Just Makes You Wonder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Years ago before I started making pens, I signed up with an advertising pen company who would make pens specifically with my name and company engraved on them for basically $1 a pen depending on design of pen. All made in China. They were basically a slimline ballpoint pen. I would give them out at my craft shows for people who would buy items from me. Promotional gifts. Actually not a bad pen if I have to say so. Anyway I had to stop this because now I started making my own pens. To make a long story short they still send me every year a new designed pen to see if I want to start up again. The latest one I got was a rollerball that I have to say is a great looking pen as well as a great writing pen. Has a snap cap that works great and seals well. very light weight. I actually love it. But do not tell anyone. It has a gel ink refill that I looked up on Amazon so that I can get refills when I need them. Here is what I found. The pen and all the refills that go with it for pennies.

https://www.amazon.com/MiSiBao-Roll...&qid=1704918867&s=office-products&sr=1-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=yc19+pen...9_14562862&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_4tw5hifgur_e

My point in writing this it makes you stop and wonder why we do what we do when clearly there are options way cheaper. I do not think some of the refills we use even come close to these. Yes we make those one of a kind pens that are hand made but it better be a good one because there are options out there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

There are a lot of products out there that are much cheaper than handmade items. But I still think there are a lot of people out there that appreciate craftsmanship. I don't advertise my stuff for sale but I do get many compliments of what I make. And I have sold a few items just by someone looking them.

jttheclockman

There are a lot of products out there that are much cheaper than handmade items. But I still think there are a lot of people out there that appreciate craftsmanship. I don't advertise my stuff for sale but I do get many compliments of what I make. And I have sold a few items just by someone looking them.
I hear what you are saying and agree with you. But my point is why can't these pen kit makers do as well of a job making the kits. Some of these cheap click pens have a far better mechanism that works flawlessly and yet even the Shmidt ones will break down. The platings on some of these kits wear off so easily. China has so many different makers.

SteveJ

You are absolutely correct about the refills available online. Some are very nicely packaged and are much cheaper than the name brands, I include them with the pens I give away. You are also correct about the longevity of those promotional pens. I've had some for years which, like Timex, are still clicking along.

Woodchipper

There is always Dollar Tree. One can get a pack of pens for a buck or buck and a quarter, depending on the product. Wife bought a pen that was a stick pen tip stuck in the end of an aluminum arrow. OK, it was for a fundraiser.

ZanderPommo

One is a pen, the other is a status symbol.

IMO the only reason people enjoy handmade pens is because they're pretty (and that's probably mostly women of that view) or because they are a status symbol. They catch someone's eye and are clearly something that was expensive, which we view as a sign of success, which raises admiration of the person who owns it, and it can act as a conversation starter which makes a person appear more interesting, which leads to the same ultimate sense of admiration. (Sorry for the run-on sentence)
Of course there could also be some combination of those two reasons.

ZanderPommo

One of my best sellers is the bolt action pen. If you do a search on Amazon, you can find a set of six selling for just under $37.00. I can't even order the components for that.

Seven
This sentiment could be added to my previous comment as an additional reason to add to the others. Some pens, specifically themed pens, are "cool".

sorcerertd

I like to think of a handmade pen as an heirloom. There are plenty of pens out there for sure, and many write extremely well. I know people who would balk at spending $5 for a pen when they can get free promo pens from so many places. Personally, I like the heft of a nice pen vs. a mass produced stick with ink in it. The mass produced pens probably buy tens of thousands worth of parts (or make their own).

One of my best sellers is the bolt action pen. If you do a search on Amazon, you can find a set of six selling for just under $37.00. I can't even order the components for that.

Seven
Hmm, I wonder how durable the plating is? If you buy these and disassemble them, you could use the parts just like a regular kit. You even get gift boxes with them!

More Grumpy

Some people wear cut off shorts and a T-shirt.
Others put on a fresh suit, crisp shirt and new dress shoes. You know that feeling. Thats my customer, I sell him pocket jewelry. I sell him status. I sell him the best writing implement that I can produce at a fair price. And he keeps coming back!

PreacherJon

Well, I'd have to disagree with you on the quality of those pens. I think they look like cheap plastic. I don't sell a lot of pens anymore because I'm doing a host of other types of woodworking. Penmaking is just another thing I do. But when I was, I wasn't competing against them... I was competing against, Montblanc, Bentley, Conklin, and Caran d'Ache. Trying to make a pen worthy of that caliber but, seriously underselling them in price.

jttheclockman

Well, I'd have to disagree with you on the quality of those pens. I think they look like cheap plastic. I don't sell a lot of pens anymore because I'm doing a host of other types of woodworking. Penmaking is just another thing I do. But when I was, I wasn't competing against them... I was competing against, Montblanc, Bentley, Conklin, and Caran d'Ache. Trying to make a pen worthy of that caliber but, seriously underselling them in price.
And that is the way it should be. In a sense you are competing with these type pens along with the big names. This is why I try to make those one of a kind type pens. Something people would enjoy to use and not just write with. Those type pens that brag and make a statement all by itself. That is what we all should be doing. Someone mentioned "Pocket Jewlery" That is a good line. As far as writing quality I will disagree with you on that Pens like this write just as well as a $2000 pen. So you are selling looks over function.

derekdd

This sounds right to me. I would expound a bit on what you've said, if I may.

People like buying from local(ish) craftsmen rather than sending money overseas. Not always, but often. Of course, our kits, tools, etc., come mostly from China and Taiwan.

Customizable and unique. There's something to be said for having basically a one off item. People find value in that. They also find value in being able to tell others about their handcrafted special item. They are perfect for gifts as they show thoughtfulness and are quite unique.

The difference between a throwaway item and something they develop an attachment with. Not all are like this, but we often have a favorite mug, watch, pair of boots/shoes, etc.

For some, writing by hand, whether journaling, greeting cards, notes and letters, is a visceral and tactile activity. Having a favorite, or one of several favorites, pen to write with can be deeply satisfying. I had a signature pen for years when I ran a company that required me signing lots of documents.

My tendency is to think this is mostly a Baby Boomers generation thing, yet I get plenty of 20-30 yr olds at craft shows talking about their love and fascination with fountain pens. Heck, I ran into a young lady this summer at a show who uses a dip pen and loves it.

Ron Ling

I am in agreement here as well. I enjoy making pens and I don't market them but always sell one or get a special order when people see my work. I always get compliments and other than the pleasure of making a one of a kind pen that is why I turn them.

Top Bottom