International Shipping Charges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Why the shipping charges are not displayed on parcels while on letters the stamp shows the cost. Search on google does not address this. Curious. This leads me to question the vendors shipping charges charged to customers and the actual paid by the vendor. As an international customer shipping charges are a major concern.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes, it is curious. .
I have often had the same question as you, but do not have an answer.
I guess one would have to question the relevant postal authority for each country of origin.
You do not say that your concern is with USPS specifically, but your question would apply to them.
Keep us posted, please, if you learn anything in your search for information.

One avenue of investigation would be to question your vendor about their charge for shipping and also get the relevant weight and size information plus the categorization of the shipping method. . You could then enter that information on the USPS website and do your own calculation for the shipping charge.

If the shipping method category is Flat Rate Priority in a standard USPS box then it is easy to look up the USPS charge for that on their website.
Other shipping methods would involve a more complicated procedure.

I have tended to trust the vendor to do the calculation correctly and to not overcharge.

But I agree with you that it would be "nice" if the actual amount that you paid were printed on the postal sticker on the outside of the package.

Last edited:

John Eldeen

I have also wondered why but as a person who does do international shipping what I can tell you is if you go to the post office the label will normally always have the price on it. If you use a service like stamps.com it will not have the price on it and it will cost less than if you go to the post office but there is a subscription fee to use the service. Most of my sales go through etsy part of using etsy is the shipping services offered by them. The rates through them are also discounted even on a flat rate box. The discount is not huge for me the discount is nice but not standing in line at the post office is the real benefit. I don't know if that will help answer the question but that is the insight I can share.

Curly

Something else to consider. The difference between the actual shipping cost and what is charged to you may be to cover the extra time/effort it takes to fill out the customs declarations etc. Packaging and insurance may be more too.

If you feel you are getting bitten by one vendor over others don't shop there. Shop with ones that are more reasonable. Keep in mind cheaper shipping might be because the packaging may not be very good possibly resulting in damaged or lost goods.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
USPS gives the shipper the option of including the shipping cost on the label. Most vendors choose not to display the costs for obvious reasons.

It's up to the buyer to decide whether the shipping cost charged by the vendor is worth the cost or not - actual cost to the vendor is irrelevant. Same as for the cost for obtaining, stocking, pulling, and packing the item itself.

robutacion

Well, great question and one that should be answered, however, there are some factors that the buyer needs to be aware of, one of them is, did the seller specified any "handling" charges..? are any taxes paid on that parcel...?, what shipping option was used to ship the item..? and possibly other considerations depending upon the Country from and to where the parcel goes.

Is my believe that bigger sellers get big discounts from the shipping companies but you are charged the regular price a smaller seller would pay that discount is part of their costs handling orders there is if they don't already specify a charge for "handling" and that would be double-dipping and very wrong in my view.

There are costs to the seller shipping parcels out, a box can cost up to $5.00, a padded bag a couple of dollars, bubble wrap rolls about $50.00 a roll, packing tape about a couple of dollars a roll, invoice pouches, warning stickers and so on cost money so, I cannot blame big firms to use the discounted rates to cover those expenses not forgetting the people that is paid to deal with the parcels.

Anyway, I agree totally that the shipping costs paid by the seller should show in the parcel/tag/sticker/label, is my belief that parcels coming from Australia do show or did show (Australia Post has made big changes to the system) those costs but I'm not sure about other countries, this thread does show that the USA does not show and it should.

Is not often you see a seller offers to the customer their shipping discounted rates as I did for many years and until a few months ago, even though as a small seller I have fulfilled the requirements Australia Post had at the time to give one of those discounted accounts that would only apply to International destinations, my request for such account was not to cover my packaging costs but to allow folks overseas to pay more affordable prices for the small orders I normally get, I passed on in full those discounted rates while I had them but don't expect all sellers to do the same for the reasons I explained above.

I don't care if a seller I buy from doesn't pass on the discounted shipping rates he/she may have, I understand the reasons as a seller myself even if small, I know what is excessive and what is not and if I have any doubts with today' online sources, it doesn't take long to find out how much money you should be charge to have your parcels posted/shipped to you, you only need to know the total weight of the parcels with packaging and if the listed items don't show the weight of the item, you can easily ask the seller or do a Google search and then add a reasonable extra weigh for packaging and you will endup very close to the parcel weight that will/was be sent to you.

