Kit that shows a lot of wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Looking for a kit that simply shows a lot of wood. It looks like a Graduate Magnetic RB uses 4.5 inches of blank. Not sure how comfortable it is to write with.

Looks like most single tube pens go up to a little over 3 inches. What would the best options be? Have 4 very nice blanks ready and want to show as much wood as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

+1 for the long clicker. One word of warning, however, is that the fit where the tip meets the blank is critical. Since the blank meets the tip at a pretty sharp angle, any "out of round" or more than about 0.001" deviation is noticeable.

Another kit that shows a lot of blank is the Panache - but it is a 2-piece. You do need an oversized blank - anything less than about 1" square would be tough (my memory is that the max diameter of the pen is 0.780).

cdwrrtx

Have done quite a few Mag Graduates for that reason, but have moved to the Zen. It has a better feel in the hand and being one tube is better for my application.

Also, if you choose the Grad, be careful when you press in the clip end of the cap. I made a spacer for my press so that I don't press on the top of the clip. It scars the wood.

Agree on the Artisan/Long Clicker. Looks great, but the click mechanism/style is lacking.

Attachments

• IMG_1057-s.jpg
    IMG_1057-s.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0961-s.jpg
    IMG_0961-s.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

MRDucks2

+1 for the long clicker. One word of warning, however, is that the fit where the tip meets the blank is critical. Since the blank meets the tip at a pretty sharp angle, any "out of round" or more than about 0.001" deviation is noticeable.

Another kit that shows a lot of blank is the Panache - but it is a 2-piece. You do need an oversized blank - anything less than about 1" square would be tough (my memory is that the max diameter of the pen is 0.780).

I have done some beautiful walnut Panache, but one of these four will be an EDC Pen for myself, so Panache wouldn't work well in that application.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Regarding the CSUSA Artisan Clicker and the issue of hardware fit at the nib end as raised by Sam above ...

What I do is make the barrel diam larger than called for ... about .520 - .530" ... and then gently taper at both ends to meet the hardware. . This tends to give the pen a pleasing shape and also reduces the criticality of the dimensional match to the hardware (although I still strive for a match). . Having the wood up to 5 thou larger in diam than the hardware does not detract from appearance.

Another option is to use the PSI Slimline Pro kit and replace the two tubes plus centerband with a single tube of equivalent length giving you a single barrel of length 0.423" ... also a lovely showpiece for beautiful wood.
If you don't want to buy the extra tubing, you can use the existing tubing and the centerband and turn down the diameter of the centerband (prior to assembly) to that of the brass tubes. . The centerband is brass and can readily be turned with woodturning tools. . Holding the centerband for turning on a woodworking lathe is a minor challenge that is not too hard to address.

Last edited:

penicillin

Attachments

• Long Wood Asteroid Pen Pencil Set Light.JPG
    Long Wood Asteroid Pen Pencil Set Light.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

John Eldeen

You could try a long boy from exotic blanks very clean lines and if you cut your own tube you can eliminate the center band giving you a little over 4 inches of uninterrupted blank. The action is also very smooth.

Attachments

• 20190111_170540.jpg
    20190111_170540.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 137

penicillin

Here is the same Rockler Long Wood pen and pencil kits as above. This time in zebrawood.

Attachments

• Long Wood Zebrawood Pen Pencil 1.JPG
    Long Wood Zebrawood Pen Pencil 1.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Long Wood Zebrawood Pen Pencil 2.JPG
    Long Wood Zebrawood Pen Pencil 2.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 126

magpens

Thanks for showing. . I see that Rockler calls that kit the "Long Wood".

Just for information purposes, it seems to be identical to the CSUSA "Artisan Clicker". . (If I have already said this, please excuse me ... :biggrin::wink:)

penicillin

Thanks for showing. . I see that Rockler calls that kit the "Long Wood".

Just for information purposes, it seems to be identical to the CSUSA "Artisan Clicker". . (If I have already said this, please excuse me ... :biggrin::wink:)
If you said it, I missed it.

You're right. The 10K Gold version of the CSUSA "Artisan Clicker" pen kit is the same as the Rockler Long Wood pen kit. Until your latest post, I didn't realize it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I agree with the comments about the difficulty of matching the turned blank with the pen tip. I encountered the same issues.

CSUSA offers three finishes. Rockler offers only the 10K gold version. Rockler has a Long Wood 10K gold pencil kit, but I did not see it at CSUSA.

gtriever

Here's another vote for a closed-end pen. Fun to do, and they look great when you're done. But if you're going to go that route, make sure you have everything you need. A collet chuck (like THIS ONE) is very handy for these, and Rick Herrell makes some excellent pin chucks to fit in the collet.

Top Bottom