Cutting Cross inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

This is how I cut the Cross inlay---No jig ---No router template---No power tools---I am only going to make a few for my use---- not a dozen before lunch.
The trick----simple---cuts must be smooth and straight.
The saw was less than $20.00 bought many years ago---it has two different saw blades---I like this bigger heavy one.

2006111513391_cutting.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

After I shape the inlay-----I cut the blank out to match the oval. It will only fit in the hole one way.
I have no ideal how thick the cross is but it sure looks good---hehehehe
How do you cut out the hole for your inlays??????

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />After I shape the inlay-----I cut the blank out to match the oval. It will only fit in the hole one way.
I have no ideal how thick the cross is but it sure looks good---hehehehe
How do you cut out the hole for your inlays??????
very well thank you.

jeffj13

Gary,

Nice post, but that isn't the part of this I can't figure out.

The snug fitting ovals is what has me stumped (never mind that one where the cross doesn't touch the edge of the oval).

jeff

dfurlano

I'm traveling but I still think if you drill a hole at an angle you get the same effect. If course I have been wrong plenty tiimes before but I am going to try it and post something over the weekend.

kenwc

Using a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig one could make an oval hole in a blank like that. Conversely,I think one could use a plug cutter to cut a corresponding inlay. I could be wrong about the second part but the first part is totally feasible and repeatable.

Thanks Gary

http://www.inlay.com/marquetry/wood_inlay_part1.html

http://inlay.com/inlay/index.htm

http://inlay.com/inlay/pearl/pearl.htm

Some good pages on inlay

jeffm19

Thinking one way to do this would be the hole and the inlay could both be cut with a router. Matching templates and a few jigs to hold both the blank and the inlay. Once the oval hole is routed out and the inlay is routed to match the hole, glue the inlay in place. Most of the time consuming work would be making up the templates and jigs, but after that it should be very repeatable.

The part that I don't get is how to make the inlay. I simply don't have the understanding how, nor the time to get in the shop and figure it out.

However Eagle does what he does, he does it very well and it's obviously very repeatable. He's got a lot of imagination, talent and patience. He's obviously very skilled and has taken pen making to a new level. He's already worked out the kinks, that you or I would have to work through in order to make it work, which means lots of trial and error that equates to time. Time is something I have very little of. I think he's done a great job on the inlay design, and you have to admit it sure does make a pretty pen, doesn't it?

Just my two cents

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom