Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks,

I have had my Nova 1624-44 for about 9 or so years and at the time I paid AU$1,750.00 while the Nova DVR XP was just over AU$3,000.00 and while I would have preferred it a lot more, I could afford it even on a payment agreement such what I has given for the 1624-44

Through the years, I knew that my opinion wouldn't change and since then, I always considered the Nova DVR XP the best lathe to have, I never liked to change belts, those feelings have only worsen so, I have always looked for a way to make it with variable speed not costing me a fortune but the options I saw then didn't excite me much.

I have become aware of the Nova head upgrade for the 1624-44 some time ago and when I requested a price at my local Carbatec (Nova distributor) supplier, I was told that would cost AU$1,500.00 and that it was already obsolete and that would be almost impossible to get.

Now, I went to the Teknatool web-site and I see them under lathe accessories, the price is USD$599.00 which means AU$658.00 and this is withing my budget plus the shipping off-course that I would expect to be about AU$100.00 for being quite heavy but, if it fits in a large flat rate box, it would cost me less than 100 bucks, I reckon.

I contacted this USA web-site and they reply by saying that I have Nova distributors in Australia and went as far as provide me with their state and web-address, including the Adelaide store that I normally use, I already had that info and that was not what I wanted from them.

Carbatec doesn't seem interested in dealing with the issue and I don't want to pay twice the money it will cost me to get it from the States.

Searching a little further, I found also Rockler to have it advertised for the same $599.00 is very interesting that when I first open their web-site, the first thing that pop-up at the top of the page was they stating that they ship to Australia.

So, I proceeded to make the order but when it went through the checkout process, it tells me that "this item can not be shipped to Australia":eek:

I have sent them an email asking why they say that they ship to Australia and then, state that the item can not be shipped to Australia when I try to make the order...!

I'm still waiting for a reply.

So the question is, is any of you guys near enough either Rockler or Teknatool and any other store that sells Nova stuff and check them out to see if they have this item in stock and enquiry about the possibility to ship to Australia?

If any of them have one in store but will not ship to Australia, I may have to ask that someone buys it for me and ship it to me, I will Paypal the total costs to you before any purchase is made, if that is what you prefer, either way, I had to resort to this method a lot of times in the past and I will do it again and or any time that I feel pushed to do it, there is a lot of money to be saved this way, and saving money is what I'm all about...!

Anyone for the take..?

PS: Should I have to say that, this person will be well compensated with blanks from my stables..?:wink::biggrin:

OK, this is what I'm after;

NOVA DVR

DVR Upgrade Package for Nova 1624 Lathes | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Thank you,

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Just a small correction at the cost of this Head upgrade, I have the cost in USD dollars correct but I stuffed up the currency conversion, the amount in Oz money is AU$792.00, sorry...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Mate:

I will be passing a small Rockler store in about 1 hr as I am checking on my Mom. I will inquire. There is also a LARGE new Rockler store in Chicago that I can check with; it is close to where my 2 sons live, and I/wife will be going to Chicago next month. I'll check with them.

I'll PM you later tonight with what I find out.

Cheers, Mark

robutacion

G'Day Mate:

I will be passing a small Rockler store in about 1 hr as I am checking on my Mom. I will inquire. There is also a LARGE new Rockler store in Chicago that I can check with; it is close to where my 2 sons live, and I/wife will be going to Chicago next month. I'll check with them.

I'll PM you later tonight with what I find out.

Cheers, Mark

Wow Mark, you are quick, aren't you..?:)

I don't want to impose on you my friend, that is one of the reasons I made the public/IAP rooms request and I didn't know if any of those places were within reach to you but, I would be most thankful if you make those enquiries for me and let me know what you find.

I have a fair amount of work to do on my lathe and I really struggle to reach for the constant belt changes, where the lathe is, I have little room to work the locking lever and see the correct belt position, I have already destroyed a number of good belts because they weren't running in the grooves correctly, sometimes, the belt would be only of half of the pulley so, I need to change that nightmare, for me anyway...!

Some people do claim that they rarely change the speeds of their lathe and use mainly a medium speed for everything, I find that quite difficult to do if you use the lathe for many types of turnings, materials in between cutting, sanding, engraving, texturing, drilling, etc, etc...!

I wish that was a more economical way to make my lathe be VS, the upgrade in question is not the ideal option for VS systems but compared to the other variable speed lathes out there, including the Nova DVR XP which is exactly the same frame and accessories as the Nova 1624-44, the the head is different, the cost of it in Australia is well over AU$4,000.00 now.

Interestingly, Nova has a new model that is not yet available in Australia, the Nova 1644 Galaxi at about USD$2,500.00 I think, that will bring it to identical cost as the DVR XP, again, it looks great and I believe the head is better than the ones on the DVR, the speed range is between 100 and 5,000 RPM and the computer settings seem to be a lot easier to work with than the DVR.

I have a good lathe, I don't need anything bigger I'm just fed-up with constant belt changes...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Rick_G

Something to consider before dropping your hard earned money is power requirements. Here in North America it's 120/240 V 60Hz. I know in Europe it's 220V 50 Hz. Don't know what it is in Australia. Most things run just fine with 50Hz. when designed for 60 Hz. but some run hotter So it might be a good idea to verify before spending the money. Hope it works out for you George I know I really appreciated the variable speed when I upgraded my lathe from a midi belt changer to a full size with variable speed.

Rounder

I will be happy to order what you need and ship it to Aussie Land for you. You are the best and deserve any help you need. I will help in any way possible.

duncsuss

I bought the upgrade motor and installed it 2 weeks ago. There is a problem with the controller unit on mine and Nova customer support have sent me a replacement (which should be arriving on Friday).

Be careful -- if you get a bad controller unit like mine it might be very difficult to get a replacement.

I recommend you find somebody in the USA who owns a 1624 and is willing to fit the upgrade motor and test-drive it for you before it gets shipped to Australia.

robutacion

I bought the upgrade motor and installed it 2 weeks ago. There is a problem with the controller unit on mine and Nova customer support have sent me a replacement (which should be arriving on Friday).

Be careful -- if you get a bad controller unit like mine it might be very difficult to get a replacement.

I recommend you find somebody in the USA who owns a 1624 and is willing to fit the upgrade motor and test-drive it for you before it gets shipped to Australia.

Well, I now know who has a 1624-44you...!:biggrin:

You would also be in the right position to test it for me, aren't you...?

On the other hand, what seems to be the problem with the controller..? there is no reason in my view to test the unit as they are and not installed, the motor and controller have all its connections to plug into the power and test the controller, being installed in the lathe does not change anything so, if I we know what to look for, there is no reason why the person that will endup grabbing one of these for me to get it out of the box and request to have it plugged into the power and follow the test you will suggest to verify if the controller is working OK or not, doesn't that make sense to you...?

Explain is detail please what needs to be done to test the controller...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Something to consider before dropping your hard earned money is power requirements. Here in North America it's 120/240 V 60Hz. I know in Europe it's 220V 50 Hz. Don't know what it is in Australia. Most things run just fine with 50Hz. when designed for 60 Hz. but some run hotter So it might be a good idea to verify before spending the money. Hope it works out for you George I know I really appreciated the variable speed when I upgraded my lathe from a midi belt changer to a full size with variable speed.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for bringing that issue up however, and from what I read multiple times of the unit specifications, I think it comes set for the 110V power but it says that is compatible to the 240V power. I don't know if the units that are made in New Zealand are set with the power ratings for the countries they go, it would be silly not to but, I can't be sure.

From what I know, the power box in the motor will have a diagram showing what wires should be connected where depending on what power they are going to run from so, I don't think that the issue is much of an issue.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Called Rockler's 800 number and she said it was in stock @ $599.00. Said it could not be shipped to Australia only to the continuous 48 states. Hope this helps.

Thank you for doing that for me..!

I don't understand why shipping to Australia would be such an issue, it can't be the power issue because the specifications say;

TECHNICAL DETAILS
Speed Range: 100-5500 RPM
Motor: 1.75HP DVR High Torque; 115V; 220v compatible
Phase: Single
Forward and Reverse: Yes
Compatible With: All NOVA 1624 lathes
Manufacturer Part Number: 53101
Weight (lbs): 45.0000

I know the unit is heavy and shipping will be costly but I am willing to pay for the freight regardless if is posted by a company or a private individual. Indeed and from previous similar experiences, the shipping costs the companies charge is most times a lot higher that what will cost any private person to post the same thing.

Thanks anyway...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I will be happy to order what you need and ship it to Aussie Land for you. You are the best and deserve any help you need. I will help in any way possible.

Hi Randy,

You are very kind my friend and I appreciate your kind words...!:biggrin:

I'm waiting for duncsuss to explain what the controller problem is so that the person getting it at the store (if all possible) can check it out, like I said before, the whole unit is ready to be plugged into the power and have the controller tested the exact same way as if is installed and attached to the belt, everything should work the same, huh...?:)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi Edgar, thank you for putting your hands up...!

I'm most touched by the number of you that are willing to help me with this, I would do the same to any of you (IAP members) nevertheless, is comforting to have friends that appreciate my efforts with everybody, thank you.

The ideal situation after we know what to look for with the controller test, is to have someone withing reasonable driving distance of the store to have it tested there, of course, it could be ordered to one of you address and have the test done there, if the controller has problems/issues, that person would be able to send it back for replacement but that would take a little longer to get things done but, we will do that is the going into the store option is not possible.

There is also another reason I made my request publically, and that has a lot more to do with the possibility of finding out if IAP has members that have had upgraded the 1624-44 lathe with one of these units and at the same times, hear from them any issues they may have/had, good or bad and make us all aware in the process.

This model lathe is very common all around the world, being made in New Zealand, Australia would be one of their first costumers and there is no doubt that, many Aussies own this lathe model.

Interestingly, looking into YouTube for any reviews or people that installed one of these, I found a small number of them, 3 if I recall correctly and none of them is in Australia but USA if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder why..? I don't think that any Aussie web-site either from Tekantool or Carbatec has ever promoted/advertised/listed this unit, with the number of 1624-44 users in Australia, and with the power compatibility to either 110V or 220V one would think they would offer this upgrade in OZ but that is not the case.

I do know a few folks in Australia that upgraded their 1624-44 with the head of the DVR xp, that I have seen advertised as the upgrade but never the dedicated upgrade such as the one I'm after. The DVR xp head would always be a more expensive upgrade, regardless.

Let's see what we endup with...!

Cheers
George

duncsuss

George,

The problem in my unit is this: when one of the controller buttons is pressed it sees multiple button clicks.

For example, if I press the forward/reverse button, it changes from forward to reverse, and back to forward, and back to reverse, and back to forward, and back ... as long as I keep my finger on the button, I can see the direction indicator flashing from one to the other and back and back.

If there was a one second delay before it started repeating, it would be a lot easier to live with -- but instead, the second key push happens a split-second after the first. Then it becomes a coin-toss whether it stops in reverse or in forward.

It does this with all the controller buttons (as far as I can tell).

So -- that's the problem. You are 100% correct in saying the motor does not have to be installed on a 1624 lathe to test whether the controller has this problem or not -- but the controller unit must be connected to the motor (the upgrade arrives with them separate -- like in the photo I've attached.) There are two cables that come out of the motor housing which need to be plugged into the controller box (plus the power supply connector.)

It could be tested by simply connecting the controller box cables, plugging into the power, and touching the forward/reverse button. If the display flashes forward/reverse/forward/reverse until you take your finger off the button, it's defective. My understanding is it should switch (and stay switched) until you release your finger and press a second time.

My reading of the specifications is that the unit is auto-sensing: it states "Power supply range: 115V - 230V / 50 Hz - 60 Hz". It's driven like a stepper motor (switched reluctance motor) so the power supply frequency doesn't have any impact on the motor speed.

I hope this helps.

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

Last edited:

robutacion

George,

The problem in my unit is this: when one of the controller buttons is pressed it sees multiple button clicks.

For example, if I press the forward/reverse button, it changes from forward to reverse, and back to forward, and back to reverse, and back to forward, and back ... as long as I keep my finger on the button, I can see the direction indicator flashing from one to the other and back and back.

If there was a one second delay before it started repeating, it would be a lot easier to live with -- but instead, the second key push happens a split-second after the first. Then it becomes a coin-toss whether it stops in reverse or in forward.

It does this with all the controller buttons (as far as I can tell).

So -- that's the problem. You are 100% correct in saying the motor does not have to be installed on a 1624 lathe to test whether the controller has this problem or not -- but the controller unit must be connected to the motor (the upgrade arrives with them separate -- like in the photo I've attached.) There are two cables that come out of the motor housing which need to be plugged into the controller box (plus the power supply connector.)

It could be tested by simply connecting the controller box cables, plugging into the power, and touching the forward/reverse button. If the display flashes forward/reverse/forward/reverse until you take your finger off the button, it's defective. My understanding is it should switch (and stay switched) until you release your finger and press a second time.

My reading of the specifications is that the unit is auto-sensing: it states "Power supply range: 115V - 230V / 50 Hz - 60 Hz". It's driven like a stepper motor (switched reluctance motor) so the power supply frequency doesn't have any impact on the motor speed.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 161370

View attachment 161371

It sure does help, anyone reading your post will know what to do and yes, the motor and controller don't come attached to each other, getting them out of the box, put the plugs in and connect to power shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, I'm sure the store manager or person in charge will prefer to have the test done there than have it taken away only to return later, huh...?

When you contacted your seller, did they confirmed that what your controller was doing was in fact a problem..?

Interestingly, one of the Youtube videos I say about installing the upgrade, the old fellow didn't seem that "mechanical" minded, and he struggled to install it, something that should take no more than 30 minutes.

I contacted him about his opinion after using if for while and he told me that, he didn't like the controls, particularly the back and reverse button, he said that, it require various attempts to get it to change, now that I heard what you said, I wonder if he had the same issue but he didn't explain it properly, I don't know.

I contacted 2 other fellows that installed this upgrade and they say that they have no issues, the only thing that are clear about is, why didn't they had made the upgrade long ago, there is, instal variable speed...!:biggrin:

I'm ready, so let's see which one of you are in the better position to go to the store and make the test/purchased the unit and have it sent to the land of the Kangaroos...!:)

PS: Is there only 1 IAP member that have installed this upgrade..?

Cheers
George

Last edited:

duncsuss

When you contacted your seller, did they confirmed that what your controller was doing was in fact a problem..?
PS: Is there only 1 IAP member that have installed this upgrade..?

George, I didn't even talk with the manager of the store where I bought it (the local Woodcraft). I knew that he'd never seen one and had not opened the box -- he ordered it at my request.

I called the Teknatool customer support phone number directly and spoke with a person who knew the machine, and he said right away this was going to involve sending me a replacement controller.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out I'm the only IAP member who has bought this upgrade motor. They have not been easily available to buy in the USA -- they've been "on back order" from the factory (in China, I believe) for many months. From what I've read online, each time they get a delivery of a few units they are sold out very quickly.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
George,
It is not in stock at the Rockler or Woodcraft stores in Houston, so I would have to order it.

I'll be happy to do so if needed, but hopefully someone will be able to find one in stock for you.

Edgar

Rounder

Hi George,
I am not close to a store but have no issue at all ordering and testing for you. With the kindness you have shown to me, that would be the least I could do. If nothing better happens, please let me know and we can get the ball rolling.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi George, finally got my power lines to my house restrung (36 hours after the storm).

OK, my local Rockler can order it and get it here in about a week. And, I also know a few local IAP members who are Electrical Engineers that can do a "quality check" for you!

PM will follow.

I checked my nearby Rockler, and they could get me on in 10 to 14 days. The guy I spoke with said they don't carry them in the store, but its an orderable item for them. Which made sense, as they can only stock so much in store, and other items being orderable. He did not sound like he would allow someone to try it at the store, but suggested calling Teknatool to inquire about if there was any fix to the fwd/rev button problem I asked about. He said he never heard of any issues, but he also wasn't familiar with the specific item either. So, if you want it, I could go there tomorrow and order it up.

I see Mark already posted probably a better connection for you, as he knows someone that could thouroughly check it out before posting it to you, but I still can order it for you if need me to.

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi George, finally got my power lines to my house restrung (36 hours after the storm).

OK, my local Rockler can order it and get it here in about a week. And, I also know a few local IAP members who are Electrical Engineers that can do a "quality check" for you!

PM will follow.

Hi Mark,

Those are great news, from the power problem you have had, and the possibility to order it for me and have it checked before is shipped. I will certainly accept your assistance in this matter, thank you very much.

Indeed, the shipping will be very expensive as this thing is heavy and I want it insured to cover its value and case of problems, have the test done at the store, should be acceptable by the store owner/manager, it would be silly to deny the test to be made there, in front of them, so that if the unit has problems, they are also a witness of the issue and would have a lot more authority to made the replacement claim to Teknatool, don't you think..?

And for those of you that have kindly offer to help, your offer is not forgotten nor less appreciated, I'm grateful that I have friends on the other side of the pond willing to give me a hand and I can say that I do get myself in this same position quite often, for the exact same reasons, they simply will not ship to Australia and until some time ago, I had a good friend and also IAP member that was most willing to get the stuff for me and ship it to me, a good hand full of items in the first few years but, he has moved on from IAP to do other things and we lost most contacts so, I will be coming back to those of you that put the hand up and are willing to help me in these type situations.

For now, Mark James will be taking care of this issue and I will update you all/this thread as soon as I have some news...!

Thank you all very kindly...!:biggrin:

To be continued...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

G'Day George,

Have you thought about buying an inverter and fitting it yourself?
If you do make sure you buy one that is big enough for your motor size,DAMHIKT.

1.5KW 2HP VFD INVERTER 7A 220V 1 OR 3 PHASE VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE DRIVE INVERTER | eBay

G'day mate, long time don't see..!:wink:

Some time ago I did and then I realised that I didn't really know what motor type I would need, the possibility that I had to have a new motor bracket, I doubt the original bracket would accommodate other sort of motor housing, shaft sizes, the correct VFD for the motor and all the connections that looked a little too confusing for me, if I recall correctly I had made a cost estimate of about AU$500.00 before I had it all done and working.

I was not comfortable with it all so, I gave up that idea...!

This upgrade is going to cost me the best part of AU$1,000 but, what is needed to exchange the motors and instal the controller, that looked very easy for me to do, somehow as I'm getting older, I'm a little fed-up with improvising or try to save some money by doing everything myself often without the correct materials, tools and state of mind, not forgetting my poor eyes that are getting a little fuzzy...!:frown:

I'm also getting a lot lazier, and that is the truth...!

Let's see what happens..!

Hey, when are you coming my way, again...?

PS: Can someone explain to me why the motor that comes with these type tools, lathe, bandsaw, drill press doesn't work with a VFD...?

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Curly

PS: Can someone explain to me why the motor that comes with these type tools, lathe, bandsaw, drill press doesn't work with a VFD...?

Cheers
George

It is because most machines are supplied with a single phase motor. A VDF only works on a three phase motor, usually delta wound. It controls the speed by magically changing the single phase into three phases and then speeding or slowing the phases to the motor as asked. If all our stuff came with 3 phase motors it would be easy but most homes here at least, only come with single phase power without an option for three phase, hence hobby stuff only comes with a single phase motor. You need to buy bigger machines in order to get the options of single or three phase and most of us can't afford or accommodate those toys.

duncsuss

As promised, the replacement controller unit for my motor was delivered yesterday. In a while, I'll find out if this behaves differently than the original one.

I will be very unhappy if what I consider to be a fault is something they have designed into the unit.

IMAG0725.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll be reviewing and following this thread as I have ordered George's upgrade, and will try to insure it is sound/working prior to shipping to him. I will have a 90 day return policy option if it is faulty.

A step-by-step instruction for a "Non-Electrician" would be helpful. I will also pull in a few favors with some local IAP Electricial Engineers/Electricians/Building Inspectors :wink:!

