Last one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

When I set out on this frustrating journey to make an Inside Out pen to fit a standard pen kit you have seen all the results good and bad and your comments were encouraging. And today this is it. Yes I left the Tube Brass and I think it suites the wood and got fed up scratching the paint on insertion. So after many attempts thats the mission accomplished. I promise to move on and not make any more think I've pushed it to the limit.
As always your comments are appreciated. Sorry Ken gave upon painting the tube.

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 128
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 122
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 123
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Looks Great! I liked them all and would like to see more if your up to another in the future. Not to put down the every day pens but when you start looking into trying something different I get ideas from others ideas. I do try to change it up if I can. There's been a few times I've taken things I've seen others do and was able to use it with one of my projects. That's why I don't mind going to places where most guys would say that's for women because I'm not looking for women items I'm looking for ideas or materials I can use for pens. The same goes for knife supply places only I'm not the only guy looking around. Anyway long story to say don't think I'm getting tired of looking at your different experiments.

Kcimdrib

Looks Great! I liked them all and would like to see more if your up to another in the future. Not to put down the every day pens but when you start looking into trying something different I get ideas from others ideas. I do try to change it up if I can. There's been a few times I've taken things I've seen others do and was able to use it with one of my projects. That's why I don't mind going to places where most guys would say that's for women because I'm not looking for women items I'm looking for ideas or materials I can use for pens. The same goes for knife supply places only I'm not the only guy looking around. Anyway long story to say don't think I'm getting tired of looking at your different experiments.
Thats most kind of you to say so. Yes there are some very some talented Pen makers on this site and I like to see what other people make. I have quite limited equipment in my workshop so its trying to make the most of what you have and I suppose we all have preferences . Mine is wood and not Acrylic but thats not say it shouldn't be used.

magpens

This is a fascinating pen .... and I have enjoyed the whole journey following you to this point !!

You have done an outstanding job .... both with regard to the pen .... and also growing your skills, tolerance, and patience !!! . . . LOL !!!

Leaving the brass tube exposed is just fine. . But .... have you thought of doing a tube-in casting in resin ? .
That would add a whole other dimension to the project.

Kcimdrib

This is a fascinating pen .... and I have enjoyed the whole journey following you to this point !!

You have done an outstanding job .... both with regard to the pen .... and also growing your skills, tolerance, and patience !!! . . . LOL !!!

Leaving the brass tube exposed is just fine. . But .... have you thought of doing a tube-in casting in resin ? .
That would add a whole other dimension to the project.
Think you will you explain that don't really understand. I have never cast in resin so if you could explain please. Thank you for your comments.

magpens

Think you will you explain that don't really understand. I have never cast in resin so if you could explain please. Thank you for your comments.

I have never cast in resin but there are people who do .... perhaps somebody on IAP would be interested in giving it a try.

I may not understand the process by which you got to your final pen so my suggestion may have no merit.

Your pen has a bulged shape. . I was thinking of filling the cavity with resin.
The resin would occupy the region between the brass tube and the inside surface of the wood barrel.
That might be possible with the wood shaped as it is now.

But, I believe a tube in casting would be easier to do .... IF .... (and it might be impossible, depending on your process of getting to this final shape).
Here is the IF ....
Is there a stage of your process where the wood has a cylindrical outer shape, with the cavity as it is now, and with the brass tube in place as now ?

If the answer is YES, then doing casting should be an easy matter .... it is just a matter of filling the cavity with resin and then shaping to present shape.

I hope I am making my thoughts clear enough .

It was just a thought I had. . The result would be a concealed brass tube plus the openings through the wood filled with an attractive colour resin.

Kenny Durrant

That's an idea Mal! There's a whole new world in casting. You could dye the resin and have a colored acrylic in the center or glue something to the tube and cast in clear resin and add a new detention to the pen. If your were a little further west I'd love to join in and help. There are several here that cast so maybe someone else will chime in.

Kcimdrib

I have never cast in resin but there are people who do .... perhaps somebody on IAP would be interested in giving it a try.

I may not understand the process by which you got to your final pen so my suggestion may have no merit.

Your pen has a bulged shape. . I was thinking of filling the cavity with resin.
The resin would occupy the region between the brass tube and the inside surface of the wood barrel.
That might be possible with the wood shaped as it is now.

But, I believe a tube in casting would be easier to do .... IF .... (and it might be impossible, depending on your process of getting to this final shape).
Here is the IF ....
Is there a stage of your process where the wood has a cylindrical outer shape, with the cavity as it is now, and with the brass tube in place as now ?

If the answer is YES, then doing casting should be an easy matter .... it is just a matter of filling the cavity with resin and then shaping to present shape.

I hope I am making my thoughts clear enough .

It was just a thought I had. . The result would be a concealed brass tube plus the openings through the wood filled with an attractive colour resin.
Well thanks for that. I put an undrilled blank in the lath turn between centres turn the inside curve.
Then cut the blank along its length into 4 long segments glue and reverse these so the curve is on the inside . Cut the assembled wood to length drill insert the tube sand to length. You are now ready perhaps to cast in resin. I am sure you will understand this.
Its food for thought.

magpens

Thanks.
Yes, your process would lend itself to casting, because there is a stage where the wood is cylindrical in shape.

After you cut, reverse, and glue ... you can then turn cylindrical.

At that point you can cast in resin in order to fill the cavity .... then drill and glue in the tube(s). . And, finally, turn to the shape you have.

Kcimdrib

I will do some researching I guess that moulds are involved and I have heard Pressure Pots mentioned to get rid of air bubbles. Thank you so much for your help.

henry1164

You don't say how the pen is finished (unless I missed it). Also, I would be interested in knowing how the inside is finished. Thanks.

magpens

@Kcimdrib

Sounds like I came across OK. . For myself, I would not start up a casting operation of my own. . Maybe get someone else to do it.

Anyway, whatever .... I would like to try that Inside-Out method someday and I'll ask you more about it later if I decide to do it..

Stephanie

When I set out on this frustrating journey to make an Inside Out pen to fit a standard pen kit you have seen all the results good and bad and your comments were encouraging. And today this is it. Yes I left the Tube Brass and I think it suites the wood and got fed up scratching the paint on insertion. So after many attempts thats the mission accomplished. I promise to move on and not make any more think I've pushed it to the limit.
As always your comments are appreciated. Sorry Ken gave upon painting the tube.
That is insanely amazing!

Kcimdrib

That's an idea Mal! There's a whole new world in casting. You could dye the resin and have a colored acrylic in the center or glue something to the tube and cast in clear resin and add a new detention to the pen. If your were a little further west I'd love to join in and help. There are several here that cast so maybe someone else

You don't say how the pen is finished (unless I missed it). Also, I would be interested in knowing how the inside is finished. Thanks.
The inside is finished before reversing the 4 segments because you turn the inside first. The Pen is finally finished with Melamine Laquer.

magpens

@Kcimdrib

You definitely have NOT "lost the plot", Michael !! . I think your creativity and your work are both outstanding !!

For doing the longitunal cuts, did you use a bandsaw ?

Kcimdrib

If I told you my farther made ornaments using this method using turning tools ground from old files. I am now 75 and would have been about 10 when I watched him do it. He never made pens but he was a good woodturner so maybe its in my Genes. Not that I am a good wood Turner just keep trying.

Kcimdrib

@Kcimdrib

You definitely have NOT "lost the plot", Michael !! . I think your creativity and your work are both outstanding !!

For doing the longitunal cuts, did you use a bandsaw ?
Yes I use my bandsaw for all my cutting don't have another saw.
Thank you for your very kind comments.

Kcimdrib

I would like to thank all who commented, and offered suggestions you have given me food for thought.

Top Bottom