Ideas on what kind of wood this may be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alchemist

A friend gave me a big block of this wood... he didn't know what it was. I have no clue!
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
Image1610064857.362474.jpg
Image1610064871.809435.jpg

Testing out my new bandsaw... the wood smells sweet and peppery. It seems pretty dense too.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Fred nailed it for the end grain - certainly a Palm (look with a magnification glass, are there eyeballs, aliens looking back???). However, I would suggest you consider Red Palm. I have used both extensively, and suspect it is Red Palm vs Black Palm. In the thread below, skip to the bottom right side picture of the 'Alien' endgrain.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Palm is notorious for being a 'fussy' turn... Dense, but prone to chipping, in my opinion. I have used it for trim rings as well as full blanks. I liberally apply CA when turning, especially when close to the bushings and thin sections. Palm is a monocot; think of a bundle of straws vs annual growth rings. It will accept thin CA via the end grain very easily.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The top set of pictures does not look like palm to me. Palm, red or black have those dark "needed/spears" as in the red palm labeled blank. The top pictures that you have questions about do not have those needle/spear like striations. The top picture's end grain does not look like end grain on any of the palm that I have had. End grain on palm will have dark red or black circle like grains while the top picture has capillary holes in a dark grain background.

Alchemist

The endgrain looks Merbau to me, this wood has many colour variations and is certainly very heavy/dense.

Cheers
George

I think that this is more likely the wood type. Specifically, because the afzelia has "no significant smell or odor" on the database.

When cutting this block, it definitely has a sweet, peppery/spice scent to it.

Thank you all for chiming in! It's great to get assistance in learning something new!

Alchemist

Well if sticking to that then how about this The problem is the color. Woods like cocabola and rosewoods smell like that but are darker in color.

https://www.wood-database.com/spanish-cedar/

I'm thinking the color is off from the cedar. The smell isn't of cedar either. I think we are heading on the right track with Afzelia and Merbau. I'm thinking closer to Afzelia (Doussie)?

Matches closer to color to me.

1080Wayne

howsitwork

I'm wondering now whether this block I rescued from a pallet ( originally transporting indian marble tiles ) might be afzelia

thoughts please?E5EF2410-1584-4EBF-A532-8FEA7939FE76.jpegpaler wood is the sapwood.
22646CA7-278D-47AD-B586-38C926161616.jpeg
B5798876-F10A-4E3F-A0C9-81043271A20E.jpeg
Splinters like anything and a challenge to plane smooth. not sure as yet whether it'll make pens but very hard and heavy.

Alchemist

Sorry , assumed you would have read this https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/fluorescence-a-secret-weapon-in-wood-identification/
The complete article on afzelia suggests there are some differences between the related species , although local growing conditions will also have an effect .

I didn't see the article. My son and I have done the black light with rocks and minerals. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Top Bottom