Carbide tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I made a carbide tool holder and am having success using it.
Is there a big difference between carbide tips? I purchased some from
Global Tools for about $25 for 10 ($2.50 each). I have also seen some selling for $14 to $15 dollars apiece is there that much difference?
Also what is the avantage of the radis side on some of the tips as comparied to a stright side?
71725d1330630364-carbide-insert-group-buy-carbide-insert-knives-sq-8r-byrd2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I wouldn't think that much of a difference. I have some from Global and have not broke into them yet but I cant imagine one of those $14 cutters will outlast 5 of the $2.50 cutters which would be about the same cost.

SCR0LL3R

I wouldn't think that much of a difference. I have some from Global and have not broke into them yet but I cant imagine one of those $14 cutters will outlast 5 of the $2.50 cutters which would be about the same cost.

You gotta compare apples to apples. From what I have seen, it's only the round cutters that are that expensive.

If you look at woodchuck-tools.com , their inserts are only about 2.5X the price of Global's and, according to Ken at least, last about twice as long. You also get the 15r2, which I don't think Global has, and round cutters if you wish. I was important for me to be able to get them all from one place since I am in Canada... Ken also claims his tips re-sharpen better for those of you that have the means to do so. I realize I am taking him at his word on all of this.

jjudge

square bits may catch the corners a bit more easily ... digging in

radiused bits tend not to.

But, I've come to use the square ones more than the radiused ones.

KBs Pensnmore

As far as using them for wood/PR etc is concerned, I don't think it would matter, when it comes to using them for turning metal there is a HUGE difference. Different grades are required for different metals.
Kryn

randyrls

William; There are two categories of tips. Looking at the side profile, a tip that has an angle of 75 to 90 degrees will peel acrylic like butter but will tear wood instead of slicing it. Side profiles with a 45 to 60 degree angle will slice wood like butter, but will be very "grabby" on acrylic. It all depends on what material you are using.

Off to a Habitat for Humanity build project now.

Top Bottom