George, your upgrade may become the most pre-tested conversion kit ever!

robutacion

Cheers
George

It is because most machines are supplied with a single phase motor. A VDF only works on a three phase motor, usually delta wound. It controls the speed by magically changing the single phase into three phases and then speeding or slowing the phases to the motor as asked. If all our stuff came with 3 phase motors it would be easy but most homes here at least, only come with single phase power without an option for three phase, hence hobby stuff only comes with a single phase motor. You need to buy bigger machines in order to get the options of single or three phase and most of us can't afford or accommodate those toys.

Thanks for your reply/explanation.

I never thought of that, as 3 phase power is also very limited withing the urban areas, Industrial areas will have it connected to every building however, I know/knew a few folks that have had the 3 phase connected in their houses/workshops for an expensive cost.

One of the things that confuses me is how come some electric tools such as drills, zig-saws and so many other hand-held type tools have variable speed, in fact I just thought of the washing machine, they rotate from very slow to very fast are you saying that them are 3 phase..? on a 220V or 110V power supply...?:eek:

Simple electrical stuff, I can handle such as put power points and lights but when comes to the more technical stuff, I get all confuse...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

As promised, the replacement controller unit for my motor was delivered yesterday. In a while, I'll find out if this behaves differently than the original one.

I will be very unhappy if what I consider to be a fault is something they have designed into the unit.

View attachment 161444

I hope that it works as you were told by the Tecknatool people that it should work, apart from that, most of people I spoke about this issue, they never mentioned the issue so, I'm sure they would have because it looks to be very annoying problem/issue.

When ready, let us know...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'll be reviewing and following this thread as I have ordered George's upgrade, and will try to insure it is sound/working prior to shipping to him. I will have a 90 day return policy option if it is faulty.

A step-by-step instruction for a "Non-Electrician" would be helpful. I will also pull in a few favors with some local IAP Electricial Engineers/Electricians/Building Inspectors :wink:!

George, your upgrade may become the most pre-tested conversion kit ever!

Oh boy Mark, make sure they don't wear it on the display buttons, I still need to be able to read it...!:wink::bananen_smilies046:

Seriously mate, it should not be that bad, at least I hope not...!:) With my luck, it may fail as soon as I install it

Cheers
George

Last edited:

duncsuss

View attachment 161444

I hope that it works as you were told by the Tecknatool people that it should work, apart from that, most of people I spoke about this issue, they never mentioned the issue so, I'm sure they would have because it looks to be very annoying problem/issue.

Cheers
George

There is good news and bad news.

The replacement controller unit has a newer program installed.

Good news: when I press the buttons, it waits longer before entering "repeat keystroke mode", long enough that I can get my finger off the button before it starts the repeats.

Bad news: it has a new bug, when I press one of the "Preset Speed" buttons it thinks I'm asking to change the value stored in the preset and requires me to press "Confirm" before actually changing the speed.

I changed back to the original controller and tested to see if it also behaved that way -- it does not. Pressing "F1" simply sets the speed to the stored value.

Now I must decide which of these bugs is more irritating.

On one side, what's the point of having a quick-select button if it takes longer to use than simply dialling the speed setting with the rotary knob?

On the other side, at least I can change from forward to reverse without having to try multiple times.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.

All depends on Mum, proberly later in the year. She is not good.

What you have will be single phase 240 V, there is a little sicker or plate on the motor
that will tell you if it is 240v 1ph or 415v 3ph

Something like this on my VL300

I converted my VL100 to variable speed but I got every thing from Vicmarc, I had to get a new belt and change the pulley in the head stock.

Been thinking of getting something like this one, to put on my drill press, because it if to hard to change the belts (And I'm too lazy ) when I need to change the speed, always think it will be OK for a couple of holes then another drill bit buggered.

1.5kw/2HP 7A 240V AC single phase variable frequency drive inverter VSD VFD | eBay

I'm getting older, I'm a little fed-up with improvising or try to save some money by doing everything myself often without the correct materials, tools and state of mind, not forgetting my poor eyes that are getting a little fuzzy...!

You describing me here?

If I need something something Alice Spring may have it, but there is less and less you can get there, lots of time its a waste time going there and driving 1000km round trip.

robutacion

Cheers
George

There is good news and bad news.

The replacement controller unit has a newer program installed.

Good news: when I press the buttons, it waits longer before entering "repeat keystroke mode", long enough that I can get my finger off the button before it starts the repeats.

Bad news: it has a new bug, when I press one of the "Preset Speed" buttons it thinks I'm asking to change the value stored in the preset and requires me to press "Confirm" before actually changing the speed.

I changed back to the original controller and tested to see if it also behaved that way -- it does not. Pressing "F1" simply sets the speed to the stored value.

Now I must decide which of these bugs is more irritating.

On one side, what's the point of having a quick-select button if it takes longer to use than simply dialling the speed setting with the rotary knob?

On the other side, at least I can change from forward to reverse without having to try multiple times.[/QUOTE]

OK so, they didn't ask for you to send the other controller back to them...???

I agree with your points/views and I wonder what the Tekantool technical people has to say about that if it has a new program installed on the second controller, is there any way to connect the controller to a computer and have it tweeted that way...?:confused:

Now, one other thing that I forgot to ask you before is, can you provided the original box sizes with both the motor and controller in...?

I'm trying to figure out if USA Post has any flat rate box big enough to have the original box simply put inside or, remove both parts and have then re-packed in a flat rate box, I have the option of having it sent via sea-freight, or even have each item packed separately on suitable flat rate boxes, I mention flat rate boxes because is my belief that, if it fits, weight is irrelevant, right..?

According to the item specifications, the box weight 45 pounds = 20.5kg :eek:

Any ideas..?

Cheers
George

robutacion

All depends on Mum, proberly later in the year. She is not good.

I'm getting older, I'm a little fed-up with improvising or try to save some money by doing everything myself often without the correct materials, tools and state of mind, not forgetting my poor eyes that are getting a little fuzzy...!

You describing me here?

If I need something something Alice Spring may have it, but there is less and less you can get there, lots of time its a waste time going there and driving 1000km round trip.

Well, in that case, I hope not to see soon but, no one has any control over old age and health issues, huh...?

Send our regards to them...!

Cheers
George

duncsuss

OK so, they didn't ask for you to send the other controller back to them...???
Yes, I have to send it back -- but I am to return the controller using the shipping boxes they used to send me the replacement. For a couple of days I have both controllers.

I agree with your points/views and I wonder what the Tekantool technical people has to say about that if it has a new program installed on the second controller, is there any way to connect the controller to a computer and have it tweeted that way...?:confused:
That's something I'll talk with them about when I phone tomorrow. My guess is they will say "no" and that's okay with me -- I don't want to be responsible if the circuit gets a zap of static and pops.

(I do have the AVR/Atmel microcontroller development kit and debugger, but haven't used it in years. If they went out of business I might be able to figure out how to get in there and tweak the program!)

Now, one other thing that I forgot to ask you before is, can you provided the original box sizes with both the motor and controller in...?
It's 24" long, 12" high, 12.5" wide.

I'm trying to figure out if USA Post has any flat rate box big enough to have the original box simply put inside or, remove both parts and have then re-packed in a flat rate box
The controller unit measures approximately 9" x 8" x 5-1/2".

It might just fit into a USPS Medium (11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2") FRB (but that's a tight fit, and could result in the rotary dial breaking if it takes a hit).

The Large FRB has the same height as the Medium -- 5-1/2" -- so that could also be risky to hold the controller unit (again, the rotary dial would be pressing against the box, there would be no space for padding to protect against shocks).

The motor is about 8" diameter by 13" long (including the shaft that fits into the pulleys). I do not think there is a flat rate box that will hold this.

Naturally the motor is the heaviest part of the unit (I can't weigh it since it's bolted onto my lathe!), putting the lighter component into a flat rate box might turn out to cost more.

I mention flat rate boxes because is my belief that, if it fits, weight is irrelevant, right..?
Not for international.

To Australia, the both Medium and Large FR boxes have a weight limit of 20lbs -- enough for the controller box (which weighs 7-3/4lbs), not for the motor (which wouldn't fit in a flat rate box anyway).

Cost for Medium FRB to Australia is USD 75.95.

Cost for Large FRB to Australia is USD 95.95.

According to the item specifications, the box weight 45 pounds = 20.5kg :eek:

Any ideas..?
That sounds about right -- I could carry it myself, but would not want to carry it a long distance.

