Kitless Tubeless Ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

I've been playing around with some ideas for kitless ballpoint pens.

Here is a final prototype. . Not polished because it is just a prototype.
Also, the nose cone and top finial are made of Delrin, just as a prototype. .
Next version will have acrylic or Alumilite nose cone and top finial, or possibly brass or Aluminum. . And I will polish that one.

The prototyping has gone through several stages. . I think I have the dimensions and threading correct now. . Notice that there are no brass tubes necessary because the single piece body is sufficiently robust.

All parts made by me, except the refill, spring, and click mechanism (from a PSI Slimline Pro kit), as well as the clip (modifed, from Slimline Pro). . I intend to make my own clip in future.

I have chosen the shape of the pen deliberately to be unusual. . I rather like this shape and will make a few more like this. . The maximum diameter (top finial) is 0.62", the center of the body is 0.55" and the top of the nose cone is 0.43". . The various tapers were fun to do on a metal-working lathe. . The overall length is 5 5/8", not counting the pushbutton.

Notice that the clip ring is hidden by cutting a recess on the underside of the top finial.

I love the way the whole pen disassembles by unscrewing the two ends.

For the final version, I might use a Schmidt click mechanism and reshape the top final to match.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Good work Mal. Can the clicker button be made a little bigger? It looks a bit disproportionate. You know, a bit like the skinny kid in a football uniform with his helmet off. You're on the right track though.

magpens

Of course, Pete !! :biggrin: .... but the helmet stays off .... I hate helmets on pushbuttons ! . Like the Dayacom Long clicker is gross ... and so are some of the Cigar clickers.

Last edited:

BSea

That's a great pen. Kitless clickers are my favorite pens. I've never tried using the click mechanism from a slimline pro. That's a great idea. Mainly because it's easy to replace the mechanism should it fail. :good:

But count me in the "Helmet" fan club. :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
One thing! On your final product, would you consider rounding off the sharp shoulder on your finial and button? Just a personal preference. :)

MRDucks2

I like and was going to make an observation similar to Chuck's. There does appear to be enough meat on the finial to play the shape though, be it a chamfer, rounding, etc. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Curly

Of course, Pete !! :biggrin: .... but the helmet stays off .... I hate helmets on pushbuttons ! . Like the Dayacom Long clicker is gross ... and so are some of the Cigar clickers.

I wasn't thinking of a helmut or knob on it just thicker down the length. When I looked at the pics originally it was on my phone. Now that I'm looking at it on my desktop I can see thicker isn't possible as long as you have the kit clip that restricts what fits through it. Down the road when you make your own clip you can optimize the design.

magpens

For all you anti-flat-toppers .... I like the look as is ! . LOL :) . The sharp corner is broken so it won't cut anything !!!

Curly - Yeah I could make the pushbutton shaft a little thicker but as you pointed out, I am limited by the size of hole I can safely drill through the threaded stem of the top finial.

I could perhaps make the pushbutton shaft a two-step design with thicker at top.

Some are concerned that the click mech will eventually break. Which part breaks ? . I have made, and given away, oodles of Slimline Pros and have never had a breakage to my knowledge.

Gregory Hardy

Mal - I really like that. Question (genuinely a question, not a criticism) - the white accent band is a separate part in your exploded view of the pen. You noted that this is a prototype. I am wondering if you plan to leave that ring as a separate part for production, or if you intend to have it affixed to one end or the other - what's your thought? I ask because I had a similar part in a design for a pen I intend to make as a "standard model," and I didn't know which way to go. My initial thought is affix it so there is one less part to lose for the end user...but that is a pain in the backside. I am hoping that you are going to say, "Let it run free!" :)

magpens

Hi Greg,

I will avoid gluing it. I plan to size it better in the post-prototypes and thread it so it will be held on by the threaded stub of the finial.
That won't add much time. . Plus it will serve to hold the clip from falling when/if the finial is removed for refill replacement.

However, the preferred removal for changing refill is probably the nose cone, so this issue may be a moot point.
With the Slimline Pro click mechanism, it is better to leave it in place and not tamper with it - a slight inconvenience can result if you do.

Thanks. . Your asking forced me to rationalize my planning !

Last edited:

SteveJ

Mal

I hope you are working on an entry in the kitless contest. It is really nice to have kitless that are not fountain pens (not that I dislike the fountain pens, but I like people showing that a kitless can be a ballpoint too!)

Top Bottom