Knife Handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dl351

dl351

I was looking through my photos and found these pictures. I'm a bit of a knife collector (though being fresh out of school and jobless has slowed my collecting), so I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making knife handles. First is a SOG Seal 2000 that I made the cross-guard and wenge handle for. Next is a Ranger Knives RD6 with Bloodwood handles. After that is a Spyderco Mule. For that one I used black/tan G10 phenolic and black linen micarta. Next is a Becker BK2 that I used cocobolo, gray spacer material, and black paper micarta on. For fun, there are a couple firesteels made from thuya burl and mallee burl. The scrapers are hack saw blades with bloodwood on them. These were made before I had my lathe. Last, but not least, is a Cold Steel SRK that I reground into a full-height flat grind and put a walnut handle and brass cross guard on. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCF7787.jpg
    DSCF7787.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF7788.jpg
    DSCF7788.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF7789.jpg
    DSCF7789.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF7779.jpg
    DSCF7779.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF7559.jpg
    DSCF7559.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF7633.jpg
    DSCF7633.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF7528.jpg
    DSCF7528.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF7506.jpg
    DSCF7506.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 164

snyiper

Nice knives what do you grind the blades with? Always loved knives but unsure I could complete one and have it look nice.

dl351

Nice knives what do you grind the blades with? Always loved knives but unsure I could complete one and have it look nice.

Thanks. All of these are production knives that I simply made new handles for. The only one that I actually (re)ground is the Cold Steel SRK. That one was a saber grind (only ground partially up the side) and I turned it into a full-height flat grind so it will slice better. I used my dad's old 6x48 Craftsman belt sander. Since it was already heat treated, it was a few hours of repeated grinding and dunking in water to make sure it didn't heat up too much and ruin the temper. I've completely ground 3 other blades from annealed steel and unground blanks, but I still need to send them out for heat treating. I'm sure I'll post them here once they're done.

If you're really interested in doing a blade from start to finish, I recommend checking out this site:

www.usaknifemaker.com

They have plenty of un-ground knife blanks to choose from. IMHO, those make great starting points because cutting/grinding the outline of knives takes forever. With that part already done, you still need to grind the blades, get them heat treated, put handles on, and sharpen them. That's plenty of work to make them "your own" knives.

Top Bottom