I can't offer suggestions on shipping, George. (The largest item I've ever shipped to Australia is a fountain pen.) I can't even think of any companies I know that ship goods from USA to Oz, or I would try to find out what method they use.

duncsuss

Since I was on the USPS website anyway, I plugged in the weight and dimensions of the box the entire unit came in -- 45lbs, 24" x 12" x 13".

Priority Mail International: Max. length 42", max. length plus girth 97"
== USD 259.20

Priority Mail Express International: Max. length 36", max. length plus girth 97"
== USD 339.95

(Both these prices are without shipping insurance.)

duncsuss

I just got off the phone with Teknatool customer support. After I explained the (new) issues, he did a quick check with one of his co-workers, then offered to send me a complete replacement -- both controller and motor (return freight paid, of course).

Also, I sent them my notes on the new controller, and links to videos showing the original controller problem and the replacement controller problem.

Honestly, I can't fault their customer support -- just wish I didn't have to use it!

robutacion

I just got off the phone with Teknatool customer support. After I explained the (new) issues, he did a quick check with one of his co-workers, then offered to send me a complete replacement -- both controller and motor (return freight paid, of course).

Also, I sent them my notes on the new controller, and links to videos showing the original controller problem and the replacement controller problem.

Honestly, I can't fault their customer support -- just wish I didn't have to use it!

G'day Dunkan,

Thank you very much for all your troubles and work on providing me with all that interesting info on box sizes and box options, etc., thank you...!

I have had Mark giving me similar costs for sending the original box which is well padded via air-freight, I wonder how much it will cost sending it sea-freight..?

Anyway, I can't believe what has been happening to you and the Nova upgrade, I wonder why they are sending stuff without testing it and now, they are offering to send a new complete upgrade set (motor and controller)...??:eek:

Are they just taking a complete unit out of the shelf/stock and posting it "hopping" that is one will work..? what that hell..???

What will happen to all the parts that are returned, are they repacked properly and send to the next person..?

I wonder if these units were all done/made at the same time and distributed around and now, they keep moving them around depending upon where the purchase request/customer is at, regardless of distributor name such as Rockler, Carbatec or other...?

If is there a known problem with the controllers, why aren't they checked out before sending to customer...?

The thing is Dunkan, I'm not asking or expecting you to answer these questions, I would certainly would have a "good time" if I could ask these questions myself to the Tekantool technical people and see what they would say, you probably have had the same questions in your head, after all, you are just ahead than me, with the Nova upgrade issue and I'm glad (somehow) that you are addressing an issue that I don't really want or would be in the position to be sending things backs and forwards, not from Australia, and they (Rockler/Teknatool) wouldn't care, they sold the unit to an USA resident and not to an Australia resident so, that will put's the whole thing in a new perspective and that is why is so important that I have good friends in the USA that can test the unit for me and only post to me, if everything is OK.

I only hope that I get lucky and the unit Mark is getting for me is OK and avoid all these backs and forwards with items and wasted time and phone calls, I would hate to know I would cause my good friend Mark James such a grief issue but I also know that, I'm in good hands and that Mark will have a number of people that can also help him to make sure everything works as it should after that, there is, after it arrives here and is plugged into the 220v nothing stupid will happen and make me to lose some more hairs from the few left in my head so, I know that there are many of these upgrades out there that are working perfectly/as intended to and I'm trying to buy/pay for one of those.

At the same time is a bonus that the whole thing doesn't need the lathe to be tested, everything needed (apart from power supply) comes in the box and that makes the testing a lot easier.

While I'm talking about power supply, would you main Dunkan to ask the technical people you have been talking to about this 110V - 220V thing, do I have to do anything or there will be wires that will need to be changed around...? It would put my mind on ease knowing the correct answer to that question, I have been trying to search for it but, I haven't found a conclusive answer..!

Well, enough for now...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

duncsuss

George, next time I talk to somebody at Teknatool, I will try to remember to ask them if the unit can be simply plugged into 240V without changing anything beyond the plug.

(I'm 99% certain that nothing has to be done.)

Top Bottom