I would like to turn a little curio/trinket box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbellek

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbellek

But I have no idea where to start. I am kind of new at woodturning... I was wondering if anyone would know of where I could find instructions or something like a project guide for this?

Here are some ideas of what I want to make (or the closest things to what I see in my head that I could find on the internet)--I realize that some of the details may be accomplished by something other than a lathe, but I'm just showing them for basic shape & size...

z_59.jpg

20050092b1.jpg

Does anyone know of where I could find out how to make these? My local woodcraft doesn't have anything going on...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Melanie:

Check out the book section at Amazon, there are lots of turning books there. That's how I learned to turn, such as it is.[;)] Seems like Woodcraft would carry them also, though there's no Woodcraft by me so I couldn't say for sure. I know my local Rockler does.

Rudy Vey

Chris Stott has a great DVD for boxes, here is a link to smartflix where you can rent it:
http://smartflix.com/store/video/2040/A-lesson-with-Chris-Stott-Turning-Boxes

You can the dvd also buy at CSUSA. Also, Raffan has a DVD on boxes.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
This magazine from Fine WoodWorking has (in my opinion) lots of good information for all levels of wood turners.
It should still be on book store shelfs like B&N or whatever your local bookstore is, and of course Woodcraft stores.
One article in particle by Richard Raffan on turning wooden boxes is worth the $8.99 cost (in my opinion)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignArticle.aspx?id=28765

toolcrazy

I just love Richard Raffan's "Turning Boxes"

I totally agree with PenHead. [:D]

As soon as my webhosting site gets close to finished, I'm gonna spend some time turning boxes.

Why am I here, I should be in the shop. [:D][:D]

ahoiberg

i'll second bruce's recommendation of woodturningonline.com
aside from the articles, there's a bunch of projects that walk you through various turning projects. i found one tutorial that helped me turn my first box from a 2x4, it was a great way to learn. turning a functional box isn't all that difficult but make sure you have a good hollowing tool.

Snazzypens

or go to Cindy Drozda website she has all her teaching pamphlets on line there for you to learn. She is brilliant and on weekend on the woodworking channel for free you get to see her free on live stream hope that helps
Toni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom