Is it Right---question???????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Is it right ??????? This question is in regards to the post from China selling pen kits at a discount price.
Has anyone thought about the American Retailers who buys from them?
These folks are trying to make a living selling us pen kits and offereing customer service.
How would you like to be in thier shoes??????
Heck if you do many shows ---you have had someone set up close to you selling boxes full of "Made in China" items.
Personally ----I think this is a very poor way of doing bussiness.
They will not getting any orders directly from me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Gary

Your are right. Plus by going through our Retailers we have someone to call if we have any issues. Savings of a couple of bucks will not turn me away from our suppliers.

Darley

Garry you hit the nail on the head, I don't see any pen kit intersting to me on they site and in another way I really prefer to buy from BB, CSUSA and Ryan at woodturninz, I like they customer service, no problem for me to get the order and I thanks some friends in the States to help me out, I think the chinese Company should give a better discount to our suppliers then our suppliers can give us a good week SPECIAL DISCOUNT [:D],,,,,How That!![8D]

Gary Max

I am glad to see that others share my toughts about this subject. This ain't all about saving money---lets face it you still can get pens at the bank free.

mdburn_em

I don't think it's wrong for them attempting to broaden their market here, that's what a business does, I think. That being said, that doesn't mean I will buy from them. If I were one of our supplies, though, I would be p****d. I really don't think our suppliers make any/much money on the basic kits and here this company is trying to cut their throats on even that.
What might be more interesting is to see if the people on the forum could come to agreement on a "higher end" kit. Design it, etc. and then see if we could get this company to make it and sell it to us for a decent price.
I think that trying to get all these penturners to agree on something will be like trying to herd cats. [:D]

wood-of-1kind

Mark and others, this company makes some of the higher end pens for one of the Big 3(no I don't mean automotive[:eek:)]) pen distributors in the US. They will NOT sell these 'proprietary' designs so let's give them marks for business intergrity. Now as for undercutting prices/margins from the smaller pen distributors, I see this as part of the free enterprise system at work. Of course we the consumer have the final decision as to who we choose to support with our wallet$.JMO.

-Peter-[:)]

Gary Max

In this part of the country---we call that------
---Biting the hand that feeds you---
Just think of the money they have made off the Big 3 and this is how they repay them?????????????

Firefyter-emt

Just curious, do we know for sure this company is a supplier to "the big 3" or a diffrent company trying to get a market share themself?

What I see is a chance for some stuff we can not get from the "big 3" I have been e-mailing with them about some of the FP nibs. I posted up my displeasure with the loss of the 2 tone nibs before and little came of it, in fact it was brushed aside. If this company has a wide selection on nibs other than the "Made in Germany" ones we are stuck with, I would love to put a group buy in. They also have some nice products that no one else sells like the other ink converters that appear much more high end than even the Schmidtt ones.

Now if this company sells kits to one of the "big 3" and wants to cut out the middle man and sell direct to us.. Shame on them for throwing rocks in their "market". If the are a new company who does not supply thru jobbers over here then I agree, that's what the open market is based on.

If they want to compete, have good prices and good service, then it is no diffrent than some of the other small suppliers we deal with now, some of whom resell the "big 3's" products now.

gerryr

I really wonder if they do sell to people like Berea and CSUSA. In the past, some of the stuff I got from them indicated it was made in Taiwan, not China. I can't say anything about PSI because I don't use their kits.

I tend to agree with Gary, but for me the issue is service. If I have a problem with a CSUSA kit, I'll get the missing part or a replacement part in a just a couple days. Same thing with the other suppliers I buy from. Saving a little money on slimline or cigar kits is not a big deal, service is.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble and I'm not trying to turn the discussion political, but it is important to note that there are several mainland China companies who are clearly ripping off Taiwanese companies. The pen business is one tiny component of the counterfeit market. Remember that it was just within the past few years that mainland China unilaterally declared itself re-united with Taiwan. Since Taiwan does not accept the mainland's declaration, Taiwanese businesses do not have access to take their cases to either country's (if there ARE two) court system. That puts an outside buyer in the position of making an ethical decision. I believe that our suppliers do a good job of supplying the kits they select. If someone wants to create a new design and contract out the work, that's something quite different.

RogerGarrett

Gary,

I brought this up yesterday in the Business section with regards to their original post. I went back to see if I posted first (great minds must have been thinking alike at the same time) - and I was early morning. See my response at:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25597&whichpage=2

But you asked the question directly, and I'm really glad you did.

My son was looking at the biking magazines and the REI catalog the other day - to purchase new tires for the Trek 420 road bike he has (I gave him my bike after I bought a new Lemond [:D]). He told me he was thinking of ordering the tires. I asked him why he didn't just purchase them from Vitesse - the bike shop we have always gone to. He told me he would save a lot - even with shipping. But - what if he gets the wrong tires? Who installs it? Then he told me he would go to Vitesse to be sure and then purchase online - but I asked him how he felt about using their reps to learn about the bike and the tires, and then purchase from another source? Well - if it is significant savings - he should ask Vitesse if they will come closer in price - if not, then do what ever he can afford. But it is a parrallel situation isn't it?

This new pen kit company is charging $.80 per pen kit, but then an additional $.75 per pen kit for shipping. This brings it to $1.55 per pen kit. Ernie at Bear Tooth (and another vendor here in the US who posted once....can't recall the shop.....but offers them for less then Ernie if I am recalling properly) offers them for $1.59 each if you purchase in bulk (100 to the bag) - but then you have his shipping on top of that. If you are paying $4.95 for priority mail, that comes to $.28 per pen kit, and each pen is now costing you $1.87 each. If you go with the kits from China, you save $28 per 100 slimline pen kits. If you want black chrome or standard chrome, you are getting an even bigger break with the new company - but I think this is a promotional, not their regular price.

Of course, if you are only purchasing 10 or 20, you are getting an enormous price break - but with so few pens, you are still realizing only a couple of dollars.

So - ethically - what do you do?

I know nothing about this company, but I tend to agree with Gary and Lou (and Mark). They've already given the best reasons for staying local - but beyond what they have said, there is a lot to be said for maintining loyalty with your suppliers. It's nice to have a choice to fall back on if supplies are out at CSUSA or Bear Tooth, or if I have a specific need for black chrome in enormous lots and want to make a purchase on a one-time basis to fill an order - I might use this company. But otherwise - it is worth it to spend a few bucks more here in the US and support the guy who is doing his best to provide us with kits and service.

Jack maybe one of our newest members - but his membership is more like the membership of the CSUSA rep then it is a person who turns or is a dedicated woodworker. I joined because I found a site filled with woodworkers who share a hobby/passion etc. to turn pens and other objects. My first post was not to sell everyone a product. In fact, my first 50 posts had nothing to do with selling. I believe it was the same for most of you. I see that Jack's profile only provides a link to his company's website, that his only posts so far (4) have been sales in nature, and as far as I can tell, he has never turned a pen and may have no interest in it at all. I wonder if he knows that we use lathes to create pens? [;)][}:)] Yes, he may be a new member of the IAP - but..........? So far he has been up front and honest about his intentions. Only time will tell as to his agenda and to the integrity of the company he fronts here. I expect we will all be watching and waiting to hear comments from members who purchase from the company he is advertising. I hope it is all positive!

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

KenV

Here where you can see the end of the earth, a Home Depot opened last Thursday. Big Box stores are common hat, but I did notice that 3/4 inch oak veneer plywood was $90+ at the lumber store before Home Depot opened, and HD is selling that for $53.00.

I do factor in service, and other items, but I do know that $40 dollars a sheet of plywood is more than I am willing to pay for service. I have no complaints about the products and services of Bill, Ernie, or Ryan. I factor time and effort into my equation too.

Wall Mart did not become the size it is because people were willing to pay lots more.

Gary Max

Here's something else to think about----Look at the Donations that this site gets from suppliers. This helps this site stay online. When there is a birtday---who steps up and gives many dollars worth of gifts to the menbership---it sure as heck ain't Jack from China.

RogerGarrett

Here where you can see the end of the earth, a Home Depot opened last Thursday. Big Box stores are common hat, but I did notice that 3/4 inch oak veneer plywood was $90+ at the lumber store before Home Depot opened, and HD is selling that for $53.00.

I do factor in service, and other items, but I do know that $40 dollars a sheet of plywood is more than I am willing to pay for service. I have no complaints about the products and services of Bill, Ernie, or Ryan. I factor time and effort into my equation too.

Wall Mart did not become the size it is because people were willing to pay lots more.

Home Depot isn't in China. Neither is Walmart. Don't these big stores become the local, service oriented stores we want to shop at? They contribute to the tax base in your local town, and they are part of the community - employing people from your area and beyond. This comparison is just a wee bit off.

So let's make it closer...........

Let's say you could order 10 sheets of Oak Veneer Plywood for $50 each from a vendor in China (inclusive of shipping) instead of $53 each from Home Depot. Would you do that?

By the way, I get my 3/4 Oak Veneer Ply here for $35 each from a friend who runs a custom wood shop and does a lot of business in town. He sells to me at his cost - or maybe 2% more - and it really makes my life easier. [:D][:D]

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I think the comparison of Home Depot and Walmart is closer than we might think. Many of the items Walmart negotiates for, are made in China. So do we go to Walmart as the middleman, to buy Chinese goods, for the service, or the convenience that someone has already imported the goods? Either way, we just bought a Chinese made item, and Walmart made a profit, and so did the Chinese company that provided the items. I am all for supporting the local stores because of the service or specialty items. In this global market though, we dont buy all American goods anymore, or very rarely do.

I have a local wood tool place that is rather pricey on goods that I can get the identical item for cheaper at another national store. They also have specialty items, that nobody else carries locally. I buy the stuff I need from the specialty store when it makes sense, and shop for price when I know it can be found somewhere else. Sad part is most of it is not made in the US to start with.

I try to make money when selling my pens, and if I can get a decent price item for cheaper to make a few more bucks, I dont see the difference, unless the quality is not the same. I buy from the Big 3 Suppliers all the time, because it makes sense to in most cases, but there are times when things become available at a great price point, and I am willing to take the risk to get the item from another source. Should we not buy from folks in another country, just because it isnt local? I have purchased woods from Australia, the UK, and other countries, because they had items that were either a great price, or were the only ones who sold the items.

I dont buy any foreign cars, but I do realize that my brand new Chevy truck is all but assembled here in the US anymore. I still buy the Chevy though, even though it has parts from all over the world. Chevy is able to provide me the truck at the price because of it....Supply and Demand, that is all that it is.....

My entire industry went into the toilet when the corporate world went to outsourcing for software, and IT related items. It took people 5 years to realize, you get what you pay for, and sometimes things like that dont work, but sometimes it does, to great benefit for the company and for the employees. I have seen it go both ways. I have seen the globalization from both the bad and good side, and realize we are all in this together....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom