Knurling tool on a wood lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I am thinking of a new project. I have been successful at turning brass (and aluminum) on my wood lathe (turncrafter 12). I am thinking of making a brass piece and adding knurling to it. Has anyone attempted this on a wood lathe? Could I acquire (i.e. purchase) a knurling tool, and make some adaptation to my wood lathe? I know the answer is to buy a metal lathe, but I am not sure I could justify the purchase. Not to mention, I have no room or any more tools.

I should add, the one and only time I used a knurling tool was in metal shop class in 1972.

Thanks, Carl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

It's possible as you can use knurling tools to do "chatter work patterns "on wood but to add knurling you need either a VERY steady hand or to have some means of holding the tools firmly in position.

A scissor type twin wheel knurl might work better but that will definately need some sort of clamp to hold it in position.

eharri446

They make a hand held knurling tool with will handle 1/8 to 1/18 inch diameters, but is is not cheap. The one I saw cost $78.00.

More4dan

You could possibly knurl the width of the knurling tool. It would be difficult to mark a longer section without a steady power feed. The best chance would be with a scissor type as mentioned above. A steady mount will require some work to fabricate a base or a tool holder to fit in your tool post. Unless you're doing a lot of knurling, it might be better to find a friend with a metal lathe.

I don't think it would be possible to hold the tool stead by hand. I struggle to get clean marks with a metal lathe.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Carl, I believe I have exactly the tool for your need. Before giving you the link, I will state. I know Ron personally and can vouch for him. He is the founder of the woodworking association to which I am a member. When you see his website you will find many tools, materials. videos, and lots of good sound advice. Scroll down to the "TEXTURING" box, click on it. Having a problem attaching link. Go to www.ronbrownsbest.com, scroll down to "Texturing", you will find knurling tools, and texturing tools. You can find videos on their use on his web site for sale as well. Ron is a very accomplished wood turner. Until Covid he travelled with the Woodworking Shows.

Let me know of your success,

carlmorrell

Carl, I believe I have exactly the tool for your need. Before giving you the link, I will state. I know Ron personally and can vouch for him. He is the founder of the woodworking association to which I am a member. When you see his website you will find many tools, materials. videos, and lots of good sound advice. Scroll down to the "TEXTURING" box, click on it. Having a problem attaching link. Go to www.ronbrownsbest.com, scroll down to "Texturing", you will find knurling tools, and texturing tools. You can find videos on their use on his web site for sale as well. Ron is a very accomplished wood turner. Until Covid he travelled with the Woodworking Shows.

Let me know of your success,
Charles,

I thought those tools were for wood. Do you have experience using them on brass?

Thanks, Carl

sbwertz

I have one of these

It took a while to get the hang of using it properly, but it works well on most woods. Never tried it on brass. You would need a steady hand.

Chasboy1

The problem with a metal lathe vs wood lathe in relation to your question is that a metal lathe is able to apply much more pressure on the tool, which is necessary for getting a good pattern. To do an area wider than the tool, you need the steadiness of the powered carriage. I'm sure the tool mentioned above will be much easier to handle, especially with wood.

Top Bottom