Just wanted to see if these materials worked together.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

216027_159411680785572_100001502242963_349449_4882976_n.jpg

I'm on the fence with this one. I had worked on a different pen earler today, and it was a blank that hated my guts. It fought with me on keeping the tubes glued in, it fought against turning smoothly, it took 8 or 9 coats of thick CA before I finished it, and when I went to press the transmission in, CRACK! It now lies shattered across the basement. I did this primarily to feel better about it, and also to see if Honduran Rosewood would make for a good centerband on this resin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
:biggrin: NO!!:biggrin: I may/do some weird stuff, but I don`t like that at all, they don`t go together. But that is just my thoughts.
If a part does not feel like it is going to slide in part way with hand pressure, I will sand the piece a little on my disk sander.
I decided to do that after what has happened to you, all that work then CRACK!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice work but I do not care for the combination. On a side note I have launched several pens across the shop as well. :at-wits-end:

ghostrider

I don't care for it. However, It's a little difficult to tell because I can't even tell what color the hardware is, so I'm guessing that if it were different lighting it might look different.

jttheclockman

A few things come to mind. One the combo does not look good at all in my opinion and second is why in the world do you want to use a wood centerband on an acrylic pen. Doesn't make sense to me. Lastly when you pressed the kit together did you let the finish cure before you pressed the parts in??? Can make a world of difference. I see the cracking issue come up many times and am often asking myself if the op is assembling the kits right after they finished the blanks. In my world that is not the right thing to do. Like any finish it does need time to cure. Maybe dry to the touch on the outside but still offgassing inside.

Good luck in the fiture. Just my 2¢

Drstrangefart

A few things come to mind. One the combo does not look good at all in my opinion and second is why in the world do you want to use a wood centerband on an acrylic pen. Doesn't make sense to me. Lastly when you pressed the kit together did you let the finish cure before you pressed the parts in??? Can make a world of difference. I see the cracking issue come up many times and am often asking myself if the op is assembling the kits right after they finished the blanks. In my world that is not the right thing to do. Like any finish it does need time to cure. Maybe dry to the touch on the outside but still offgassing inside.

Good luck in the fiture. Just my 2¢

I was just curious, and some combinations of wood and PR have worked out before. The one that cracked was also PR, and the transmission tried to go sideways instead of straight in. Busted a big chunk of PR out of the dide of the pen. A cracked finish I can work with.

Top Bottom