Imitation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."

― Oscar Wilde

Early on when I started on this forum I saw this post from JTClockman: https://www.penturners.org/threads/my-jig.104253/

It has only taken me 7 years to finally take up my personal challenge and attempt something like it.

This is the result. Made from Oak and Padauk. Slots cut using 1/8 inch router bit. Five accent strips. I pay homage to the greatness of JT!

JT Copy.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well I'll be. Call me flattered. I actually contributed something here in 14 years. The student has surpassed the teacher as they say. I like the shift in design. The overall use of material works well together and the presentation is all very good. Have to ask how did you do it?? Did you build a similar jig or something else and use a metal lathe?? Do you have a few photos of your setup that you can share?? I vote like!! Have to say thank you too.

The thing about that thread was that for the longest time those photos were lost because Photobucket became a big money grabber and got away from the free storage thing. They still are but allowed photos to be seen but now have that large add on them. I probably should just post those photos from my computer instead. I have made a few changes to that jig or at least one that will increase my ideas and make the easier to do. When I get back into making some pens I will post a new thread on this. Take a few more photos too.

Last edited:

SteveJ

I built a jig to attach a small router to my taig lathe and used it along with an index plate. I should have used a longer dowel because I barely had enough of the slotted pieces. Also, if I were to do another i would use a smaller bit. 1/8 is in my opinion a bit too wide for this application. Although not real evident in the photo, I had difficulty with alignment and good square pieces. I don't know why the is black at some of the glue lines. Although I like the look of the oak and padauk, I believe JT's is cleaner looking.

Here are a couple of pictures of my set up - although I had taken the jig off the lathe you should be able to picture how it works. I would love to do it on my Shopsmith, but it lacks an index plate.

Taig Attachment 1.jpg
Taig Attachment 2.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Finally got to sit down and look more leisurely at this.

Very excellent work with a "classic" design - yes, I also admire JT's set and view it as a classic.

I also love seeing your jig. Seeing how others work towards similar concepts is very interesting. I appreciate the challenges that went into this and hope you continue this pathway.

Well done Steve.

jttheclockman

I too like to see others adapt a basic idea and add their touch and ideas. I was hoping someone would take this idea and run with it. I know SkipRat has done something similar and he uses a metal lathe and is able to do more angle things. I am or at least have some ideas on how to accomplish that with my set up too and at some time hope to expand in the idea. Yes an indexing plate is a necessity. I like it and thanks for showing the set up. Maybe other will try their hand at it some day too. Well done.

Top Bottom