hard Shell.

Attachments

• le roi 1.jpg
    le roi 1.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 375
  • le roi 2.jpg
    le roi 2.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 366
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Going to try for triplets next time, Greg?

Great fit and finish. The blanks mate well with the kits.

gimpy

Nice pair, pens that is......only you know where the crack is. That would bother me to no end... Nice job

Skie_M

LOL ... thanks for the laugh, John! :) Not sure I have any blanks quite long enough to pull a triplet off....

I noted the color of the blank, as it was predominantly silvery and black, and those kits are chrome and black chrome ... it seemed to be a perfect fit! :)

Top Bottom