Kitless Fountain Pen in AA, Purple and Groovy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

2 full days in a row in my shop! I can't remember the last time I could say that. This one took a full 8 hours without a break for lunch. I made this after the same pattern as the aluminum one I posted yesterday. However the ODs are a bit larger and the tapers not as aggressive to preserve wall thickness in the acrylic material. Really light weight at 16 grams capped and 11 grams without.

F77F92D8-CCEF-4C8F-8B8D-6A2EEA222347.jpeg
93F4C69E-CB5C-4112-8662-EE90381DC2D9.jpeg

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good God almighty Danny, that's a beautiful pen. I gotta say you're doing some beautiful work. You ever think about retiring? I was going to ask what your employer was doing with the virus out break;).

More4dan

Thanks Tom! Chevron has us working from home, at least until the fall when the axe will drop for some. Double whammy of oil price war and the Covid 19 world shut down at the same time. It has been nice to get back on the lathe though. I may get bored enough to start grinding knifes again.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Nice work, Danny !!! . VERY nice !!

What is the overall length as shown capped ?

Thanks Tom! Chevron has us working from home, at least until the fall when the axe will drop for some. Double whammy of oil price war and the Covid 19 world shut down at the same time. It has been nice to get back on the lathe though. I may get bored enough to start grinding knifes again.

Danny

First off I hope your job stays intact. I'd love to see you make some more knives. Your knives are as impressive as your pens.
Enjoy your time at home and stay safe and healthy.

anthonyd

Hi Dan,
Shawn Newton posted a recent set of pictures and a short description on his instagram account (newtonpens) on how he designs his pens to post. Look for the picture with the digital caliper.

Tony

More4dan

Hi Dan,
Shawn Newton posted a recent set of pictures and a short description on his instagram account (newtonpens) on how he designs his pens to post. Look for the picture with the digital caliper.

Tony

Tony, found it on Instagram, seems simple enough. Thanks! Shawn Newton makes some amazing pens! #newtonpens

TonyL

Beautiful work Dan. Did you say in an earlier post that you turn your kitless pens on a HF metal lathe? Thank you.

More4dan

Beautiful work Dan. Did you say in an earlier post that you turn your kitless pens on a HF metal lathe? Thank you.

Tony, I use a 7 x 10 HF mini metal lathe with several modifications. The only things that the metal lathe lets me do that I would likely struggle on my wood lathe are; getting tendons just right for threading, and cutting the recess for the clip accurately. With a collet chuck on the wood lathe everything else would be about the same for acrylics and wood. Metal on the other hand is much easier on the mini metal lathe.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Tony, I use a 7 x 10 HF mini metal lathe with several modifications. The only things that the metal lathe lets me do that I would likely struggle on my wood lathe are; getting tendons just right for threading, and cutting the recess for the clip accurately. With a collet chuck on the wood lathe everything else would be about the same for acrylics and wood. Metal on the other hand is much easier on the mini metal lathe.

Danny

Thank you. Do you chase threads on the metal lathe? Really beautiful work!

ajsmalls

I use taps and dies. I actually get better results and cleaner cuts.

Danny

I use taps and dies. I actually get better results and cleaner cuts.

Danny

really dumb question how did you eliminate the step off from the body to the section of you are using a die to cut the threads? I am trying to eliminate the step off or the shoulder region without making the pen very thin or without using a metal lathe.

More4dan

Are asking about the body to the thread transition or the thread to the section?

I turn the body OD to the thread OD dimension to eliminate the body to thread step. I turn the section to be slightly smaller than the dimension of the tap drill size for the cap.

Danny

watch_art

Good question, I'll have to try it when I get back from our nightly Pokémon Go drive.

It doesn't really post. I would love to know how folks design their pens to post without threads on the back of the body.

Danny

I turn the back 1" (depends on length of pen) dead straight to the same diameter as the barrel threads - then taper the barrel and straight part down. Bam. Posting.

If threads are .500", make the back tenon .500", then taper the back 2" or so down so it's nice and smooth. The very end of the barrel may end up around .350-.400" Ø. Have fun.

Top Bottom