Kid in a sweet shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Well pleased. been waiting a week for a delivery to turn up and it turned up on a friday! just in time for the weekend to have some serious play time with it all

my benchtop lab grade digital PSU - perfect for anodising or plating, keeping either constant voltage or constant current
537633_233180843455265_100002900521260_350957_990135085_n.jpg

A Three tank bubble etch system, for creating printed circuit boards
541130_233180813455268_100002900521260_350955_584699017_n.jpg

an ICD3! I am a C++ programmer, and using this device i can program, and debug microchips. This allows me to use my lathe & mill to make the components of some machinery i am designing, the etch tank for making the circuit board for the machinery, and this ICD for the firmware of the circuit which automates the machinery
527715_233180833455266_100002900521260_350956_1420523890_n.jpg

a few PIC16F microchips to keep me busy... though il be utilising PIC18's for my main MCU in the circuit
542528_233180803455269_100002900521260_350954_864218047_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Toys way out of my league. When I looked at the pictures of the power supply and tank I thought it was going to be for anodizing. Shows how far off I was. :rolleyes:

dbledsoe

How do you people learn how to do all this stuff??????
Some of the things I see on this site -from stone workshops to CNC machines - I just get amazed.
And that's not even mentioning what you can do with a pen.

Rick P

First time I have seen a pic of a shop and not been able to identify any object in the room......

Congrats! Seems like the new stuff is really going to be enjoyed! (now I know how my wife feels when I come home all excited about a new part for the sled)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
First time I have seen a pic of a shop and not been able to identify any object in the room......

Congrats! Seems like the new stuff is really going to be enjoyed! (now I know how my wife feels when I come home all excited about a new part for the sled)

I recognized the telephone - that's about it! :)

BradG

Toys way out of my league. When I looked at the pictures of the power supply and tank I thought it was going to be for anodizing. Shows how far off I was. :rolleyes:

ou wasnt all that far off, the PSU will predominantly be usedfor anodising/plating . and the tank isnt obvious unless youve made PCB's before :cool:

Huuuh??

I will take your word for it because you are so far over my head I am a little embarrassed.
:)

How do you people learn how to do all this stuff??????
Some of the things I see on this site -from stone workshops to CNC machines - I just get amazed.
And that's not even mentioning what you can do with a pen.
Books! I have done a sickening amount of reading over the years. not just on paper but with google the world is literally your oyster. think of any subject you have ever heard of and by just googling and studying you can become an expert in that field in time. Im currently studying two books at the moment. when my eyes grow tired with one and i need a break as i dont feel like its going in anymore, i start reading the other one :biggrin:

Hey, that last pic looks like what I used to solder into playstations... :biggrin:
yes you would have soldered MCU's into playstations, they are everywhere

I am still amazed that you are allowed to do this stuff in the house.
To be fair its a large home. so its not as though the workshop is intrusive on the rest of the living areas.. even with a screaming drill bit in the lathe you wouldnt be able to hear it from the living room

Yes i get the rolling eyes look of my wife with a smile.. think she's come to accept me coming down the driveway with an armful of "stuff" lol

I thought I was a GEEK! - at least geeks can turn pens :)

Geeks change the world :tongue:

I thought you said "kid in a sweat shop", but was wondering how lucky this kid was for a sweat shop.

That could be classed as my 12 year old son who solders for me to earn his pocket money :biggrin: guess he's lucky in that sense.. sure beats a paper round

tbroye

I used to use those chips in the last picture to Pirate Satellite TV signals. Those and some PC card readers and some other chips depending on Dish or Direct. It was fun and a challange, that why I did it. It is illegal as hell but I wised up and quit after they started cracking down big time. Cost 5K to settle, lesson learned.

CatSmasher

Geeks rule!
And there are more of us than everyone thinks. How else do you explain so many Star Trek and Star Wars movies, And what is the number one movie by a long shot - the Avengers - a movie about comic book superheros.
Go Geeks.

Last edited:

BradG

I used to use those chips in the last picture to Pirate Satellite TV signals. Those and some PC card readers and some other chips depending on Dish or Direct. It was fun and a challange, that why I did it. It is illegal as hell but I wised up and quit after they started cracking down big time. Cost 5K to settle, lesson learned.

They can be used for the good, or the bad... or for the grey area in between. from your calculator, to a satellite orbiting earth. MCU's can be programmed for most routines.

:redface::redface::redface: Lost me at PSU:rolleyes: Have fun my friend.

oh i intend to :biggrin:

ctubbs

It wasn't that long ago, well maybe 50 years or so, that if you knew how to repair a color TV, you could work on and repair anything electronic. Now, like everything else, one has to choose one small segment of the field and work like crazy just to stay current. Congratulations on your new and wonderful toys and best of luck on your new creations. Thanks for sharing with an old Geek (they called us nerds then).
Charles

BradG

I believe by definition that the correct term would be nerd, as they are generally at the foefront of technology, with geeks being a fan of the technology so to speak... but im not about to start a big debate about it :biggrin:

sure, the fields more fragmented now, though luckily the principles behind fault finding are the same, only the tools have evolved with things such as digital oscilloscopes and logic probes

bluwolf

Awesome! If I don't know what it all is, I can't want them:) But it sure is a lot of nice looking stuff. More important though, you know what they do.

Mike

BradG

I could put it all into context by saying it will allow me to build machinery which engraves and carves patterns into pens, amongst other things... but that would be cruel i guess!

I try and implement similar views in my life, though unfortunately curiosity gets the better of me and end up googling it, to then realise that i really need one of these things in my life... it invokes SWMBO to roll her eyes

Top Bottom