Is this Drill press any good for basic pen work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The 2-3/8" stroke is not enough to drill for some kits. Although you can work around that by placing spacers under the blank after you reach max depth.

sptfr43

I have that exact one and while it would be nice to have a longer travel I don't find it to limiting. If I need to go farther all I do is loosen the vise and raise the blank a tad. and the price was right for my budget

thetalbott4

If that size is all you have the funds for (me too) you might consider Harbor Frieght. They have the exact same drill for about half that price. Has worked well for 3 1/2 years so far. Definately need to get a bigger one though.

Randy_

Ryobi has a another bench-top model that HD carries or did fairly recently.....has a bigger motor and a 3"+ quill travel. It is only about $50 more than the model you are looking at. Also has quite a few more drilling speeds. You should check it out. I think you will not be satisfied with the little one.

bob393

I have an inexpensive craftsman that could be the Ryobi's sister.
Except for the quill travel it works fine.
I think it will also work as an assembly press but I haven't tried that with mine.

alamocdc

Jeff, I have that DP and used it for the first 1 1/2 years of my pen turning. I got tired of raising and lowering the table to drill the longer blanks so I bought one that had a longer throw. Other than that, it has been a good little DP.

Edited to correct fat fingering.

Dario

I have a similar one but by Delta and it works fine. I sure wish I have one with longer quill travel though...but for the money I paid for it ($99.00) I have no complains. Does the job well, just takes a few more steps (and a few seconds longer) on some blanks.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by reef12
<br />Thanks.

So the drill does drill straight holes which is what I need now.[8D]
You'll be sorry,
Raising the blank in mid hole will get OLD real fast.
Bear in mind for every pen you drill the blanks twice and mill each blank 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom