Jet 1014 and Var. Speed power switch issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tool-man

I bought a Jet 1014 several years back, heard folks tell about premature power switch failures, so I installed a nice push button auxiliary switch. Then I got the urge for variable speed and bought a variable speed kit from PSI.

When installing the kit I wired my push button switch in series with the variable speed switch, both to avoid any switch failure issues and because I had come to really like the push button switch. So the switch on the variable speed unit was rarely used. Just left it in the ON position most of the time.

Today my lathe would not turn on. :frown: Checked obvious things first, and then suspiciously considered the switch on the variable speed box. Long story short, it had failed and I replaced it with a made in USA switch.

Folks, the failed switch was a basket case. In a former life I had considerable dealings with electrical equipment. I have seen failed switches. But this switch literally fell apart in my hands when I removed it. It had seen probably less than 200 on/off cycles. The innards were cheap, poorly fitted, and mostly plastic. It did not fail electrically, as in arching of contacts or pitting, it failed simple because it was thrown together like some cheap kids toy.

I did not call Jet or PSI - I'm sure they would have been helpful. But at best they would send a new switch probably of the same (poor) quality as the old one.

There - I feel better with that off my chest.:wink:

Attachments

• lathe sw.bmp
    247.7 KB · Views: 211
Top Bottom