Inside Out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Years ago tried this method of turning something inside out on a Bud Vase. First thing turning the inside quartering the blank and rotating each 180 deg glueing them back together and turning the outside.
The joints are far from perfect but I only have a Bandsaw. I had 5 failures due to glueing finally settled on Epoxy which didn't help to disguise the joints but kept everything together. There is very little wood to play with. Surprisingly the finished pen is quite strong
At least I've accomplished an idea I've had for a long time.
Your comments as always would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 247
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 235
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Kcimdrib

Nice looking pen and great idea. I've tried to make ornaments using the same technique but could never get it down. One thing you might try is using an epoxy dye. Might help with the lines and add some character. Just a thought.
Sorry never herd of Epoxy Dye I take it you mix it into glue.
Thanks for comment.

magpens

Generally, I like the idea of this innovative design concept.
One issue is the bulge size on the lower barrel ... a little too much from an aesthetic point of view, IMHO.
Another is the visibility of the brass tube on the lower barrel ... Painting the brass tube a matte black would tend to make a feature of the brass tube.
Maybe you could paint it before assembling the wood pieces. Just a thought.

Kcimdrib

Generally, I like the idea of this innovative design concept.
One issue is the bulge size on the lower barrel ... a little too much from an aesthetic point of view, IMHO.
Another is the visibility of the brass tube on the lower barrel ... Painting the brass tube a matte black would tend to make a feature of the brass tube.
Maybe you could paint it before assembling the wood pieces. Just a thought.
Thank you for your much appreciated comments. I did think of painting the tube but keeping the glue away from the tube impossible.
Because on a pen you have so little wood to play with design is not easy the wood is very thin. I used a slimline kit because the tube diameter. Is small
After a few failures I was just pleased to make a finished pen.

magpens

Thank you for your much appreciated comments. I did think of painting the tube but keeping the glue away from the tube impossible.
Because on a pen you have so little wood to play with design is not easy the wood is very thin. I used a slimline kit because the tube diameter. Is small
After a few failures I was just pleased to make a finished pen.

I fully understand the constraints you were working under. . And ... I meant to say ... I am amazed that you accomplished as much as you did !!!

I applaud your ingenuity and patience to complete the project !!!

Kenny Durrant

I must say I'm impressed. I remember seeing this type of turning on vases and I tried imagining how it would look on a pen. I was busy with other things and that's as far as it went. I like what you've done and although I don't necessarily hate the brass tube showing I would like it better it something different was done to it. My first thought would be to wrap it with wood grain. Just to give you a quick idea, in the past I want a wood grain background for a stamp blank I was making. I didn't want to cast over wood that I turned down below the bushings, if I could do it to my liking, because of other issues that might occur. What I did was get a nice piece of would and made a color copy of it. Then the picture around the tube and there wasn't enough showing around the stamp and people weren't looking at the wood so it looked great. Just an idea of drawing attention away from the brass. This ISN'T criticism Just an idea. I like what you've done!

Kcimdrib

I must say I'm impressed. I remember seeing this type of turning on vases and I tried imagining how it would look on a pen. I was busy with other things and that's as far as it went. I like what you've done and although I don't necessarily hate the brass tube showing I would like it better it something different was done to it. My first thought would be to wrap it with wood grain. Just to give you a quick idea, in the past I want a wood grain background for a stamp blank I was making. I didn't want to cast over wood that I turned down below the bushings, if I could do it to my liking, because of other issues that might occur. What I did was get a nice piece of would and made a color copy of it. Then the picture around the tube and there wasn't enough showing around the stamp and people weren't looking at the wood so it looked great. Just an idea of drawing attention away from the brass. This ISN'T criticism Just an idea. I like what you've done!
Thank you for your constructive criticism and one I will follow-up. I had so many failures because of glueing and not a lot of surface area I think I lost the plot when it came to the tube and polished it try to copy the Gold Kit.
You're right I should have given it more thought.

Kcimdrib

I fully understand the constraints you were working under. . And ... I meant to say ... I am amazed that you accomplished as much as you did !!!

I applaud your ingenuity and patience to complete the project !!!
Thank you appreciated

Kcimdrib

I love ingenuity! And it came out excellent. This is also a platform that expands possibilities! Keep at it!
I love ingenuity! And it came out excellent. This is also a platform that expands possibilities! Keep at it!
Thank you I would love to see what someone with more skills could produce. And thank you for youre comments.

Kenny Durrant

More Skills? I do get your point and I agree there are far More Skilled people on here than myself. But this is the only pen I've seen with this process. Not than someone else isn't capable because I'm not trying to start a feud just making a comment. I'd say since your the first I've seen your at the top. Like I said earlier I like what your done. Take what you've learned and apply it to the next. Actually I'm anxious to see Your next one!!

Kcimdrib

More Skills? I do get your point and I agree there are far More Skilled people on here than myself. But this is the only pen I've seen with this process. Not than someone else isn't capable because I'm not trying to start a feud just making a comment. I'd say since your the first I've seen your at the top. Like I said earlier I like what your done. Take what you've learned and apply it to the next. Actually I'm anxious to see Your next one!!
Praise indeed. If you look on YouTube you will see plenty of Inside Out turning but nothing involving pen turning. For me I just wanted to try.
As for skills I do not consider my self as highly skilled I am self taught and been doing for about 12 years. I used turn Bowls, Boxs, Vases etc its only since joining the IAP that I've focused on Pens.
Thank you for your very kind comments.

PBorowick

That is a fantastic idea! The combinations of colors on the tube and blank materials could be quite stunning!
I have turned some of the inside out ornaments but never on this small of a scale. It is very intriguing...well done and very inspiring!

Kcimdrib

That is a fantastic idea! The combinations of colors on the tube and blank materials could be quite stunning!
I have turned some of the inside out ornaments but never on this small of a scale. It is very intriguing...well done and very inspiring!
Thank you very kind comments. I can only suggest have a go I would love to see the results.

Alan Morrison

Michael, good job with the inside out pen. I like seeing something different, and maybe your design will spark other peoples imagination to run with this idea.
What is the pen like to hold and write with?
As you asked for comments....... I would try the inside out turning at the clip end rather than the nib end.
I look forward to your next pen.
Alan

Kcimdrib

Thank you for your comments the clip end as possibilities. Surprisingly the Pen is very comfortable to hold and Surprisingly feels quite strong.
How long it would last with continuous use no idea but I intend to keep it.

Last edited:

sorcerertd

That turned out great! It certainly must have taken a lot of patience and perseverance.

I wonder, as far as people suggesting painting the tube, what about spray painting it after it's glued up and partially turned, then making the finishing cuts?

Wmcullen

This is a great project! Thank you for sharing it. I also love the conversations and ideas it's promoting from the whole community. You are doing some really exciting work and it's obviously inspiring others. Keep it up.

Kcimdrib

This is a great project! Thank you for sharing it. I also love the conversations and ideas it's promoting from the whole community. You are doing some really exciting work and it's obviously inspiring others. Keep it up.
Well thank you for those kind words. When I look at the work posted I realise how much more there is to learn. I try to stay with wood and fairly basic pen kits.
Inside out turning is a very old concept I just wanted to try it on a pen.

Kcimdrib

That turned out great! It certainly must have taken a lot of patience and perseverance.

I wonder, as far as people suggesting painting the tube, what about spray painting it after it's glued up and partially turned, then making the finishing cuts?
Not sure how I could do that but I do think the tube needs something doing to it.

Kcimdrib

I would just like to thank all members for the kind and constructive comments on my inside out pen. This is my first attempt and you have encouraged me to keep trying.. I think the IAP is a wonderful family of like minded people.
And the pens I see are staggering.

Sorry never herd of Epoxy Dye I take it you mix it into glue.
Thanks for comment.

I get mine from Amazon but I think others use Latex paint but I would check on the paint as I've never used it. Here's how it shows up on Amazon

Black Epoxy Pigment (Colorant, Dye, Tint) 6cc (0.2 oz.)

I've used the red and black with good results.

Kcimdrib

I get mine from Amazon but I think others use Latex paint but I would check on the paint as I've never used it. Here's how it shows up on Amazon

Thanks for the information I'll try Amazon. The next pen of this type I'll use Epoxy glue and try this pigment

howsitwork

Am I right i thinking you turned the blank solid then quartered it?

I've done bud vases etc using paper joints and it's a lot easier. little bit more cleaning up to do before reversing the blanks to turn the inside ( now the outside) but works really well. Never tried it on a pen though!

Nice job

Kcimdrib

Am I right i thinking you turned the blank solid then quartered it?

I've done bud vases etc using paper joints and it's a lot easier. little bit more cleaning up to do before reversing the blanks to turn the inside ( now the outside) but works really well. Never tried it on a pen though!

Nice job
Yes can't see any point when making a Pen. With larger items you would do it too change the grain match. But on a Pen not so important so I quartered it after doing the inside. Hope this makes sense.
You would put paper in the joints and break apart which would be difficult and I think unnecessary.

JBidinger

I'd be careful with latex paint. Water and Epoxy do bad things. I know some have used acrylic paint but just spending a few $$ on some Alumilite dye or Divine Pigments will insure you don't have problems.

Alumilite dye from Amazon and Divine from Turners Warehouse.

Kcimdrib

I just happened to think that must have been at least a little challenging to drill after cutting and gluing it inside out.
The drilling went ok I left some extra wood either end and trimmed to length afterwards.

howsitwork

Yes can't see any point when making a Pen. With larger items you would do it too change the grain match. But on a Pen not so important so I quartered it after doing the inside. Hope this makes sense.
You would put paper in the joints and break apart which would be difficult and I think unnecessary.
It's actually fairy easy , honest, and would eliminate your joint line issue totally. I use an old plane blade to carefully split the joints apart. Minimal glue ( PVA is good ) and newspaper , then leave overnight to thoroughly cure . Takes a bit more time

Kcimdrib

I'd be careful with latex paint. Water and Epoxy do bad things. I know some have used acrylic paint but just spending a few $$ on some Alumilite dye or Divine Pigments will insure you don't have problems.

Alumilite dye from Amazon and Divine from Turners Warehouse.
You guys amaze me how do you discover this stuff yet alone use it you must do so much reacearch

Kcimdrib

It's actually fairy easy , honest, and would eliminate your joint line issue totally. I use an old plane blade to carefully split the joints apart. Minimal glue ( PVA is good ) and newspaper , then leave overnight to thoroughly cure . Takes a bit more time
Next time I'll give it a go thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom