Lathe customized to Mini, Specialty Table Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

I didn't realize there would be questions regarding using my lathe(s) as specialized, mini table saws so here are pics.

The backstory is that my wife and I make precious metal jumprings. Not a huge industry so most tools and equipment tend to be individually made for purpose. Business grew to the point where I spent more time adjusting a small handsaw for each metal and coil size than I spent actually cutting the coil. My pen lathe was used as the first test and followed with 4 additional after the kinks were mostly ironed.

7 years ago, my pen lathe got converted to a specialized, mini tablesaw which uses both 1.5" and 1.75" diameter blades. 0.006", 0.008", 0.010" and occasionally a 0.004" thick HSS blade. That grew to 5 lathes setup. 2 variable speed and 3 Jet 1014 fixed speed, each setup slightly different. PSI tech guys were great in talking me through adjusting an internal setting to lower the bottom speed to about 50 rpm for sawing Titanium coils. 2020 was pretty slow and we made a decision which allowed me to restore one of the lathes to its original purpose in late December. Now I have 7 years of catching up to do here.

Custom Arbor by Rick Herrell
BladeArbor.jpg

Specialized Table
Table.jpg

Custom Toolpost by Rick Herrell
CustomToolPost.jpg

Mini Saw ready for work. Toolpost allows blade height adjustment.
CompleteSaw.jpg

Coil of 16awg 14kt yellow gold-filled wire which is a misnomer since the gold is on the outside, not the filling.
YellowGFcoil.jpg

Coil cutting in progress
CoilSaw.jpg

Saw output ready for polish and hardening (not quite 3 ounces)
SawOutput.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

VERY interesting !!!!! ... Wish I could read the engraving on the blue table top.

Welcome back to this primary (but relegated) lathe hobby of yore !!

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Thank you for posting this, it helps me mentally to justify the one I built years ago for my Taig. But it was such a pain to set up, that I went back to using my Dremel table saw. Making dollhouse furniture to scale, I should have splurged on a real saw, but the Dremel satisfied my wife's requirements.

rixstix

VERY interesting !!!!! ... Wish I could read the engraving on the blue table top.

Welcome back to this primary (but relegated) lathe hobby of yore !!
The engraving is either the copyright or trademark of that particular table. I have 10 tables in the rotation since the v groove has one spot prone to excess wear and it's quicker to swap & restore at a more convenient time.

jttheclockman

Thank you for posting. What are these rings used for?? They look like jewelry hooks. Would not think there would be a huge call for that or are you making bracelets?? I sen braclets with rings like this and interwoven.

sorcerertd

I always thought it was funny that they called it gold "filled", too. I've done some wire work, wrapping, and small chainmail projects like bracelets. That looks like a great way to make a lot of rings in short order!

rixstix

Thank you for posting. What are these rings used for?? They look like jewelry hooks. Would not think there would be a huge call for that or are you making bracelets?? I sen braclets with rings like this and interwoven.
We're just selling the rings & shipping to other weavers worldwide. They're woven into various chainmaille patterns adapted to jewelry (earring, bracelet, necklace). Involves quite a bit of math due to ring ID/wire diameter interactions. Link below to pics of a few of the more basic weaves out of thousands. My 'dress' versions are in the quarter pound range. Daily wear titanium is half that.

Chainmaille pattern pics

Penchant 4

Gold-filled is gold that is filled...typically, though not necessarily with sterling silver. It is, of course, gold overlaid on the filling material. The term 'gold-filled' is used to distinguish it from 'gold-plated' or 'heavy gold-plated' since the layer of gold is significantly thicker than either of those.

darrin1200

Very cool.
I remember about 20+ years ago, when we had some down time in the workshop, we tried our hand at chain mail. We used lock wire, a pencil and a hacksaw. I made a piece about 2"x3" and then that was it. A little too tedious for me. My buddy could assemble 3 times faster than me, even while having a conversation.

Welcome back to the pen world. Perhaps a chain mail blank is in the future.

Top Bottom