Larry's Bottle Stopper Mold Idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

Larry's Bottle Stopper Mold Idea

Using 2oz Plastic Energy Shot Bottles with a recycle # of 1 I can pour 2oz of Poly-Resin into the bottle with a small amount of waste for turning. I think you get a decent size blank to work with. Just about 1/4" thickness around the widest part of the bottle stopper. The bottles do not melt with the PR. To remove the blank I cut a line all the way around the bottle as close to the edge of the flattest point near the bottom. Remove the end piece, unscrew the cap, then roll the bottle on a flat surface to break the blank part from the bottle walls. Using a punch if needed I gently hammer out the blank. At this point you can put the cap back on, flip the bottle over with the base removed. You can then use a block of wood, drill out a hole wide enough for either the cap or cap and upper portion of the bottle. With it flipped over in the wood base for support you can still put close to 2oz of PR inside the bottle with it upside down to prevent wasting bottles. I haven't tried it yet with the cap on and upside down to see if the cap will stick. In theory it should work off and be re-usable. I hope everyone finds this idea useful. I'm not sure if this exact method has been used. I didn't see anything on IAP about it yet doing searches. Also I found a supplier of these white 2oz plastic bottles for about $19 for 48count. I just asked some coworkers to collect a few and had a couple to drink myself. So for now I have about 20 to work with. Just make sure you clean them out real good and let them dry.

Attachments

• BSMOLD-1b.jpg
    BSMOLD-1b.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 177
  • BSMOLD-2b.jpg
    BSMOLD-2b.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 211
  • BSMOLD-3b.jpg
    BSMOLD-3b.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 240
  • BSMOLD-4b.jpg
    BSMOLD-4b.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 209
  • BSMOLD-5b.jpg
    BSMOLD-5b.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Plastic1.gif
    Plastic1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

The green blank from above. Didn't turn out to bad. So far I like this idea for using the bottles as a mold.

Attachments

• BSMOLD-6.jpg
    BSMOLD-6.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 265

NC Wood Art

I have a bunch of new clean 2 oz bottles I can offer in trade or sell cheap. I use to bottle up nutrients to give away to my hydroponic customers but since stopped due to manf. complaining about me repackaging their products.

I will have to count to see how many I still have, but I also have 4oz, 8oz & some 16 oz left.

Let me know if anyone has an interest in acquiring some for cheap or trade for blanks.

Figure .30 cents each with caps only on the 2 oz size.

PM me for quickest response.

Bill

LarryDNJR

Tried some Alumilite of these two nights ago and the heat warped the bottles considerably to keep from being reused. I had to cut 3 of them completely apart to get the blank out since unlike PR the blanks didn't shrink inside the bottle. Either way you wish to go Alumilite or PR I think the idea is alright. My preference would have to be PR for these I think.

Top Bottom