JET 1014 Stopped turning!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

byounghusband

I was turnig a PR bottlestopper today, I had a small catch, turned the lathe off and now the damn thing won't turn back on!! :(:(
It is a JET 1014.

The cord I am using is a 25' 12/3 cord. I unplugged the lathe, plugged in my CMS and it worked fine. Not the breaker, plug, or cord.

The switch feels funny, like it doesn't want ot go into the ON position..... I pulled the switch out and I get ZERO continuity in any position.

When I took the switch out, I found that the two ground wires are connected directly to the lathe bed. Only two of the four wires inside the box were connected to the switch. One BLACK wire was connected to the right side vertical blade and a WHITE wire was connected to the left side vertical blade.
There are two more blades and two more wires, one BLACK and one WHITE. What are these for[?]

Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Have you had this problem? This lathe is 13 months old. I am hoping that only the switch went south....

HELP!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The switch in the Jet is a POS. Four wires should be connected to the switch. I've never had those wires pull loose on their own, but I've had to unhook them several times to get to the inside of the switch. It seems there is some play in the innards and the copper striker can fall out, so I have to reassemble. Anyway, just hook the four wires back up and you should be good to go. If you get them backwards, the lathe will run in the 'off' position and will be off in the 'on' position. DAMHIKT

byounghusband

Stan,
I hooked up the white wires to the left side of the switch as it is mounted in teh lathe and the black wires to the right side of the switch and ZERO.... [xx(] Not even backweards... [;)]

A this point I think the switch went toes up. [:(]

byounghusband

Stan,
THANKS!!! I pulled the <u>switch</u> apart and one of the copper srikers had slipped out of position.

<b>WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!!![:(!][:(!]</b>

It runs now, but that's gotta be fixed!! Anyone rewire their switch to better one?

mrcook4570

Bob, that has happened on both my mini and my 1442. The Jet switch is awful, but everything else about the Jet lathes is great.

Randy_

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Bob, that has happened on both my mini and my 1442. The Jet switch is awful, but everything else about the Jet lathes is great.

There have been a few posts recently about problems with spindle bearings and motor capacitors. The switches have always been a problem and a few folks have said the belts don't last very long. I'm starting to think the old JET may have a few warts. We'llhave to see how the new RIKON holds up over time. It may turn out to be stiff competition for the Mini??

If your lathe is still in warranty, I would email JET and have them send you a new switch. Even if yours is working now, you will have a spare for future problems.

clewless

When my switch did the same thing, I made up an outlet box with a switch and temporarily wired to motor to that. I've put it away for use the next time it happens.

Take the switch apart, clean the contacts, use a meter to ensure you're getting continuity then reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom