Lathe Chisel Set and other?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

Now that I have the lathe here and on its little table, I am thinking of what I need now. I did buy the Wen Chuck with the lathe. For turning tools I have the tools I use for pens and such. One set I looked at had these in the set, 1/2" round nose, 1" square nose, 1/4" and 1/2" spindle gouge, 3/16" diamond parting tool, 3/8" bowl gouge, 3/4" roughing gouge, and 3/4" skew. I am quite lost here on all of this. lol

So I am asking for some input here.
-What Chisels will I need.
-What other tools will I need?
-What sharpening system to use

Actually, any suggestions would be helpful
Thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Hey Michael, What do you use for turning your pens? I would shy away from buying a "SET" of tools. I think there are 8 in the set you're looking at and that could mean 6 that will go unused. The chisels you need will depend on what you plan to turn.

I've been using the Wolverine jig to sharpen for years. I initially I used with with a Harbor Freight grinder. Moved up to a Rikon slow speed grinder, on sale, and recently a CBN wheel. There are cheaper clone of the Wolverine system out there as well as other more expensive system.

As t other tools it really depends on what you're turning and your budget.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sharpening system: Do you have a grinder? IF so, get a fine stone for it. I use a CBN grinding wheel on mine to shape the tools and then use a scary sharp method for honing, Honing takes sharpness to the next level and pays great dividends.

Other tools: Mill SANDER for squaring the blanks, calipers for measuring, chucks and drill chuck for drilling on the lathe (comes in handy at times);

I am surprised for the number of tools people use in pen turning. The basic tools are skew and scraper (carbide inserts) for something as small as a pen blank. Bowl turning tools can be used, and if proficient - do well . . . but not necessary for 3/4" size blanks.

IF you use CA as a finish, get a respirator N99 ($20 - $40) and get used to using it early. CA doesn't get to everyone early on but it is like the flu if it does.

Madman1978

Hey Michael, What do you use for turning your pens? I would shy away from buying a "SET" of tools. I think there are 8 in the set you're looking at and that could mean 6 that will go unused. The chisels you need will depend on what you plan to turn.

I've been using the Wolverine jig to sharpen for years. I initially I used with with a Harbor Freight grinder. Moved up to a Rikon slow speed grinder, on sale, and recently a CBN wheel. There are cheaper clone of the Wolverine system out there as well as other more expensive system.

As t other tools it really depends on what you're turning and your budget.
Right now I have the carbide tools. just the 3.
I am going to attempt a wand maybe this week . . .
I am shopping for bowl blanks but not much luck

RichAldrich

Michael. All the safety equipment needed is a priority. Please list your pen turning tools. No need for duplication. Majority of turners I am associated with all use the wolverine system.

Madman1978

Sharpening system: Do you have a grinder? IF so, get a fine stone for it. I use a CBN grinding wheel on mine to shape the tools and then use a scary sharp method for honing, Honing takes sharpness to the next level and pays great dividends.

Other tools: Mill SANDER for squaring the blanks, calipers for measuring, chucks and drill chuck for drilling on the lathe (comes in handy at times);

I am surprised for the number of tools people use in pen turning. The basic tools are skew and scraper (carbide inserts) for something as small as a pen blank. Bowl turning tools can be used, and if proficient - do well . . . but not necessary for 3/4" size blanks.

IF you use CA as a finish, get a respirator N99 ($20 - $40) and get used to using it early. CA doesn't get to everyone early on but it is like the flu if it does.
I am using the PenPal lathe right now. I hope the checks I have will work.

RichAldrich

A skew chisel and bowl gauge? The skew for spindle turning and fine cutting. The bowl gauge is for face grain cutting.
When getting started I subscribed to the theory of One tool away from greatness. The better route is master the skew and bowl gauge. Spend the extra money on blanks and kits.

Madman1978

For carbide, I have the Square, Round, and Diamond. That's all
I have the Safety Equipment so I think I good there as well. Losing a finger makes you a bit more careful.

Top Bottom