Wanted Le Roi Royale D36 Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I bought some Le Roi Royale kits but now I can't find the right bushings. I need the D36 bushings. Hopefully, I can trade for them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I see those kits on the Exotics website, but they don't seem to offer the D36 bushings.
If you know the sizing of the bushings you might be able to modify a different set of bushings to fit your requirements.
Do you know the final turned barrel diameters for the Le Roi Royale ?

There is reference on the Exotics website listing for this pen kit to the Polaris pen kit, which is a PSI kit.
I had a quick look but could not find the dimensions of the Polaris bushings.
The Polaris pen kit is similar to the Carbara pen kit, sold by Berea. . Bushings for the Carbara are available, but no sizings are given.

If you can't find any suitable bushings .....
You may want to familiarize yourself with the method of turning known as "Turning Between Centers", or TBC for short.
With this method, and a pair of digital calipers, you can avoid bushings completely. . I have used this method for a long time now.
You would also need a dead center for your lathe headstock and a live center for your lathe tailstock.

There is probably an article in the Resources (Library) section of IAP about the TBC method.

Madman1978

1605033458370.png

magpens

OK, that diagram gives 2 of the 3 required dimensions.
But it is not clear to me what the B dimension refers to ... is it the larger OD of the cap bushing ? ( Like A is the larger OD of the tip bushing. )

( Or is it the brass tube ID ... the press-in size at both ends of the brass tube. . This might be the third (missing) dimension. )

Let me see if I can get any info. . If both bushings are identical, then we only need 2 dimensions ... the OD and the ID ... the diagram is then complete.

Last edited:

jjjaworski

From a quick look at the IAP reference of bushings it would appear to be very much the same as a Sierra type bushing.

Sierra and Gatsby - A=.474 B=.381

The bushings should at least work to get you started and you can sneak up on the proper barrel OD with digital calipers to match the hardware, especially if you turn between centers without bushings.

Just a thought.

magpens

Aha ! . That picture you show appears to be taken from the PSI Gatsby instruction sheet.

But your kit is the Le Roi Royale (one of Smitty's special pen kits), which I think is quite different from the PSI Gatsby.
Smitty was a pen kit supplier a few years ago. . He died. . ExoticBlanks took over the selling of his stuff and continues to use the Smitty name or SPW which stands for Smitty's Pen Works. . I don't have details for any Smitty products.

In your diagram above, it would seem that both bushings are identically the same, so that the smaller number of 0.384 probably is the part that goes into the brass tube

The brass tube diam. for the Gatsby is, I think, the same as for the Sierra (Berea) tube.

The B value of 0.384 does match my measured value for the ID of the Sierra (Berea) kit tube which is a 27/64" tube

The finished blank dimension at the ends must match the hardware dimension
The A value of .470 could be right, but I don't have a Gatsby kit to measure the actual hardware.
I do have the Sierra kit (Berea) data and the hardware measures 0.474.

The Sierra pen kit hardware is the same on both ends.
The Gatsby probably is also.

All of this might be quite irrelevant for you because I am not convinced that the diagram that you show actually applies to your kit, the Le Roi Royale

The ExoticBlanks website says that the Le Roi Royale requires a 3/8 drill bit (or letter size U drill bit).
It that is correct, then the diagram you show does not apply to this pen kit.
And my discussion above does not apply either.
Assuming that the 3/8 size for your kit is the correct size, then the brass tube OD will be 0.365 and the ID will be 0.345

So I don't know what more to say. . Do you have a way of verifying the applicability of the diagram ?
Ed Brown at ExoticBlanks might be able to help you.

I see that there has been another posting to your IAP thread, so I will terminate this message here and read the new posting.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just taking a quick break from packing, so I don't have time for a complete answer.
D36 refers to the outside diameter of the brass tube. (.36") It is NOT the same as sierras which are about .40

I will return after the mail and give a bettter answer

magpens

OK ... I have read the new posting by James. . It is much the same as my info.

magpens

I now see that Ed Brown has joined the discussion and he should be able to provide accurate info. for the Le Roi Royale.

Thanks for joining, Ed !! :D :D :D :D

I just measured the OD of the Sierra brass tube and got 0.407". . That is called a 27/64" tube because we use a 27/64" drill to make the blank hole.

Last edited:

walshjp17

There is reference on the Exotics website listing for this pen kit to the Polaris pen kit, which is a PSI kit.

According to the IAP Bushing & Tubes app, the Polaris twist BP dimensions are: cap bushing - .495 & nib - .450. The diagram for the le Roi Elegant Royale in the instructions in the IAP app actually shows a Polaris kit (Diagram A - Pen Parts). The bushing diagram (Diagram F - Bushing Set) while not showing dimensions does show that the nib (tip) is a smaller bushing which jibes with the Polaris specs.

Last edited:

magpens

According to the IAP Bushing & Tubes app, the Polaris twist BP dimensions are: cap bushing - .495 & nib - .450. The diagram for the le Roi Elegant Royale in the instructions in the IAP app actually shows a Polaris kit (Diagram A - Pen Parts). The bushing diagram (Diagram F - Bushing Set) while not showing dimensions does show that the nib (tip) is a smaller bushing which jibes with the Polaris specs.

I mentioned the Polaris, not because I know much about it, but only because it is mentioned on the ExoticBlanks listing for the Le Roi Royale.
I thought the reference to the Polaris might have held a clue to bushings for the Le Roi Royale but that might not be the case.
Now I realize that the Polaris and Le Roi Royale do not look much alike when finished.

For what it's worth, here is the link to what I read ... https://www.exoticblanks.com/le-roi-royale-pen-kit-rhodium.html

I think it is best to consult with Ed Brown at Exotics.

CaptainJane

My old Smitty's instructions say drill size is: "Letter U Drill Bit or 3/8" Drill Bit (tube will be a loose fit if 3/8" is used)"
I measured the bushings as follows:
Bushing 1 A .472 B .339
Bushing 2 A .452 B .339

Madman1978

My old Smitty's instructions say drill size is: "Letter U Drill Bit or 3/8" Drill Bit (tube will be a loose fit if 3/8" is used)"
Bushing 1 A .472 B .339
Bushing 2 A .452 B .339
Why do you have 2? should they not be the same?

Madman1978

I mentioned the Polaris, not because I know much about it, but only because it is mentioned on the ExoticBlanks listing for the Le Roi Royale.
I thought the reference to the Polaris might have held a clue to bushings for the Le Roi Royale but that might not be the case.
Now I realize that the Polaris and Le Roi Royale do not look much alike when finished.

For what it's worth, here is the link to what I read ... https://www.exoticblanks.com/le-roi-royale-pen-kit-rhodium.html

I think it is best to consult with Ed Brown at Exotics.
I spoke with him for 20 mins early this evening. He suggests attempting to make them. Not sure I could do that. But. I am working towards a solution.

magpens

Bushing 1 A .472 B .339
Bushing 2 A .452 B .339
I thought it would be something close to those measurements.

@Madman1978

There are 2 bushings of course as you would know, but the two bushings have different OD.
For each bushing, one end fits inside the brass tube ... that is the smaller end (which I call a nipple) of size 0.339.
The two larger measurements, 0.472 and 0.452 match the kit hardware parts at the opposite ends of the barrel. . Those are the sizes you turn down to.

To make suitable bushings (or to modify existing bushings) is not so easy because they are steel which is not really turnable on a wood turning lathe especially on a small lathe like your PenPal.

EDIT:- Of course, you can make bushings out of other materials as Ed reminds us in his post directly below.
They just serve as a GUIDE for your turning, that's all.

Last edited:

walshjp17

According to the description of the pen on Exotics website, the Le Roi Royale is a version on the Polaris. "THIS IS A SMITTY'S PEN WORKS EXCLUSIVE REVISION OF THE POPULAR POLARIS STYLE. THE POLARIS STYLE TIP AND LONGER THE BARREL LETS YOU SHOW OFF MORE OF THE WOOD OR OTHER BLANK MATERIAL."

magpens

According to the description of the pen on Exotics website, the Le Roi Royale is a version on the Polaris. "THIS IS A SMITTY'S PEN WORKS EXCLUSIVE REVISION OF THE POPULAR POLARIS STYLE. THE POLARIS STYLE TIP AND LONGER THE BARREL LETS YOU SHOW OFF MORE OF THE WOOD OR OTHER BLANK MATERIAL."
@walshjp17

Yes, I read that also and mentioned above. . But if you look at the Polaris on the PSI site, there is not much resemblance to the picture of the Le Roi Royale as shown on ExoticBlanks.

The Le Roi Royale is sort of like the Sierra Elegant Beauty in appearance, and also somewhat like the Majestic Squire. .
The Polaris is a rather unique design, and quite "different", and could be the same as the Carbara by Berea.

Just my opinions, and I could be wrong of course, but I think I have made some of all of those kits.

Madman1978

Okay, this has become a small nightmare. First, I really do not what it takes to make a pair of bushings. I don't have the talent nor the tools. Almost everything I have tried has not come close. I do have one last idea . . . I might not be able to make them But I am a macgyver! If this doesn't work, they are going into the Conn River!

lol

jttheclockman

Okay, this has become a small nightmare. First, I really do not what it takes to make a pair of bushings. I don't have the talent nor the tools. Almost everything I have tried has not come close. I do have one last idea . . . I might not be able to make them But I am a macgyver! If this doesn't work, they are going into the Conn River!

lol
Do you have sierra bushings and do they fit in the tubes you have?? If that is the case then just use those to get you close and use calipers to take it home. Really is not difficult. You have to learn to adapt doing this stuff. If not it will eat you alive. Not everything and every kit will go together easily. You need to be able to tweak things. Nature of the beast. As mentioned you can make cone shaped bushings from any hard material and just turn between centers. Many threads on this here.

In red, not true. You have both if you are turning pens. Does not take special tools. If you can turn an object round then you have the talent.

Madman1978

Do you have sierra bushings and do they fit in the tubes you have?? If that is the case then just use those to get you close and use calipers to take it home. Really is not difficult. You have to learn to adapt doing this stuff. If not it will eat you alive. Not everything and every kit will go together easily. You need to be able to tweak things. Nature of the beast. As mentioned you can make cone shaped bushings from any hard material and just turn between centers. Many threads on this here.

In red, not true. You have both if you are turning pens. Does not take special tools. If you can turn an object round then you have the talent.
Thank you for your confidence, but I have just the tools to turn pens. BUT calipers are not in my toolbox yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
They are in transit to us, I am told. Check in the middle of next week.

Sorry for the delay, these ARE made in USA!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, I unpacked them today. Remind me in your comments on your next order and I will throw in a set (no charge).
If you have the dead and live centers for TBC, I will also give you a set of those--not yet on the website.
Thanks for your patience!!

Madman1978

Yes, I unpacked them today. Remind me in your comments on your next order and I will throw in a set (no charge).
If you have the dead and live centers for TBC, I will also give you a set of those--not yet on the website.
Thanks for your patience!!
Someone forgot them in the package lol

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Was it in your comments??

When I am packing orders, I follow the packing slip and, surprisingly enough, the name you used was not Madman!!!
You HAVE TO remind me!!! I ain't 40 anymore!!!.
Offer still stands, on your next order!!

Ed

TonyL

Yes it was and I shall remember
Think the wife might have packed this one. Its all good
I have some LeRoi bushings for a single barrel pen. If you want them, PM your address to me and I will send. I think it was for this one (but I don't make them anymore.Le Roi Royal Gun Mental.JPG

Madman1978

Was it in your comments??

When I am packing orders, I follow the packing slip and, surprisingly enough, the name you used was not Madman!!!
You HAVE TO remind me!!! I ain't 40 anymore!!!.
Offer still stands, on your next order!!

Ed
Hey Ed

I add the note again on an order I just placed.
Thank You lol

Madman1978

Exotic doesn't have them for the D36

D37 has a thread transmission, threads on the outside. You can see the transmission for this kit and 9 more that I have no threads on the outside. they are threaded on the inside.

Attachments

• 147518911_10219176997757014_1476374312771005408_o.jpg
    147518911_10219176997757014_1476374312771005408_o.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 156

TonyL

Yes, it is only held on by one side. The body acts like an extension on a twist cap. It just slides over the extended transmission.

There are many YT videos out there. In fact, I think Ed recorded one.

Madman1978

Finally got them (Couple weeks back)

Attachments

• 20210221_212831.jpg
    20210221_212831.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210221_213647.jpg
    20210221_213647.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210221_213715.jpg
    20210221_213715.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 94