Most businesses have automated shipping charges depending on the parcel weight and destination country/state, those (prices) are normally supplied by the courier company they are using, for example, my web-store shipping prices since I lost the discounted rates account are provided directly by Australia Post, there is, my web-store is linked with Australia Post where shipping costs are automatically calculated depending upon, total weigh, parcel size, destination, shipping option selected, insured/uninsured, etc., whatever that value is will show on the invoice that you will pay from, I, on the other hand, process the parcel making sure I add the packaging weight that can be up to 1kg in certain orders and when I process the label the parcel total weight by the gram has to be defined on the electronic form I have to fill up online (Customs, etc) so, unless I have covered each item I sold with a few extra grams for packaging, not only have to cover all my packaging costs but I will also need pay from my own pocket the difference between what the customer was charged and the actual price the system calculated I need to pay after the items were actually packed and this can easily be from 250gr to 500gr and that may represent $5 to $20 I have to pay more than what the customer was charged for and that not only sucks but eats any possible profits.

I'm sorry if it took me a "few" words to show you the 2 sides of the coin when it comes to shipping charges from sellers/suppliers, is it possible that some suppliers are overcharging customers for shipping...? I have no doubt but the majority has to deal with the issues I mentioned to make sure you are charged correctly/fairly and that you get what you paid for within a reasonable time frame.

Cheers
George

I ship internationally, but my policy is to determine the shipping cost before hand and to have agreement with the buyer as to the costs. As Hank said, if you are using the USPS you can opt to show the charges or not show them.... if you use an international shipping company such as FEDEX, DHL, UPS, etc their waybills should always be rated with the costs... another thing to keep in mind, in some countries, not all, but often the shipping charges can/will be included in the calculation of the duties, VAT, customs clearance, bonds and taxes.... one reason I'm sure Stephen is concerned about shipping charges.
As for prep of the documentation, we probably all do an invoice of some sort with our sales, that is about all needed in most cases as international documentation, unless it's a large high value shipment... then you may need to do export documentation paperwork for U.S. department of commerce... usually less than $250 no SED needed. Shipping wood and wood products to some countries will require fumigation and phytosanitary certificates which will run the cost up and may not be quoted in the seller's shipping charges until after the fact. I remember having to do fumigation and phyto certificats for all my crates to Australia... for the packing material, not the good I was shipping.
Also keep in mind that it's been 15 years since I worked in the international shipping industry so I'm sure much has changed.

Stephen

I have also wondered why but as a person who does do international shipping what I can tell you is if you go to the post office the label will normally always have the price on it. If you use a service like stamps.com it will not have the price on it and it will cost less than if you go to the post office but there is a subscription fee to use the service. Most of my sales go through etsy part of using etsy is the shipping services offered by them. The rates through them are also discounted even on a flat rate box. The discount is not huge for me the discount is nice but not standing in line at the post office is the real benefit. I don't know if that will help answer the question but that is the insight I can share.

duncsuss

... while on letters the stamp shows the cost.
I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned to you that the US Postal Service has for several years sold "forever" stamps, both for domestic and for overseas mail.

These do not show a price. Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 6.55.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-27 at 6.55.35 AM.png

darrin1200

Shipping has always been the bugaboo of the small (artisan) retailer.

In Canada, if you are registered with Canada Post, you get access to Expedited posting. This use to be about 5-10% cheaper than regular, and included tracking. Now, it is only a few cents cheaper but still includes tracking.

While I do ship individual parcels through Canada Post occasionally, most of my shipping is done through Etsy.
On Etsy, they are tied to Canada Post, and calculate the cost of shipping the parcel based on information I input. This way the client has the choice of shipping method and only pays what it costs, with a small $3 handling fee added on. This covers the box, the wrapping, the label and the trip to town to the post office. So I would not have an issue with putting the price on the label.

When I started using Etsy, their fee was only charged on the item you sold, not the shipping. It became common practice to lower the price of the item being sold, and inflate the shipping charges. This allowed the seller to have the appearance of a low priced item and also pay less in fees to Etsy. Etsy finally caught on, and now charges their fee on the complete total of the sale including product, shipping and taxes. Paying fees on taxes is a whole other argument.

Now Etsy has started another jab. They have, basically, made it a requirement to offer free shipping. If you do not offer free shipping, your products will be lowered in the search lists and will be kept from appearing on the first page of search results. For those vendors in the US, they have even set it up so that it will calculate the shipping and add it to the price that is shown to the buyer, thus giving the illusion of free shipping.

But I think this also lends to the shipping on the label issue. People believe they are getting free shipping, and if there was a shipping cost on the package, the illusion would be broken. People, in the back of their mind, know that there is no such thing as "Free" shipping, but they still choose to make that a deciding factor.

It sucks, when it is cheaper for me to send a tracked package to anywhere in the US, than it is to send the same package within Canada.

Whew. OK. Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant, but its over now.

Top Bottom