Kauri Group Buy - CLOSED - 2/20 Update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

2/20 - PO was closed yesterday, so the balance of the packages were mailed today. Everything has now been shipped.

2/19 - I should have thought about what today is. It's Presidents' Day and I do believe the PO is closed. I work only a block from there so I will check to see if they're open. If they are closed, everything will ship tomorrow.

2/17 - Only 11 more to pack and everything will ship on Monday. Maybe tomorrow I can make a pen. [:0]

2/14 - My wife called and told me that 6 more boxes were delivered today, so it is all accounted for.

2/13 - I got back a bit later than planned due to airline mechanical problems. Nine boxes were shipped on 2/9. Two boxes, 156 blanks, were delivered yesterday and the box with the certificates was delivered today. I will start packing stuff up working from the top of the list. I expect to get the remainder over the next couple of days.

1/31 - I have ordered the blanks, 553 in total. complete with brochures and certificates. They are expecting to ship the complete order on 2/6. I'm leaving town on 2/8 and will not return until 2/12, so nothing will happen with it that weekend. They were, BTW, pretty impressed with the size of the order.

OK, I finally got samples and we got a couple of pens turned. This is two views of the samples they sent. The second view is rotated 90 degrees. Then a couple of pens turned from two of the samples. Lou and I purposely didn't use the best looking wood.

20071195924_Kauri11.jpg

20071195954_Kauri22.jpg

200711951020_KauriJrStatesman.jpg

200711951047_AncientKauri.jpg

The pens show the worst possible wood we will get and most, if not all of it will be like the blanks numbered 3,5,9,10 and 11. The price per blank will be $4.95 which includes the shipping to me and PayPal fees, except the $0.30 per transaction. I know I can get 10 blanks in a $4.05 flat rate envelope, maybe even a few more. There will be certificates for all the blanks. You can either post your order here and I'll send you an email with the total amount for PayPal or you can send me an email through the IAP with your order. I will leave this open until January 31.

UPDATE: 1-23 I received a second set of samples from Ancientwood because Bob, the owner, wasn't satisfied with what they sent the first time. We will be getting wood that looks like this.

2007123152541_Samples2.jpg

Divnbrian

Gerry, I will take up to 20 if available. I do not want to leave anyone out on the chance of buying some of it and will take less if needed. I got a small piece of this wood from a guy last weekend and will be turning it Saturday. I love the way it reacts to light. Please let me know how much the total will be and I will send payment via Paypal. Thanks, Brian

Woodlvr

Gerry,
I would like 5 please. Please PM me a Paypal address. Thank you for your time and effort for this group buy. Mike

Mikey

FWIW, I send Gerry an e-mail abouty the blank size and this was what he sent back:

"The blanks are all at least 3/4" square by 5.5-6" long."

airrat

dfurlano they are 3/4" X 3/4" X 6". That is what their site says.

Put me down for 10 please. Email me a total

Thanks for doing this again.

TheHeretic

I will take 8 blanks please. Send my the total and the address to paypal ya.

Thanks a lot.

Dean
Columbus Ohio

Tuba707

10 please, and send me paypal info to jjenk707@bju.edu
Thanks!

By the way, this is my first post on the forums - glad to be here!
-Joel

Coy

Gerry,

I would like 10 blanks please.

Thanks for your hard work on this.

Coy

Rmartin

If this is still on, I'll take 10 blanks. Let me know, and I can send you the money through paypal?

A little info on Kauri:

I have bought blanks from Ancientwood Ltd. over the phone three times. They have always been helpful and I received the wood in a timely manner. I get the 10 blanks for 55.00 with certificates. They actually send 12 blanks. Out of those 12, I get 4 to 5 which look really nice. The others have no grain, and fall into two catagories of either a light tan, or a darker brown. I think these would make nice contrasting segmented pens. I have a pic of the three basic types of turned blanks but I don't have a photo gallery here yet.

The last order I placed I added a one board foot of burl. It came very rough in three peices. I haven't cut it up into blanks yet. One other note on the burl blanks. Be careful finishing. It will turn almost black if not done correctly. Kauri is a very soft wood and easy to turn, but it will bite you when you get lazy. I turned six blanks yesterday before I found one I really liked. Sometimes I want to give up on it, but the most requested wood I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom