Laser Engraver and Rotary Roller - Which is best for pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I have a potential client that is interested in ordering a decent number of pens, 30 to start, but potentially more regular batches of 60 down the road. They want to have their logo engraved on the pens.

I've been looking at engravers, but I'm honestly a bit lost. Have never done any engraving before, and it looks like there are some laser-only engravers as well as laser+CNC engravers. I also found rotary roller systems, however I've been having trouble identifying which are compatible with which engravers.

Just looking for some advice. I will certainly be engraving pens...but, I think I'd also like to be able to engrave boxes down the road, as getting into custom pen box making is something on my list. Heck, even buying boxes in the interim, it would be nice to offer custom engraving for both box and pen.

One thing I'm also curious about...I've seen some cases where laser engravers just seem to remove material, including wood, and other times when they seem to burn the wood. I can see the case for both, and depending on the lightness of the wood I could see staining or painting the inside of the engraving as well (to that end...would it be possible to say tape the surface of the blank or box before engraving, engrave through the tape, so that only the shape was exposed after engraving was complete, and the rest of the box was properly protected from any paint or stain? Or anything to protect the un-engraved surface, doesn't necessarily need to be tape.)

I am not looking to buy a high end pricy engraver to start...something more reasonable, $150-$400 say, or around that price range.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I don't remember the name of the Facebook; i am not on it any more., but there used to be a group dedicated to laser engravers.

jrista

I don't remember the name of the Facebook; i am not on it any more., but there used to be a group dedicated to laser engravers.

Oh, I unplugged from social media...something like 7 or 8 years ago now. No facebook, twitter, or anything else for me. Forums are about as far as I go these days. ;)

Arnold

I have a potential client that is interested in ordering a decent number of pens, 30 to start, but potentially more regular batches of 60 down the road. They want to have their logo engraved on the pens.

I've been looking at engravers, but I'm honestly a bit lost. Have never done any engraving before, and it looks like there are some laser-only engravers as well as laser+CNC engravers. I also found rotary roller systems, however I've been having trouble identifying which are compatible with which engravers.

Just looking for some advice. I will certainly be engraving pens...but, I think I'd also like to be able to engrave boxes down the road, as getting into custom pen box making is something on my list. Heck, even buying boxes in the interim, it would be nice to offer custom engraving for both box and pen.

One thing I'm also curious about...I've seen some cases where laser engravers just seem to remove material, including wood, and other times when they seem to burn the wood. I can see the case for both, and depending on the lightness of the wood I could see staining or painting the inside of the engraving as well (to that end...would it be possible to say tape the surface of the blank or box before engraving, engrave through the tape, so that only the shape was exposed after engraving was complete, and the rest of the box was properly protected from any paint or stain? Or anything to protect the un-engraved surface, doesn't necessarily need to be tape.)

I am not looking to buy a high end pricy engraver to start...something more reasonable, $150-$400 say, or around that price range.

Thank you!
I just bought this laser for pens...Neje Master 3500 Laser Engraver Combo

Pen_man_ship

This is what I was looking at.

I didn't go forward with the purchase so I can't recommend it or give you any advise.
What interested me was the roller accessory, seems that would be great for pens.

target64

I didn't go forward with the purchase so I can't recommend it or give you any advise.
What interested me was the roller accessory, seems that would be great for pens.
That is the one I ordered. I will update after I get it and get it going.

jrista

Wow, sounds like a lot of people are getting into laser engraving these days.

I'm curious about the wattage ratings. I see many rated in milliwatts, and others in watts. So we have 1500mW, or 1.5W, up through 20, 30, 40W. I figure it doesn't take much power to engrave wood or even resins...are the higher wattages for engraving metals or harder materials?

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the more powerful lasers improve the speed at which things can be engraved...

jrista

So, looking at the roller for that. I found another system that supported a similar roller...and IIRC, the minimum roller distance was 30mm. I'm wondering if that is actually sufficient to support engraving a turned down blank...especially if we are talking about a slimline or other slimmer kit, I wonder if the pen would sit within the rollers...

I just bought this laser for pens...Neje Master 3500 Laser Engraver Combo

The roller for this system seems like it would be more effective for engraving turned pen blanks. At the same time, its 3.5W, so I suspect its engraving speed would be pretty slow compared to a 20W system...

Arnold

So, looking at the roller for that. I found another system that supported a similar roller...and IIRC, the minimum roller distance was 30mm. I'm wondering if that is actually sufficient to support engraving a turned down blank...especially if we are talking about a slimline or other slimmer kit, I wonder if the pen would sit within the rollers...

The roller for this system seems like it would be more effective for engraving turned pen blanks. At the same time, its 3.5W, so I suspect its engraving speed would be pretty slow compared to a 20W system...
Here is a thread you may like to read....

Top Bottom