Birds-eye Maple and Pacific Yew Modified PSI Funline Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

My first purchase from PSI was the Funline Slimline bundle, which should keep me busy for a while. I never use the center band on slimline kits anymore. So, I have a lot of center bands, and don't know if there is any way to use them. Anyone got any ideas? A woodworking buddy gave me some ⅜" thick birds-eye maple, an offcut from his guitar making. This has to be one of the hardest pieces of wood that I have used. Being only ⅜" thick I had to laminate to get a usable blank. I used Pacific Yew as a contrast wood. You can see the result in the attached photos. The plating is copper, which is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the photos don't show any birds eyes but they are there.

Attachments

• 2024-01-12_13-09-20.jpg
    2024-01-12_13-09-20.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 2024-01-12_13-10-37.jpg
    2024-01-12_13-10-37.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Very nice work. I keep all the extra parts from my kits. I haven't found a use for the slimlines but the trimline center bands add a new ce look to the 308 casing pens. I make a few game calls and have thought about trying the slim bands to make a small lanyard for those. Thanks for sharing

Woodchipper

Very nice. Like the look of maple, no matter what as birdseye, etc. As seen here, good to use with a contrasting wood for segmenting, etc. So many ways to modify a Slimline.

walshjp17

So, I have a lot of center bands, and don't know if there is any way to use them. Anyone got any ideas?
IIRC, there were several posts years ago of someone using the center bands of Slimline pens as the barrel and cap. they (I assume) glued the center bands over the brass tubes and then assembled the pen(s) as normal.

Top Bottom