January meeting North Texas Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Any other orders for donuts? ....... I will try to fill any and all orders that get posted on here by 9:00 pm Friday.

Lyle --- Please bring a large supply of the plates and napkins. The klepto tendencies comes out in me when I see that Texas stuff.

Thanks!

Oh, Oh!! Custard filled Eclairs, please??? :eat: :bananen_smilies051:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaylopez

I will bring a case of ViB (Vacation in a Bottle). I'm an investor in the company. It has no caffeine and gives you a calm, relaxing feeling.

http://www.drinkvib.com

200.JPG

Texatdurango

Bumped to lats page...
Food and snacks (latest update)

Last meeting, most members brought something to eat, drink or snack on and we had plenty without anyone being over burdened.

Suggested items would be:
donuts
pigs in blankets
cold drink cups
hot drink cups
paper plates
plastic utensils
condiments (mustard, relish, katsup)
chips
cold drinks

I will list here when someone posts so we won't end up with 100 donuts and six wienies... not that THAT would be a bad thing!

George - Dozen Bratwurst sausages/ buns and styrofoam coffee cups + 2 coffee pots going
Rudy - Donuts
John - Hot dog wienies and buns
Terry (a girl) – home made beef jerky and GOD knows what else!
Rick - condiments, bag of chips, and a 12 pack of sodas.
Bob - pigs in blankets
Lyle - paper plates, plastic utensils, and napkins
Mark - chips/dips and deserts

Texatdurango

:mad: 32 degrees! :mad:

That is what the difference between today and tomorrows highs will be! Yesterday it made it to 81, today it is expected to get up to 79, perfect weather for a meeting right..... but NO.....mother nature has to mess with us! Tomorrow it is only expected to get up to 47 and be windy most of the day!

So much for a nice warm day where we can open the shop and garage doors and enjoy the sunshine. Ya'll might ought to bring a jacket!

Don't forget to bring your best work to show off. We'll have a table set up to display our works and Terry had a good idea, in that we will spend a few minutes talking about some of our pens describing how we did some of them.

evanslmtd

Won't be able to make it!

As much as I hate to miss the meeting, I'm going to have to pass due to some unexpected events that came up this morning.
Barry

Texatdurango

Donald I sent you an email this morning and got a delivery failure so I resent it. Please post here if and when you get the email.

To everyone, remember I live out in the sticks... literally! I will make an 8 x 11 blue IAP sign and put it in front of my drive so look for it and be careful, my road winds up a hill so watch for someone coming the opposite direction.

beck3906

Just wanted to express my appreciation to George, John, and all the others that made this meeting possible. I learned several new ideas and enjoyed placing names with faces. I saw a tremendous amount of talent displayed in the various pens everyone brought which I can only aspire to.

If anyone has questions they feel I can help with, please contact me.

Texatdurango

Well it looks like we had another successful gathering and as usual I enjoyed meeting fellow turners and hearing different stories, opinions and learning little tidbits from everyone.

After two meetings now I think one thing that should be mandatory is name tags with both real name and IAP nickname. My memory is horrible and it usually takes a few visits before I start remembering peoples names. I hate it when someone walks up saying "hi George" and starts talking and you can't remember their name!

lwalden

George, my thanks to you and Sirik for the gracious hospitailty yesterday. I enjoyed getting to meet a number of new folks, and learned a few new things as well. Thanks again!
Lyle

rlofton

Second Meeting of the North Texas Gang

I want to thank George and Sirik for their hospitality in opening their home to us for the meeting yesterday. As at the first meeting, I learned some new things to try in my efforts to become a pen-maker, not just a pen-turner.

Thanks to John for lugging his Jet VS so we could all see what was going on at the lathe. He probably had Sherry carry it to the door and then he took it so it would look like he carried it the entire way. That Sherry has a hard life--and not long after being in the hospital.

I appreciate all those who shared their pens with us. I agree with John that there was a boat load of talent displayed on that table. There certainly wasn't any need for Don (the guy from that state to the east of the Great State of Texas) to be embarrassed about bring his pens to the table. He had some very nice pieces! And Lyle--forget it. My best pen to date won't compare to one of his mediocre pens, if there are any. Thanks Lyle for the plates and napkins too. Texas Proud! And there's nothing to say about George's pens except they are outstanding!

Terry's new line of blanks should be a real hit. I was going to turn one last night and got caught up in a workbench building project for a new lathe. But I'll get it done soon, Terrie, and let you know how it turns out.

The thing about this group that amazes me the most is the willingness to share all the collective knowledge of pen making with all of us. This is a proud group of folks--proud of their talents and workmanship, proud of their friends and families, proud of their fellow IAP members, and proud that they are able to pass along information and technics to others to help them in their goal to be better pen-turners and pen-makers.

As a side note, I ran into David on his way out from John's shop today as I was headed in. David's the one who brought the two beautiful girls to make our meeting more pleasant. He had completed his first CA finish on a pen and, I guess, had come over to get John to critique it. He showed it to me and WOW!!! I'm certain that none of you would have thought it was his first CA finished pen.

Well, some of us have to go into the salt mines tomorrow while the lucky ones don't. Guess I better get to sleep so I'll look fresh and beautiful in the morning.

Thanks to everyone who attended the meeting yesterday. I look forward to the next meeting with more anticipation and excitement than I did this one. Hopefully at the next meeting I will be able to say at what date I will be officially living on a low fixed income and really start perfecting this craft.

Thanks again all!

DavidDFW

Wanted to thank everyone for a really fun meeting... after the meeting, Dave Simmons was kind enough to invite me to his place where I got to see a ton of neat stuff - suddenly I want to turn bowls. I got some great pointers on how to turn a pen and got to try my hand at the CA finish I saw at Georges. I had so much fun, I went the next morning to Johns who let me get in on his CA glue order. Between that and the kits and such I ordered on the internet that night, Im a big fan of the US mail system.

thanks everyone for your hospitality... my girls hung in there pretty well, but Im not sure that after I had my youngest at a saw mill for 3 hours, I can talk her into anything "wood" related for awhile!

TomW

You understand this thread is one year old, right? There is another thread discussing a meeting in 2010.

TOm

Top Bottom