January meeting North Texas Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pentex

John sounds ok. I might have to miss this one, as I am thinking about taking a part time job and might be working. Retirement is getting boring.

rlofton

John,

As far as I can tell right now that date works weel for me. Got it on the calendar. The only thing that can mess up the scheule that I know of is honey does and I can usually move them bas a bit.

Thanks!

Texatdurango

Sounds good to me. I could host it at my shop in Azle (Northwest side of Ft. Worth) unless anyone else has a suggestion.

Any ideas of what can be discussed or demonstrated?

Rick, At our last meeting an IAP member from the fair state of Misourri was visiting the metroplex area and dropped by so by all means, you are more than welcome!

John and I drove down to San Marcos to visit the Central Texas group so if you can stand the drive, we can stand the visit! :biggrin:

SherryD

George, I believe your place would be just dandy for the 24th. I will bring hot dogs and buns. Is 10:00 am a good start time for you???

td

Banned
I've got us down for the 24th. I'll be the female with the black eye patch. (Otherwise I don't get to go) Suppose it'll be too cold for homemade ice cream? Don may object... I made that last time I saw him!

And I do promise.... no more PR eggs:tongue:

Texatdurango

It is never too cold for homemade ice cream. Y'all notice she did not say anything about PR icecream?

You may be right.... I can see her easily bringing a resin sundae complete with a cherry on top.

OK, we have a date now and a time... 10 AM until everyone goes home, but what are we going to do? Suggestions would be GREAT!

My shop isn't layed out to allow a lot of people watching a lathe demo, as all three of my lathes are against a back wall. If we are going to do a lathe demo, I will need to move either my big lathe or mini lathe out into my adjoining garage where we will have space for onlookers.

MarkHix

random thoughts for the meeting....

How 'bout a little contest....kinda practice for the Birthday Bash?
To enter, bring a blank and a pen? everyone votes on a winner, winner take all?
Maybe limit it to a style or skill level (novice, intermediate and advanced)?

jaylopez

I'm new to turning, and would love to meet everyone and learn some new skills.

td

Banned
Mike & Jay,

COME ON DOWN!!! If you send George (Texatdurango) an e-mail so he will have your email address he will send you the info about where you can meet us.

And don't let them worry you, I would never bring PR ice cream. Now the cherries may be a different story....:wink:

StatProf

Closed-end Fountain in Acrylic

I'd like to combine a couple of ideas and see someone do a closed-end fountain in an acrylic. I just turned my first acrylic tonight because my 6 year old really wanted the "pink one." It came out pretty good, but I learned two valuable lessons: keep it sharp and keep it skew!

StatProf

its_virgil

It's never too cold for homemade icecream:biggrin:

Looking forward to it.
do a good turn daily!
Don
I've got us down for the 24th. I'll be the female with the black eye patch. (Otherwise I don't get to go) Suppose it'll be too cold for homemade ice cream? Don may object... I made that last time I saw him!

And I do promise.... no more PR eggs:tongue:

beck3906

I am looking forward to coming and as part of the visit I hope to make some trades. I will be bringing several items I have used for displays over the years and no longer need. I am also bringing some items I have and don't foresee using in the future. Some of those items include kits, desk pen holders, etc.

Some of the items I am wanting to trade are as pictured below. I have 2 cabinets that have 7 drawers and 1 that has 6 drawers. Most drawers have dividers for 25 pens/items across with 2 rows each drawer. Each drawer is hand flocked.

If you're interested, bring lots of money or VERY good trading material.

Rick

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 222

Texatdurango

I've been waiting until today to have a look at the 7 day weather forecast since I didn't think too many would be interested in huddling around a propane heater in a 30 degree shop! It looks like next saturday, the 24th, we should have temperatures in the low to mid 50's which will be tolerable so I say its a go!

Everyone is welcome and the doors to my shop are open from 10AM until everyone decides to leave.

As far as demos go, no one has mentioned anything they would like to see other than two people expressing interest in a closed end pen or closed end with some threading. In either case I can probably do a hands on demo showing how or if Don Ward comes, maybe we could talk him into doing a closed end demo showing how he does it with his pin chuck.

If anyone has any ideas speak up now so we can throw some plans together.

I'll make another post about food so we can add to it as folks say what they can bring.

When I finish writing this post I will compose an email and send it out to everyone who has sent me their email address. A map how to get out to my shop in Azle will be attached.

SherryD

jan 24 meeting

Sherry and I will be there. I believe there are 4 that will be coming with us or following is seperate car depending on their individual scheduels that day. Let me know about food.

Texatdurango

I just sent out an email to everyone who has sent me their email address. Email is not perfect nor am I, so if you do not receive an email with 3 images attached, first check your spam or trash folder as some servers dump distribution lists in the spam or trash folder autimatically. If not there email me and I'll send a single email to you.

If you plan on attending please post below so we will have an idea on how many to plan for.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Food and snacks

Last meeting, most members brought something to eat, drink or snack on and we had plenty without anyone being over burdened.

Suggested items would be:
donuts
pigs in blankets
cold drink cups
hot drink cups
paper plates
plastic utensils
condiments (mustard, relish, katsup)
chips
cold drinks​

I will list here when someone posts so we won't end up with 100 donuts and six wienies... not that THAT would be a bad thing!:wink:​

George - Dozen Bratwurst sausages and buns + 2 coffee pots going
Rudy - Donuts
John - Hot dog wienies and buns​

Last edited:

rlofton

Since it may be too cold for some folks to eat ice cream, I'll bring my second favorite food group--- put me down for donuts!

td

Banned
I'll be there with my cannister of ice cream. I also thought I would bring some home-made beef jerky.

Hey Rudy.... Can I have a chocolate donut with sprinkles??? I promise that I won't pull any PR pranks!!:embarrassed:

I realize these suggestions may be a little late but how about:
laminating techniques?
cartridge (bullet) Pens?
knots?
skogger?
Pen Wizard?
pen box making?

or... during our SOYP time if we have a little time to describe one or two of our pens that we spent a little extra time on and why... or how we accomplished certain aspects.

Just a thought or two!

rlofton

Your wish is my command, Terry. Chocolate donut with PR sprinkles. Okay, no PR pranks (unless you can get one over on the host).

Terry has some great suggestions in her post. I would especially like to see the Skogger, Pen Wizard, or pen box making. I understand George is the top notch box maker. Maybe he will share some of his secrets with us.

Look forward to seeing everyone at George's shop. Thanks for hosting this meeting George!

Texatdurango

Food and snacks (latest update)

Last meeting, most members brought something to eat, drink or snack on and we had plenty without anyone being over burdened.

Suggested items would be:
donuts
pigs in blankets
cold drink cups
hot drink cups
paper plates
plastic utensils
condiments (mustard, relish, katsup)
chips
cold drinks

I will list here when someone posts so we won't end up with 100 donuts and six wienies... not that THAT would be a bad thing!

George - Dozen Bratwurst sausages/ buns and styrofoam coffee cups + 2 coffee pots going
Rudy - Donuts
John - Hot dog wienies and buns
Terry (a girl) – home made beef jerky and GOD knows what else!
Rick - condiments, bag of chips, and a 12 pack of sodas.
Bob - pigs in blankets
Lyle - paper plates, plastic utensils, and napkins
Mark - chips/dips and deserts

Last edited:

Texatdurango

I'll be there with my cannister of ice cream. I also thought I would bring some home-made beef jerky.

Hey Rudy.... Can I have a chocolate donut with sprinkles??? I promise that I won't pull any PR pranks!!:embarrassed:

I realize these suggestions may be a little late but how about:
laminating techniques?
cartridge (bullet) Pens?
knots?
skogger?
Pen Wizard?
pen box making?

or... during our SOYP time if we have a little time to describe one or two of our pens that we spent a little extra time on and why... or how we accomplished certain aspects.

Just a thought or two!

Hey Rudy, If Terry can have chocolate with sprinkles, can I have an apple fritter if I promise to be good too?

Terry I think Don Ward has a Skogger and if he comes down perhaps he could bring it and demo it for us. Also, I can set up my sled on the table saw and give a quick run down how I do my segments and knots. We'll just play a lot of this by ear.

I just finished my first ebonite pen a few minutes ago, you gotta check it out in the SYOP!

rlofton

Donuts, donuts, donuts

Hey George -- I'll bring you two apple fritters just for being a nice guy. Any other orders for donuts? I think I know what John D's favorite is but not sure my donut shop sells them. I will try to fill any and all orders that get posted on here by 9:00 pm Friday.

Lyle --- Please bring a large supply of the plates and napkins. The klepto tendencies comes out in me when I see that Texas stuff.

Thanks!

Invited Guest

If you don't mind me jumping in I'd like to thank the North Dallas chapter for having me as a guest last year. I met George at the Dallas Pen Show in October and he invited me to attend as a guest. As a new pen turner I learned a lot.

Thanks
Bill

Texatdurango

If you don't mind me jumping in I'd like to thank the North Dallas chapter for having me as a guest last year. I met George at the Dallas Pen Show in October and he invited me to attend as a guest. As a new pen turner I learned a lot.

Thanks
Bill

Glad you started posting Bill. I saw your post in Kieths thread about learning to do inlays.

If you make it over saturday, I'll make sure we make time to do a decent demo on crosses, knots and segments!

Top Bottom