Lacquer over BLO ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I have an Ambrosia Maple blank on the lathe, to which I applied a coat of BLO last night. (It's got some great figure!:D)

Any problems/tips/tricks with coats of spray lacquer over that? I will have 24 hours drying time in it tonight, shouldn't that be sufficient to dry? I really don't want to use CA on this one, given my challenges w/CA!![:eek:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I would use dewaxed shellac betwean the BLO and the Laquer. (a sanding sealer would probably work but I know the Shellac will)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use lacquer over BLO all the time in my scroll work... it will work on pens also...
BUT, I would allow the BLO to dry more than 24hrs.... generally BLO takes a while to dry..
On my scroll work I generally allow at least 3 days drying time...

Fangar

My .02 cents on the Lacquer over the blo would be to let it dry out for a while. Worst case, you would have to sand back through it, but I have pretty much eliminated BLO fro my CA finishes except for a small amount at the prior to the first application. I burnish it dry with some 0000 wool or similar. I was getting some cloudiness from time to time.

I just finished another Spalted maple for a customer and pulled one of my home brew stabalized ambrosia maples out and turned it today along with it. Very wild. I used a CA finish. I will post it up when I get some time.

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I wet sand with BLO all the time.I use the MM up to 9 but stop applying the blo at around 5or 6.
I burnish with a towel after 9.
I too have esperienced ghosts but have a theory as to where they come from.
I am guessing that while sanding/burnishing I am building up heat in the blank.I believe the "ghosts" are appearing due to my sealing up the pen with CA prior to letting it cool off enough prior to the applicaton.Any moisture in the blank migrates to the surface buy cannot be released because of the CA.
A nice thing about wet sanding with the blo and burnishing, it makes a great grain filler.
IIRC Russes hombrew friction finish contains BLO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom