I need advise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Hi
I started a new job about 4 weeks ago and to my surprise there is a light box and DSLR just outside my office. Since I've been struggling with photos I thought I would give it a try. Please take a look at these photos. I appreciate any comments and advise on how to make them better. I don't know what I'm doing I just set the camera up and took lots of photos.

It's a gold Jr. Gent with an M3 black and gold body. It's looks kinda green in real life too.

I used Photoshop Elements 4 to adjust the white level.

#1 ISO1600, shutter speed 1/200, normal exp, f/11, focal length 49mm, flash on, center weighted meter mode.

#2 ISO800, shutter speed 1/200, normal exp, f/8.0, focal length 55mm, flash on, pattern meter mode.

Thanks

Attachments

• pen 013b.jpg
    pen 013b.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 292
  • pen 017a.jpg
    pen 017a.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Why do you have the flash on if you are using a light box? Is the flash on-camera? Also, get the ISO down to 100-200. Keep the fstop at f8 or f11. If you are not shooting on a tripod, you may need to at these settings.

Penultimate

Thanks for the replies
It seems like flash adds a little more lite to the front of the pen. I was surprised because the lite box has lites in the front cover. I'l try the ISO 200 if I can figure how to change the f stop to f8 or f11. I've never used a DSLR before.
Thanks

alphageek

Former Moderator
Good pictures.... I agree with the above comments to help improve and do less post processing:
1) Lower the iso to 100... No reason to be higher with a tripod and static object.
2) Try w/o the flash (could complicate the colors since its probably not the same color as the lights in the lightbox)
3) You may want to spot meter if possible on the pen, especially with a white bg.
4) Eventually try and get white balance right to the lights - then you won't have to photoshop.
5) Be prepared that by lowering the iso and removing the flash, the shutter speed will be MUCH longer exposures. But use a tripod and turn on the self timer (2 seconds or whatever) so that the motion of pushing the button is gone when the picture is taken...

Have fun.

Dan_F

You will need a smaller aperture than f8 to get enough depth of field if the pen is at an angle. To be safe, I'd go to about f16. ISO 200 shouldn't be a problem, most of the affordable digital Nikon's start there anyway. You will need a tripod though.

Dan

Last edited:

PenMan1

Changing ISO to 200, increasing the shutter open time to 25 (1/25 second) and keeping the aperture at f11 should result in the same exposure as your first photo.

The difference will be a 4 X increase in resolution, or photo quality.

1/25 second exposure requires a tripod and remote shutter release.

This calculation is called the rule of reciprocity. Having a reciprocity chart handy or learning to do the formula in your head, makes taking photos in a controlled environment much easier.

Last edited:

MartinPens

Great advice on here. So many ways to advance in photo taking. You likely won't be able to adjust the f stop unless you find the manual mode. I shoot at ISO 100 on a tripod with a timed release. Usually f16. The tricky part is getting that light balance figured out. Just try a bunch of different light balance settings if it gives you choices and pick the one that looks most natural to what you are seeing. Have fun. Look forward to seeing some more photos. You should see a great improvement by just getting that ISO down to 100.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Dan_F

I'm looking for a new camera, and have been doing some reading, which is telling me that most digital SLR's aren't that sensitive to ISO, meaning that picture quality doesn't start suffering until you get relatively high, at least above 400 and often higher than that. Lower numbers were much more important with film than with digital, at least with DSLR's. There is no problem with using ISO 100, but some cameras might not have it available, so don't worry about it.

The most important factors for your purposes will be to get a good exposure with adequate depth of field for the position of the pen, which will require the use of a tripod and timed shutter release so that your hand doesn't shake the camera when you push the button. Two seconds is plenty of delay. I'd go for f16 as I said before. f11 might work, but both would need a tripod, so why take the chance?

If you note the make and model number the camera is, you can probably find the manual available on the web, and lear how to set the mode and make the adjustments manually.

There is a whole forum here devoted to photography that should give you some help with learning about proper exposure and lighting techniques.

Dan

Last edited:
Top Bottom